Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Mouth slips below mask
Mouth slips below mask
Hello. I have been using a Simplus full face mask with the RedMed AirSense 10 for a couple weeks now, and I find I have an issue each night. I fall asleep, and then at some point I wake up in the night and the mask is halfway off my face... that is, the mask has slipped upwards and my mouth is open with my lips straddling the bottom seal. The air is then very loud and I wake up and adjust the mask, putting it in its proper place. But then I rinse and repeat as the same thing happens several times in the night.

I would really like to remedy this, as I'm sure I'm not getting the proper CPAP therapy if half of my mouth is below the mask!

During the day, I almost exclusively breathe through my nose, and when I'm in bed before I fall asleep I breathe through my nose... but I obviously open my mouth up in my sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth slips below mask
Carbonate, welcome to Apnea Board and also the Stealth Nighttime Mouth Breathers Club. I've recently joined that club myself after not doing it for the first several months on CPAP. Grumble...

I also use a Simplus. My first thought is to check is if the straps are tight enough. At 14, I do need to snug the straps down to prevent side leaks. Also check what size of mask you have (Small, Medium, or Large). Going up or down a size may help. You might also try a chin strap over the mask to hold it in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Carbonate,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there, and thank you for the welcome! Thank you for the suggestions. I was looking into chinstraps, but to my understanding they are more for nasal masks and not full masks. However, if I can get one to work with my mask I will be more than happy to try it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I made a strap out of those 6 inch small straps used for computer cords. They have Velcro on one end. Took two, and fooled around making a loop at both ends and the Velcro connects them. Then I put one lower mask strap through one loop and leave it there after I get the correct length figured out. Every night I slide the other lower mask strap through the other loop.

When I got it correctly set up, I covered with soft material. I think there is a commercial one like this out there. I have used it with the Simplus as well as the AirFitF10
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2016, 06:07 AM)Barbz Wrote: I made a strap out of those 6 inch small straps used for computer cords. They have Velcro on one end. Took two, and fooled around making a loop at both ends and the Velcro connects them. Then I put one lower mask strap through one loop and leave it there after I get the correct length figured out. Every night I slide the other lower mask strap through the other loop.

When I got it correctly set up, I covered with soft material. I think there is a commercial one like this out there. I have used it with the Simplus as well as the AirFitF10

Would what you are describing look like this?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 384 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 319 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 810 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,169 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.