Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] My Supplier Says There's No Difference Between a "for Her" Airsense10 and others
My Supplier Says There's No Difference Between a "for Her" Airsense10 and others
...but I don't believe her because according to Resmed's own website, the "FOR HER" AirSense 10 unit contains an algorithm specifically written for female patients.
So if any of you folks have experience on this, please enlighten me.
Here's my story;
I was a Philips Dreamstation refugee since the "recall".
Have been using a Dreamstation Auto SV for about a year and a half and just last week moved on to purchasing a brand new Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV (which I am still learning about).
Meanwhile my supplier and I had a discussion about what the deal is with Resmed's "For Her" line of products and she's saying that she has been setting it up for male patients on insurance claims "with no issues".
Seeing that I do not use insurance (very hard to get my insurance to pay for an ASV machine), I am just interested to know why Resmed would produce a product and market it specifically for female patients, if the actual machine software is no different to their other comparable models.
I'd appreciate any comment that can shed some light on this.
Thanks.
S.M.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Supplier Says There's No Difference Between a "for Her" Airsense10 and others..
If you can get the doc to write a no-substitution Rx for the ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset (set to hit shelves next month), it has the ability to change modes:

* CPAP
* Autoset
* For Her

Then, you could see if it makes a notable difference.

-Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Supplier Says There's No Difference Between a "for Her" Airsense10 and others..
That's actually a great idea as I already have an unused Rx for an auto set device. Now I will just wait until 11 hits the shelves.
Thanks a lot for the heads-up...Great idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that if you need ASV, I've not heard yet of an 11 series ASV.

Also I've not used it but there is definitely an AutoSet For Her. It does add an extra mode. I think it's modifying the response a bit.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Autoset for Her mode changes the default AutoSet Mode in the following four ways:
  • Reduces the rate of pressure increases
  • Slower pressure decays
    Note: the above two can also be achieved in regular AutoSet mode by setting Response to Soft
  • Will not increase pressure in response to OAs if pressure is 12cm or higher, but will still respond to FLs and Snores
  • Will establish the current pressure as the new minimum pressure, if two OAs occur within a minute
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks and you are correct. The 11 series only claim to fame thus far, is Bluetooth capability which Philips Dreamstations have had as a standard feature on all their models for as long as I remember:-)
It will be interesting to find what other features of the 11 sets it apart from others.
Ps.
You are also correct. I am a CSA patient and ASV is the only effective treatment for me, although I have tried various Auto machines with a high degree of success too, except that they cannot detect my Central events like a ASV does, yet I can get a pretty good night sleep with an Auto machine too....so a great backup, just in case my ASV needs to go in for service or something.

Thanks for the response.
So in a way my supplier is correct. The machine just has an extra feature that allows a quick setup "for her".
Am I correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
Why for her is different from the normal models? I sometimes find pressure increases to prevent me from falling asleep (wake me right at the point of falling asleep at times, and it's annoying), so I'm curious if 'for her' algorithms would work better for me. This makes no sense why there is a separate 'for her' model like only women require such soft responses.

However, I do have 'soft' mode, is that like 'for her' mode? Mine is Airsense10
Post Reply Post Reply
Just getting set up with a new provider, when I asked about the 'for her' I was told that the doctor would have to write a different prescription because there are different settings? Didn't sound right based on what I've read...
Post Reply Post Reply
About a year or so ago, maybe 18 months even, my SIL was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I told her to ask for a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her model. 

She did exactly that. She told me that those helping her were very impressed that she knew enough to request it. I guess most (like me) didn't have a clue initially going in. 

I got lucky! My sleep doc ordered a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sleep doctor says the only difference is in appearance. Personally, I use a regular ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet and apparently there really is no difference.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,234 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
Angry Former CPAP supplier over charging Bwanajohn51 2 168 03-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Difference between Vauto and S modes PeaceLoveAndPizza 9 1,058 02-20-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 595 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  GRRR. DME supplier shipped ClimateLineAir Heated Tubing in a BAG DaveInDenver 4 546 11-12-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Moving From RM S9 to Airsense10 -- Great Discomfort hypnos 3 409 11-10-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.