Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Nasal swelling while using pillows
Nasal swelling while using pillows
First of all thanks for reading. I am not sure of the thread subject line because I still am not sure of the problem.

Second of all let me give you some history. I am 67 and was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea about 20 years ago. I have used CPAP on and off since that time. I was never able to tolerate a full face mask so I have always used pillows. My return to CPAP was precipitated in May after discovering that I had severe blood pressure spikes at night. At that time I was trying to manage my apnea with a dental appliance. My sleep doc said that if I was spiking badly at night the dental appliance was not cutting it and directed my return to CPAP

That return was relatively smooth and I worked my way up to between 7 and 8 hours of sleep on CPAP. However over the past several weeks I have been waking up after about 2 to 3 hours labouring to both breathe and exhale. I think that my nasal passages are swelling. As a result I am forced to stop CPAP and use the dental appliance. If I wake up again after say an hour or two, I am able to go back to the CPAP and usually finish the night. I cannot figure out what has happened. I have my humidity set to the max as well as my hose heating. My EPR is set to 3.

If anyone has any experience with this and can offer some advice I would be grateful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal swelling while using pillows
If this happens and your humidity is set to max, it is very likely that your humidity is too high. Higher is not always better. Some do better on high, some on low, some on none. Your sinus passages want what they want. I'd drop it significantly and see if that improves things. Based on that, try changing it up and down to find the right setting for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Chill, I will try that tonight although I have to tell you that my concern up to now is that my Resmed unit has not been giving me enough humidification compared to units that I have used in the past.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, this is a new machine that you just started using? I did not catch that first time around.

Is the water getting warm? There is a possibility that the unit is defective and not heating / not heating enough. That is the only other thing that comes to mind.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Wellington,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck as you continue your CPAP therapy and better luck this time around.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the warm welcome Trish.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,781 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 394 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 400 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 935 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 488 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 866 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.