Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Nasal Exhale Blockage & Machine/Feature Choice
Nasal Exhale Blockage & Machine/Feature Choice
Newb here. Thanks for the forum and the wealth of information, knowledge and experience.

I have had my sleep study which indicated moderate to severe apnea. After two failed tried, my third titration study was successful. I am waiting for the sleep center to send results/recommendations to my doctor and go from there. Doing research to give me a leg up on getting the right equipment.

For the titration I used a nasal pillow and had a great night's sleep. My question is very specific. I am very aware that my obstruction is on exhale through the nose. There are two features on various machines I have read about that seem like they might be problematic with my symptoms.
  • Start with lower pressure and increase when it senses you falling asleep.
  • Reducing pressure for exhale

Regarding the first item - I have often been aware that my exhale blockage starts occurring just as I am falling asleep, thus waking me up. Seems to me I need to start out on whatever pressure will keep my airway open. Thoughts?

Regarding the second item, perhaps it is obvious. I NEED my airway to be forced to remain open during exhale, so it would seem reducing the pressure at this time would be the exact wrong thing to do. Musings?

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Exhale Blockage & Machine/Feature Choice
Hi txpap,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like you are talking about ramp and Expiratory Pressure Relief, (EPR,) or, in the case of Respironics, Flex. They are comfort features and you don't have to use either one if you don't want to.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,872 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 866 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Resmed vibrates on exhale? webweaver 5 829 12-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airmini mask choice Jennj99738 5 728 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Smoothmakir
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,188 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  RESMED F30i Mask causing pulsing on exhale HULK 1 582 09-21-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew77

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.