Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] My Delimia
My Delimia
[attachment=52886][attachment=52886]APAP user 3 years now. 74 yr old male.  I have a fairly consistant issue that puzzles me. On most nights my AHI will be low for the first part of the night untill early in the morning, usually the last 2-3 hours or so.  I'll get up around 3ish and hit the bathroom and then do a house check (making sure the anchor hasn't dragged...a left over from my sailing days).  When I start sleep again I will sleep on my back for an hour or so then I start to become a little restless and start alternating sides and back sleeping. Inveriably this is when my AHI starts to soar and ruins my overall count for the night.  I've included a graph that represents the problem.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Delimia
(08-05-2023, 01:52 PM)gary w Wrote: ...... When I start sleep again I will sleep on my back for an hour or so then I start to become a little restless and start alternating sides and back sleeping......

How about when you "start sleep again", make a conscious effort to stay off your back.
Try sleeping on your side, preferably the left side, but whatever side is more comfortable.  

When you repost a chart, only include the following graphs:  Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Flow Limitations and Leak Rate graph.  Include all of the left side bar, except calendar and pie chart.
Thanks   Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Opal Rose said, try to sleep on your side (left is best for gastric reasons, but not essential).

Sleeping on your back usually allows your tongue to fall back in your throat and block your airway creating apnoea events.

Hopefully this will be the solution for you as it is simple to resolve.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Dilemma
The reason I posted the graph of my AHI was to show that when on my back (2110-2200ish and 2330-0130ish) I have no or very few apnoeas and also that during early morning my count climbs. This is a pattern that happens often and I'm not on my back then.  I'll post the chart requested in my next post.

Also I could not figure out how to edit and correct my spelling after posting....is that possible?
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the chart of that evening.

Just noticed the edit button.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2023, 07:30 AM)gary w Wrote: Also I could not figure out how to edit and correct my spelling after posting....is that possible?

There are limits for new members when it comes to editing posts.

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/misc.p...elp&hid=17
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as your second sleep session.... sometimes what we think we're doing when we sleep is not actually what is going on.  What I mean by that is we may think we're on our side or back but if like most folk, we move around a lot during sleep.  You'll have to find what works best for you, but I always put comfort first.  Your numbers are decent.

Also, consider that you may be experiencing REM sleep and dreaming during the time of increased apneas.  Does your respiratory graph show any increases during the time in question?  

I know it's frustrating to see that, but ask yourself besides the additional apnea, how do you feel the next day.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
This graph is the time period in question, does this help?

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.