Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Mouth tape comes off due to saliva
RE: Mouth tape comes off due to saliva
I also use a nasal mask. I use the 2" (5 cm) Hypafix and a generic lip balm to keep the tape from sticking to my lips. I use a piece of tape 4" long with one end folded on itself to make a tab for easier removal. The net sticky surface is about 2" x 3-1/2". The tape stays on and doesn't leak. I don't try to re-use a piece. Tape is cheap, wife is happy, 'nuff said. Hypafix has a grid on the peel-off backing, so it is easy to cut the desired length every time.

If you haven't already, make sure you're using a piece that is long enough to extend 1/2" or more beyond the corners of your mouth. I'm very careful about centering the tape horizontally over my mouth which is about 2-1/4" wide from corner to corner.

Also, I realized around the 2nd week of using mouth tape that the tape made my chin strap redundant. Simplicity is a cpap virtue. I ditched the chin strap and fine tuned the nasal mask's headgear. I've never used the humidifier. I let a couple of Spry Gems mints melt overnight to avoid dry mouth.

My mouth is still moist in the morning. No drooling issues - and I used to drool using the chin strap without tape no matter how tightly fitted. Most nights my AHI are between 1.0 and 2.0. My morning bed hair is less of a disaster due to ditching the ineffective chin strap.

Don't give up. It is just a matter of figuring out the tweaks that will work for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the N20 mask and must tape. I have only ever used the 3M NexCare 'water resistant' tape, white in a white plastic spool with cylinder 'wrapper'. I make sure my mouth area is clean and dry, but the key for me is to actively press the tape quite hard all over its surface to ensure a good adhesion. This has worked for me, reliably, for four years now.
Post Reply Post Reply
thank you everyone for your advice. I got several different types of tape and will be trying them out!
Thank you again Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you get a roll of the 3M tan coloured tape?  Don't use it.  It will lift a rail car off the rails.  Extremely hard on the skin. Almost impossible to get off.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 847 6 hours ago
Last Post: SeePak
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 113 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 114 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 638 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 364 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,258 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.