Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Need help trying to understand where the air leak is coming from.
Need help trying to understand where the air leak is coming from.
Hi everyone.

I'm using a ResMed S9 AutoSet machine without a humidifier, since the day i've been using it, i'm facing air leak problem but i can't understand anything from the summary via ResScan. Will really appreciate if anyone can help & guide me with understanding my summary and the graphs on ResScan.

Here's the summary shown on my ResScan,

Regards.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help trying to understand where the air leak is coming from.
Anon, mask up and turn the system on, then feel and listen for leaks at the machine in the humidifier area, at the hose connection, along the hose and near the mask connection. Also check that the nasal cushions are fitted over the frame ring and the fine diffuser holes are not damaged. It looks like leaks might be high from the data, but inspecting the machine, hose and mask is the best bet.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply sleeprider, I don't use a humidifier also I've checked everything every night before i sleep to ensure that there's no leak. But every morning when i wake up from my sleep and check the mask fit status, it's always showing a red face.
My sleeping partner told me, at times she can hear some air leaking from the mask but no matter how tight i strap the mask, it still shows that the mask isn't fitting well. So i wish to find out if it is due to the mask or is it because the air is leaking out from my mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you verified that your S9 is set to "Nasal" and not "Pillows" or "Nasal Ultra"?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, sgearhart. It's set to Nasal.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only other thing I can think of is there is no one mask that fits everybody's anatomy. You might start pondering the idea of trying a different mask. With eleventy-million masks of the same type (FFM, Nasal, Pillow) there is a high probably that one fits your face better than the others.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
When i started using this CPAP machine 2/3 months back, the first few days everything was fine. The mask fitted well and the leaks wasn't this much but as time goes by, the leakage shoots up and i have never seen "Green" on my mask status.

Is there any way i can verify if the leakage was coming from the mask or my mouth?
Post Reply Post Reply
The only ideas that come to mind are:
1. Try taping your mouth shut when you go to sleep. Then look at your data the next morning.
2. With the mask in place and under pressure, dribble some water with a little soap added around the mask and look for bubbles or a sound change.
3. Don't do 1 and 2 at the same time!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2015, 01:13 PM)AnonAgent Wrote: When i started using this CPAP machine 2/3 months back, the first few days everything was fine. The mask fitted well and the leaks wasn't this much but as time goes by, the leakage shoots up and i have never seen "Green" on my mask status.

Is there any way i can verify if the leakage was coming from the mask or my mouth?

This might be a clue. Have you changed the nasal pilllows in that time? They are perishable.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try both methods and see what's the results. Instead of taping i'll pick up a chin strap i guess.
Thank you for the ideas and replies. Appreciate them alot.

sleeprider, nope. I've been using the same nasal mask while i was trialling the CPAP Machine and right now when i purchased one and use it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 154 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 91 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.