Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Nasal/sinus issue
RE: Nasal/sinus issue
B1Sailor,

Thanks for sharing. I do not know if the container held more water in the Remstar and/or the heater was not as powerful.

______

I have often said that the filters (foam and white one) kept allergy issues not as bad.

When my machine broke end of August I woke up the next day to WOW is this how bad my nose was from allergies. Yup.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to report back. I've been taking antibiotics prescribed by GP for 2 days. Last night while using the CPAP machine (humidity level 5), I woke up at around 2am feeling worse sinus pain. I applied some nasal mist and went back to sleep but the pain did not go away. Now I recall that this was probably the 3rd or 4th time I woke in the middle of the night with sinus pain when using the CPAP machine over the past 20 days. Still I cannot claim the use of the machine causes / is related to the sinus problems, but I think I will take a break tonight to see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
stargazing,

Sorry to hear that. Good Luck tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2022, 08:43 PM)KeepSmiling Wrote: stargazing,

Sorry to hear that. Good Luck tonight.

Thank you, KeepSmiling!
Post Reply Post Reply
@KeepSmiling – I am not disagreeing with you but where do you think the water will go other than back into the reservoir?

I also worry about the water and the machine also but a different twist. I secure my hose to table with Velcro straps because I toss and turn a lot. One time I pulled my machine down. It landed upside down and I grabbed it immediately to prevent water from going into the blower. That would have been more than moisture in hose. Would have been about a cup of water from the attached reservoir. Since then I secure my hose.

@stargazing – You may want to try a Neti type bottle. I use NeilMed recommended by multiple ENTs. The clear bottle that you squeeze vertically. The so called “Pots” are worthless because they will not force anything out. With the vertical you do have to learn to use enough pressure to flush things but not push into your inner ears. Get at WalMart or Sams. Cheaper than Drug stores. 

When I have a cold, I add 2 drops of Baby Shampoo to the saline and it really helps clearing congestion and infection. Just enough to be a surfactant to break stuff down. Don't use just salt water. It burns and inflames. I believe its like 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 baking soda to 8 oz distilled water to make your own. But the NeilMed comes with mix packets. And adding a 2 drops of baby shampoo does not burn or cause inflammation.  

At least use the canned washes but not as good a flushing a whole bottle through your sinuses. Takes a few minutes just to spray about an ounce into your nose versus the bottle above will flush about 8 ounces in about 4 squirts.

Also use a Sinus Spray but don't get addicted to them. I know people that have and causes constant runny nose. I use sparingly. But my ENT had me use Afrin every 12 hour for an entire week after my surgery. I was pleasantly surprised I did not have any after effects.  

Go see an ENT not a GP.
Post Reply Post Reply
NO, do not use a squeeze bottle, when having a cold/sick/ear/sinus issues.

I did that and messed up my ear a few months. I needed to keep nose congestion free for months. I was able to go back to squeeze bottle again. Netti pott was OK.

Always bottle water and cool down.

I do not know the precautions with a sinus infection.
Post Reply Post Reply
B1Sailor

I know the water would go back in the reservoir. My thinking, water in the tube is not germ free if mixed with my breath. If it goes back and gets heated, germs may multiply.

I was happy to discover I did not need humidity, no more fears.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you compare the venting rate of your mask (at therapy pressure) with your minute ventilation, I think you will see that your exhalation never has a chance to get to the delivery tube. Air always flows from higher pressure to low, and the machine's pressure is always higher than the pressure just outside the mask vents.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
stargazing,

As an alternative view, my wife just started using a CPAP recently, and we began trying different masks.  She's very sensitive about things especially w.r.t. her head.  For example, she could never wear a motorcycle helmet.

Anyway, we tried the Resmed P10 and the N30 (not i) and though she only needed a nasal mask (natural nose breather, i'm jealous!), she began having sinus problems.  She quit CPAP for a few days and with some throat lozenges, her problem went away.  We finally decided that both those masks force air directly into her nose, and that the air was drying out her sinus.  Even humidified, the air movement caused her problems.

We got her the Resmed N20 which fits over the whole nose and doesn't have a stream of air directly into her nostrils.  It's only been one night, but she likes that mask better.

Your problems might be the mask.  I know I tried LOTS of masks before I settled on one that I like...
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2022, 11:19 PM)KeepSmiling Wrote: Always bottle water and cool down.

BOILED water and cool down for making solutions.  Sorry about that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 218 9 hours ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 41 Today, 11:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 105 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 105 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.