Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Mouth tape comes off due to saliva
Mouth tape comes off due to saliva
Hello,
I use a nasal mask (bc had too many leaks with full face mask) with mouth taping and chinstrap. Usually I wake up around the 6 hour mark and one side of my mouth tape (3M tape) comes off because the saliva messes it up. I think when it comes off i may end up leaking air out of my mouth which isnt optimal and might wake me up. 
Any advice on what I should do? 
Should I go back to trying full face mask with something like mask liners to see if that helps with the leak? I had an F and P vitera for reference. 

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth tape comes off due to saliva
Hi there. I also use tape but had to stop the 3M because it actually tore skin off upon removal. I now use Cover-Roll Stretch  from Amazon. I get two nights use from each piece. Comes in handy dispenser box (10 yards) and the paper cover on adhesive side is marked in centimeters so cutting off about 4 inches (10cm) is easy. 
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't tape my lips; i've tried it and wasn't comfortable. I have some 3M tape too. My issue---tape is too sticky. It hurts taking it off. They have so many products!

Many many people here do tape. I'm sure they will answer soon.

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2021, 05:03 PM)Chuckbtc Wrote: Hi there. I also use tape but had to stop the 3M because it actually tore skin off upon removal. I now use Cover-Roll Stretch  from Amazon. I get two nights use from each piece. Comes in handy dispenser box (10 yards) and the paper cover on adhesive side is marked in centimeters so cutting off about 4 inches (10cm) is easy. 
Sleep-well

Exactly what I was doing to say about 3M tape and Cover-Roll Stretch (or Hypafix is the same thing too).  I get the 2 inch wide rolls and it works excellent!  As long as I pull it off slow, it comes off without damaging my skin.

I found using 3M Cavilon made the tape not remove my skin in morning too but I still had adhesive stuck to my face and it just isn't as good even with the Cavilon as the Hypafix/Cover Roll Stretch.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many have ditched the Micropore: too tough on the skin and lips, hard to remove, ouch: once use only.

I and many others use Fixomull Sensitive (that's the brand name here in Oz). Made in Germany. BSN. Pricey. Excellent. Comes off good, does not rip the skin or lips. I can use this for 3 or 4 nights running. Sticks even if I have not shaved for a day. Best of all it leaves practically no residue.

I also use this instead of "band-aids" or plasters for cuts and scrapes or sutures (with non stick dressings). Most bandaids give me read rash. Fixomull does not.

Please don't give up on taping till you have tried this or one of their similar products.

BSN make a number of different tapes: I have bought short lengths here in the local pharmacy to find the best one of me: maybe buy and try one or two, and then when you find the one you like order online in bulk for good savings.
Post Reply Post Reply
After trying CVS tape, 3M Micropore, and 3M Medipore, I settled on the Medipore.  The perforations make it really easy to pull a piece off.  Two sections cover my mouth completely.  It is a very flexible tape and survives the night well.  Although 3M says that it has higher adhesion, I find it easier to remove than the Micropore.  It also is more breathable than the Micropore.  On my first use of Micropore, I actually pulled skin off when I removed it and had a scab just above my upper lip for a couple of days.  The real key for me is the removal technique.  I no longer attempt to just pull the tape off.  I work it off from the inside by pushing my tongue around my lips and gradually working it loose from the inside.  Making it wet with saliva and pushing allows me to get it off almost completely without pulling it off.  A gentle tug will release it from the last couple of adhesion point.

I have been using a full face mask - additional benefit - I no longer drool inside the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had a lot of problems with removing the regular (white) 3M Nexcare Micropore tape and saw 3M Nexcare for Sensitive Skin (pale blue) at Walgreens. Figured what the heck, it is worth a go. It has worked very well much to my surprise. Easy to remove with no skin irritation and bleeding that has happening with the regular tape.
Post Reply Post Reply
@ cdplatt thanks for the heads up: another product to look at and test. 3M Medipore.

I am interested in your comment about this being more breathable. Does this mean you can actually breathe through this with full mouth taping? with your mouth fully taped?  

do you know if this is reflected in your leak rates?

I am only asking because I don't yet fully mouth tape: I leave a small gap in the middle.

I am also interested in your using this with your full face mask, i have tried that in the past with little success.

It is so interesting to see what solutions other people have!

thanks for sharing!
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Cover-roll with good results. It is 2 inches wide and I use a piece 3 inches in length, so it more than covers my mouth. I do not reuse it, but I am able to peel it back to take Advil or other meds and re-stick it. In the mornings, I un-stick it from my lips with my tongue from the inside and I have not had a problem with peeling off skin. It makes a difference for me lowering AHIs and it helps with dry mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can pull air through the Medipore tape, but not a large volume.  It's just enough to keep me from panicking if I wake up in the middle of the night and try to breathe through my mouth momentarily forgetting that I'm taped.  The CVS tape however, does allow me to breath through it or push my tongue right through it.  The only reason it isn't my first choice is because it doesn't have the perforations.  I'm lazy and like just pulling off a neat piece of tape without scissors or trying to tear a straight line.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Novel alternative to tape? HalfAsleep 4 218 4 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 10 1,330 4 hours ago
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 163 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 928 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 129 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 669 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 228 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.