Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Need Help with CPAP
RE: Need Help with CPAP
If it has been 3 yrs since you last saw your sleep doc, it is probably that your needs have changed. Perhaps a higher pressure is needed.

If your machine is truly data capable, I suggest you get the SleepyHead software and see what the data is saying.

Could be leaks. Could be the machine is faulty. Could be you need to raise the pressure slightly.

Check the data and see what it says. Then, if the AHIs are going up, then you may want to raise the pressure, perhaps by .5 or 1cm. Give it two weeks then look at the data again. If the AHIs are still high, go up another notch. Rinse, repeat, until the AHI goes down or you feel better.

Don't be afraid to go to sleep. As long as you are wearing the mask and the machine is on, you'll be fine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyHead don,t work with the M series
I would first concentrate on sleep quality and getting the mask fit right

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2012, 05:33 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(09-27-2012, 05:25 PM)sleepmore Wrote: DOES THIS CPAP SUMMARIZE the AHI? I do understand why it HAS BEEN great - it was! Then, it changed and I don't know why.

You list your CPAP machine as:

Machine:
RemstarPro Plus m series

But there are two types of REMstars - the Pro and the Plus. Assuming we're talking about a M series machine, the REMstar Pro is data-capable (shows AHI) while the REMstar Plus isn't data-capable (shows only compliance data - like how many hours you've used the machine each night).

The "plus" part could be the C-flex+ perhaps?

If you can see your AHI, you've got the REMstar Pro version, methinks. Thinking-about

It's BOTH...RemStarPro m series with C-Flex and SmartCard v5.52.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2012, 05:43 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If it has been 3 yrs since you last saw your sleep doc, it is probably that your needs have changed. Perhaps a higher pressure is needed.

If your machine is truly data capable, I suggest you get the SleepyHead software and see what the data is saying.

Could be leaks. Could be the machine is faulty. Could be you need to raise the pressure slightly.

Check the data and see what it says. Then, if the AHIs are going up, then you may want to raise the pressure, perhaps by .5 or 1cm. Give it two weeks then look at the data again. If the AHIs are still high, go up another notch. Rinse, repeat, until the AHI goes down or you feel better.

Don't be afraid to go to sleep. As long as you are wearing the mask and the machine is on, you'll be fine.

That's just it: I CAN'T SLEEP ANYMORE - I KEEP GASPING FOR AIR. Last night was the worse so far. Everytime I tried to sleep, I just found myself fighting for breath and choking.

I don't actually have a "sleep doctor", just Primary Care. Right NOW, I can't afford the copay for another Sleep Study.

This machine MUST WORK for me. With YOUR HELP I HAVE JUST NOW changed it to a higher level.

Right now, I don't have a READER for the Card...so software won't work yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go slow with the settings. And you want to leave it alone after a change. Set it and leave it for about two weeks. By then you should have a card reader.

As long as it is a normal card, you can get an external reader for about $20. If it is a proprietary card and you need a specific Respironics card reader, then, well, good luck with that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2012, 07:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Go slow with the settings. And you want to leave it alone after a change. Set it and leave it for about two weeks. By then you should have a card reader.

As long as it is a normal card, you can get an external reader for about $20. If it is a proprietary card and you need a specific Respironics card reader, then, well, good luck with that.

Thank you Paula and have a good night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum sleepmore. We are glad you joined us! Welcome

I am sorry you are having issues with your machine.

Question if you don't mind me asking. When you say you are on disability, I am assuming you are on Social Security Disability. If that is true, how long have you been on disability? If you have been on disability for two years, you are eligible for Medicare which is better than no insurance at all.

There are also some Medicare Advantage plans you can acquire in addition to Medicare that have no premium which will help pay some of the 20% that Medicare doesn't pay.

Hang in there. It WILL get better!!!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't get so concerned about your apnea and CPAP that you ignore the possibility of medical problems not related to apnea.

Some CPAPers have made the mistake of ignoring heart, lung, pneumonia, carbon monoxide, etc. problems blaming it on their CPAP treatment.

I'm not saying that's your problem, just warning about the possibility of CPAP tunnel vision.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2012, 05:27 AM)archangle Wrote: Don't get so concerned about your apnea and CPAP that you ignore the possibility of medical problems not related to apnea.

Some CPAPers have made the mistake of ignoring heart, lung, pneumonia, carbon monoxide, etc. problems blaming it on their CPAP treatment.

I'm not saying that's your problem, just warning about the possibility of CPAP tunnel vision.

Yep... I think this is something that we need to remind folks of more often. It's easy to get tunnel vision on a sleep apnea forum where everything we talk about generally relates to sleep apnea.

Thanks for this reminder! Smile

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.