Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Need Help with CPAP
Need Help with CPAP
3 Questions:
  1. Why can't I INCREASE my pressure above 8? I've downloaded and used all instrustions. It will go DOWN but not UP.
  2. Even though I'm NOT sleeping and having difficulty breathing which is KEEPING me awake trying to breath, the CPAP is NOT RECORDING IT! I'm at best constantly waking gasping for air and It says my APN if 3.7. I've had to just GET UP tokeep breathing. My diagnosis was an APN >30 and when I just lie down it feels like the air shuts off.
  3. Also, I have a humifier and I do put a LITTLE water in it; however, when I ADD any HEAT to make it better, it DUMPS the fluid in my face! It also becomes TOO HOT even at the lowest setting. What can I do about this?
Now, you ask WHY haven't I called the supplier? or gone to the DR?
  • The Supplier just kept upping the bill every month WITHOUT supplying ANYTHING including any help. We separated.
  • I'm on disability and do NOT have the money to Pay more or for the Copays for more testing.
I've been on this for about 3 years and until recently I was doing well so have not even tried to change anything.
PLEASE HELP...any ideas are better than none.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help with CPAP
Hi sleepmore, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum! I'm sorry you are having such a rough time with your CPAP therapy. Hang in there and someone will have suggestions to help you. Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
First, your machine is the Plus. If I remember correctly, the Plus models only record compliance data in terms of hours used.

I am not sure what the APN is. Do you mean AHI?

Take out the memory card, set the machine, but do not put the card back in. Does it retain the settings you made? If it does, then the card is resetting the pressure to what it was prescribed for. In this case, I would bet it is 8.

If the DME was raising the bill without providing a service or product, then that is called insurance fraud. Medicare would love to hear about it.

Water from the hose is called 'rain out'. Is your bedroom cold? If it is, then condensation is forming inside the hose and then it gets thrown into your face. There's a few things to do to fix that. One is to put the machine lower than the surface of the bed. That way the water runs back into the machine. Another is to insulate the hose. You can take several old socks, cut out the toes, and put the hose through it. If your bedroom is really cool (like you use an air conditioner) you can use several layers of socks. You can then hold it in place with string, tape, rubber bands, whatever. They make hose warmers but if money is an issue, home made will work just as well.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like maybe your machine is broken. You should be filling the water reservoir, not putting in just a little bit.

Can you call your insurance company and tell them that you're unhappy with your equipment provider? See if you can switch to a different one.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleepmore WELCOME! to the forum!
Sounds like you are having a bad time with it.
Being on disability would there be some medical benefits for you I know in Canada it seems being on disability gives you more medical options.

As far as the the fluid in your my face Is your CPAP up higher than your bed?
If so can you put down lower?

I don't think it is normal so there may be other members with more knowledge & experience then me with your model.
Did this just start lately?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2012, 12:38 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: First, your machine is the Plus. If I remember correctly, the Plus models only record compliance data in terms of hours used.

I am not sure what the APN is. Do you mean AHI?

Take out the memory card, set the machine, but do not put the card back in. Does it retain the settings you made? If it does, then the card is resetting the pressure to what it was prescribed for. In this case, I would bet it is 8.

If the DME was raising the bill without providing a service or product, then that is called insurance fraud. Medicare would love to hear about it.

Water from the hose is called 'rain out'. Is your bedroom cold? If it is, then condensation is forming inside the hose and then it gets thrown into your face. There's a few things to do to fix that. One is to put the machine lower than the surface of the bed. That way the water runs back into the machine. Another is to insulate the hose. You can take several old socks, cut out the toes, and put the hose through it. If your bedroom is really cool (like you use an air conditioner) you can use several layers of socks. You can then hold it in place with string, tape, rubber bands, whatever. They make hose warmers but if money is an issue, home made will work just as well.
YES!!!!!!...THANK YOU!

Took the Card out & CHANGED it to 8.5

Regarding the DME, I was TOO SICK at the time to track everything. I will have to go back &INVENTORY what happened before I can say too much. There were a couple of questions about them: during the whole time they were "providing for me", even after REPEATED requests for filters, I only got 2-4 paper filters and 2 sponge ones for the whole time. When I requested "nose cusions", instead of sending MY SIZE, they sent a BAG of all different sizes & their charges! That was strange and beyond my ability to respond to at the time.

I WILL be digging out those SOCKS! Yes, my room is always cool or for some reason, I DO have trouble breathing - which doesn't really make sense.

QUESTION: (yes - AHI reads 3.7) Can I RESET this? Is it reporting an AVERAGE todate? I don't see HOW this could be correct for the last 2-3 weeks! Everyday has been getting WORSE. Last night was so BAD that I finally had to just get up and stay up TO BREATH. I felt like I was sufficating.

THANK YOU FOR THIS SITE AND FOR YOUR CORRECT ANSWERS!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2012, 01:07 PM)dcgrafix Wrote: Hi sleepmore WELCOME! to the forum!
Sounds like you are having a bad time with it.
Being on disability would there be some medical benefits for you I know in Canada it seems being on disability gives you more medical options.

As far as the the fluid in your my face Is your CPAP up higher than your bed?
If so can you put down lower?

I don't think it is normal so there may be other members with more knowledge & experience then me with your model.
Did this just start lately?

Sorry to say: being on Disability - for me at least- means LESS money to do anything with. I am trying to get an ONLINE Job. That WILL help. There are some extra helps for NOT having enough money, but they are NOT anywhere enough to get by on.

The CPAP is DOWN LOW. I will be trying the SOCK EFFECT suggested above - it sounds promising.

Thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply
An AHI of less than 5 is your goal. 3.7 is very, very good.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2012, 04:13 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: An AHI of less than 5 is your goal. 3.7 is very, very good.

Yes, it HAS BEEN, until about 2-3 weeks ago. Now, I'm afraid to go to bed; it's gotton so bad!
That's why I didn't sleep, got on computer EARLY this morning desperate for some answer that will help.

DOES THIS CPAP SUMMARIZE the AHI? I do understand why it HAS BEEN great - it was! Then, it changed and I don't know why.

DO you have any ideas WHY it would suddenly change?

Thanks again for ANY IDEAS.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2012, 05:25 PM)sleepmore Wrote: DOES THIS CPAP SUMMARIZE the AHI? I do understand why it HAS BEEN great - it was! Then, it changed and I don't know why.

You list your CPAP machine as:

Machine:
RemstarPro Plus m series

But there are two types of REMstars - the Pro and the Plus. Assuming we're talking about a M series machine, the REMstar Pro is data-capable (shows AHI) while the REMstar Plus isn't data-capable (shows only compliance data - like how many hours you've used the machine each night).

The "plus" part could be the C-flex+ perhaps?

If you can see your AHI, you've got the REMstar Pro version, methinks. Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.