Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Need help trying to understand where the air leak is coming from.
RE: Need help trying to understand where the air leak is coming from.
Sleeprider,

The flow limitation and snore graphs have been enabled all along. Each display has more than one screenshot to cover all of the charts.

I do not see the OAs occurring at low pressure. In fact, many of them are occurring at higher pressure.

Are we looking at the same charts?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
One idea that occurs to me is to run the leak test with your mask off and covering the end of the hose with your hand. This should tell you if the leak is elsewhere than in the mask.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Ed, that was just way to complex for me to come up with for the OP. Oh-jeez Laugh-a-lot

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2015, 05:40 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Thanks Ed, that was just way to complex for me to come up with for the OP.

I spent years diagnosing computer problems so I learned that when solving complex problems it is best to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
quiescence at last, nope, hasn't been able to get one yet.

eseedhouse, I tried, there's no leak along the connection.

After tightening the mask and changing the settings of start and min pressure to 6.0, these are the results for last night. I'm suspecting the leak might be because of my movement when i sleep sideways and the mask presses on my pillow.

[Image: FNAOyLel.png]
[Image: Cf33lnQl.png]
[Image: heOaCUAl.png]
[Image: 7KZNYxWl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2015, 12:09 AM)AnonAgent Wrote: eseedhouse, I tried, there's no leak along the connection.

OK, so now at least you know the problem is in the mask, or more likely in how you interact with that particular mask. If you can't adjust the mask to get good results it looks like you should be considering another mask, or even another type of mask.

I am struggling a bit with my Full Face mask at present. I really have to cinch it down to stop it from leaking. I will give it a bit more time and then maybe consider asking about a better mask from my DME supplier.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
The higher minimum pressure seems to have helped prevent a significant amount of apnea, and the median and 95% pressures are higher, and that may be due to faster response from the higher minimum pressure. I think continue with this for a while and see if you continue to respond positively. Other than the leaks, you had a pretty good night. How do you feel?

Leaks are still a challenge here. I would encourage you to order a mask from a source that offers a 30 day return policy. If you want to continue with nasal pillows, the Airfit P10 is lower profile and may not get knocked around as much from side-sleeping. If that doesn't improve things, you might need to move towards a full face solution.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2015, 12:09 AM)AnonAgent Wrote: . I'm suspecting the leak might be because of my movement when i sleep sideways and the mask presses on my pillow.
[/url]

Hi AnonAgent,
Have you considered trying to reconfigure you're pillow complement? Just in case that helps.
Someone on here suggested 2 soft pillows ,the bottom one horizontal and the top one perpendicular, so the mask doesn't have as much pressure on it while side sleeping. I found it really helpful.
Sleep well.
Post Reply Post Reply
eseedhouse, i usually shift the mask slightly towards the lips. Air leaks out from the upper nose area most of the time, i tried tightening the top straps but it doesn't seem to help. For cases like this, is a full face mask or a nasal pillow mask more recommended?

Sleeprider, yes indeed it helps alot. I'm much better compared to the few sessions in the past. I'm sourcing for the mask locally first because if the mask doesn't fit me, returning the goods back to the country i order can be a real hassle. Like what i mentioned above, which mask is more recommended for such situation?

3porpoise, sounds interesting, i will try it and see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2015, 09:22 AM)AnonAgent Wrote: eseedhouse, i usually shift the mask slightly towards the lips. Air leaks out from the upper nose area most of the time, i tried tightening the top straps but it doesn't seem to help. For cases like this, is a full face mask or a nasal pillow mask more recommended?

Well the nose leak is one of the things I struggle with using my full face mask, too. I imagine the "nasal pillow" would be better for that, but have no actual experience.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 154 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 91 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.