Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

O2/oximeter monitors
RE: O2/oximeter monitors
I have used both the Vivosmart 4 and the Venu, CMS50F and others. 1) The Vivosmart 4 will only record at night for a short time, you have no control over when it starts or how long it decides to record. 2) The Venu records all night but, like the Vivosmart, always shows many very large drops that the CMS50F never shows. This is using both overnight together for comparison. 3) When I was given an overnight SpO2 test by my doctor the device that was sent for me to use was a CMS50F. 4) You can’t get the data from the Garmin devices into Oscar, but you can for the CMS50F.  5) I believe it is claimed that the CMS50F has FDA appoval.

Wrist based SpO2 still has a long way to go. It will be interesting to see if the FDA approves the rumored Apple Watch sensor or if it will ship with a disclaimer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've have the Garmin Vivosmart 4 for a few months now. It tracks 4 hours of SpO2 a night. Doesn't seem like enough and I was not going to buy it because of that but now that I did I don't regret it. If it tracked all night then you would most likely have to charge it everyday. I think that's why they did that. With the way it is of 4 hours it last about 3 days on a single charge. 7 days without SpO2 tracking. I posted a review and snapshot on the review section. I notice when my SpO2 drops I wake up a couple minutes later because it is also tracking my movement. Very much worth it to me. Less than $100 and it syncs the data to my phone app and to Garmin Connect website. Very helpful for knowing why I slept bad, how much I was moving around, how many times I woke up, how much deep sleep I got.
Post Reply Post Reply
Short reply: My experience has only been with the CMS50I oximeter which has given me good service and, when compared, given the same reading as my PCP's oximeter.

TMI, some correct. Some probably needs correction:

Non-member CPAP using friends have raised questions with me about oximeters. I'm doing a long and poorly organized post here to refer them to AB for review of my opinion. As I tell them, go to AB where I've gotten specific good advice and learned a lot by lurking. Besides the little I do know below, there are two areas of uncertainty I mention where I'd like help myself: SpO2 folder and file management and awkward OSCAR uptake of SpO2 data for more than one session of sleep at a time.

I'm more than a year into using my second wrist-worn Contec CMS50I after replacing one, with its failed not-consumer-replaceable battery, after about 2 years of continuous use during sleep. As I recall, I paid about $125 the first time and $165 the second time, both units having to come from China (both via ebay)--because, I've been told, FDA has not approved THAT Contec. Contec's site shows they are makers of a whole line of medical equipment.

I kept the failed 50I thinking that after the current unit dies I'll check whether it would make sense to send both to Contec for overhaul. The battery is not a simple two-wire hookup type. Some electronics are attached to it. I understand reasons for stepping up to the ResMed device, assuming it is superior as it should be. However, it is proprietary  and, I'm guessing here, it may only be hackable  at best for use elsewhere (ResMed power supplies, in mind here, with their despicable third wire "lockout" of generic replacements for their Autoset and Vauto units).

Results have been good. The 50I records and retains a week of data, about 56 hour limit and I have used it with it recording separate sessions up to 8 nights. The pleth and bouncing pulse strength indicators give some idea how the ticker is working--if you have held still a bit. It is very sensitive to the least motion. I do wonder what is artifact and what is valid data when  I have parts of the night with high amplitude SpO2 changes: long strings of, say 5% SpO2 ups and downs that show up in the perfusion index as well--the latter probably derived from the SpO2's sensing of pulse frequency and saturation changes. 

Few large swings in SpO2? Then higher readings of PI. Dense swings in SpO2? Then low readings of PI. 
I suspect the latter may reflect REM sleep, but am guessing and would like to know. 

Using good medical tape I encircle about 3/8 inch of the finger boot skirt itself, its tang projecting backwards toward the knuckle and the middle finger (wrapped about 1 1/4 times). To do that I first straighten and align the wire and tang, temporarily anchor them with a rubber band, put on the tape and remove the bands. Results are good. 

It's tricky when one overflows the data storage as I have twice. You can use a wire to punch a reset button or, as I have had luck, keep pushing buttons to get to a place where you can (and must? next) delete all stored data. (But I think I was able to stop recording as the display insistently demanded and then get to and load OSCAR with the data.) 

SleepyHead and OSCAR accept 50I records; the latter can be loaded direct through USB as SleepyHead once was. Forced by SH to load a computer folder from the 50I, I continue doing same with OSCAR though direct feed by USB reportedly is possible.

Lastly, one can open a 50I CSV file that is created (one of 3 files per session as I recall) and massage the data recorded at 1 Hz to heart's content. I can't remember now the obscure path one takes to get to the SpO2 CSV files in a virtual store. 

One hurdle I could use help with is to find a way to delete or archive sessions to eliminate frequent choking of the SpO2 program during the query operation. With so many sessions in the SpO2 folder in about half my sessions I now get an error message I interpret as indicating a kind of time out. Once you abort that one can call for the query tool and immediately get it and begin scrolling to find the session. This glitch occurs less frequently if I wait a while, staring at the screen, after the query screen comes up before scrolling to the sleep session of interest.

All said, unless this second unit fails early, I would most likely get another 50I if not sold on anything better by that time.

Imports into OSCAR (as was true for SH) must be--so far as I know--done session by session. Once current SD card data (from the blower) has been loaded and presented by OSCAR for a sleep session, then and only then can one load into OSCAR that single session's SpO2 data. 

Again, I've come to the conclusion (correct or wrong) that one is forced to load into OSCAR the sleep and SpO2 data and match those one session at a time: blower data first, then oximeter data for that session alone. One cannot avoid session by session matching of SD card sleep data to recorded SpO2 session data. The 50I will record and retain several sleep sessions, but those have to be matched to only the latest sleep session loaded into OSCAR from the SD card. One cannot do, say, do a whole week update of OSCAR in a couple minutes and then do likewise from the 50I's record of 7 sessions. Catching up SpO2 is a tedious task.

When I have several unrecorded sessions on both the SD card and the 50I and want OSCAR to catch up matches of their data: 1) Update OSCAR (all the unrecorded sessions will be done at once); 2) Use Advanced option on Data menu and delete all but the first sleep session for which you want to load matching SpO2 data ; 3) Load SpO2 data into OSCAR for that first unrecorded session; 4) Again, insert/load SD card data from blower into OSCAR again; 5) Load that same session's 50I data; 6) Repeat the cycle to do all the match ups. 

I hope someone can post a better catch up method that is in the three paragraphs above.

2SB
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
2SleepBetta, I use a 50F as my Oximeter.  I don't find it necessary to delete the imported OSCAR xPAP data to get the SpO2 data to import if I use the individual SpO2 files generated from from the Oximeter, not using the cable.

If you are using Oximeter software like SpO2 Assistant is should save each session and write three files to it's data directory, SpO2, csv and txt.  The location of the files is a bit convoluted for me:
C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\SpO2 Assistant V3.0.4\Data
Yours may be different but it may get you started down the correct path.

With OSCAR use the calendar to select the day you want to import, then open OSCAR's Oximetry Wizard and use the "Import from a datafile...." option.  Navigate to the folder where your SpO2 files are located and select the appropriate SpO2 file.
Note: Your CPAP data is usually for the previous day, so if you choose March 5 in the calendar, you would need to import your SpO2 data with the date stamp for March 6.

You can still only import one SpO2 file at a time but it's easier than deleting/re-importing/deleting/etc.

Hope this helps.....
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,219 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 90 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 672 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Sleep apnea monitors without cPAP LVH115 14 957 01-17-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is there a pulse oximeter that bluetooths to the Air11? cathyf 2 808 12-19-2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.