Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Never Had A Machine
Never Had A Machine
I've only had my first sleep lab test (November 2017) and don't get the results from that until September 2018 (yes pretty pathetic wait time) so who knows how long to get the second test with the machine and then how long after that to get those results. There is a CPAP store nearby that rents out auto CPAP machines. I was thinking about renting one of these machines until I at least get my results from the first test. Good idea? Bad idea? Any thoughts and or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Never Had A Machine
Ten months is too long to wait for sleep test results. I suggest you write to adp@ontario.ca and ask for a list of the registered sleep clinics in your area. Perhaps ask if the clinic you used is on their list. You might also ask if there is an expected time for getting results.

You could also light a fire under your referring doctor, as they should also be upset.

I'd be interested in hearing if that CPAP store will rent a machine without a prescription, since they certainly can't sell one without a prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Pizza!
 The way to know is to go to that DME with your dr. prescription and your first result. This won't help much but I'm from Qc .and the same thing happened to me. the DME rented me a machine and using the 1 st results set it up to 4/20 pressure and epr 3. the rent was $150. a month till the titration results came in. After the 2nd results you have the choice of rent or buy. They give you 1 month to try different masks.

I f you buy ,they deduct the renting fee you paid from the original price of the machine and mask. But it's Qc. and everything is double priced and the $$$ come out of your pocket. I believe in On. the ADP pays a part of your machine if you are eligible , which I hope you are.

I don't know if this is useful to you, just try and hope for the best.   Good luck!
 Welcome to the forum.                                

Bag-head Bag-head snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
The store said they could rent a machine to me with a note from the GP. It would be out of pocket for the rental fee until I actually have the results from the first test and then after the second test with a prescription from the sleep lab I can then get a machine covered by insurance. Also I just sent an email off to the address you suggested with a couple questions. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds about the same here from what they said at the store as far as pricing goes and coverage. I was just wondering if it would be an idea to rent an auto machine before even receiving the first results? Or would you suggest to at least get the first results?
Post Reply Post Reply
Do what you must to get on a machine ASAP. 10 months is far too long a time to wait for these results. I'd try calling your Doc to get him to help speed this up if possible.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2018, 01:04 PM)Pizza Wrote: I've only had my first sleep lab test (November 2017) and don't get the results from that until September 2018 (yes pretty pathetic wait time) ...

Good Lord!!!!!!!  This is patently unacceptable.  Seriously, someone needs to be taken to task over this grossly negligent and unprofessional 'service'.  I would contact the Minister of Health or my MLA and ask for help. 

I had to wait a whopping 10 days for my assessment after the sleep lab night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pizza.
  I would do as phonylyk and Dave are saying. This doesn't make any sense. A friend of mine is going for a sleep test next week in Sarnia On. and they told him he would get the results in 2 months.

Bag-head snorybob.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have a clinic here in St. Catharines, that 3 or 4 friends and relatives have used... they had test, results, and a machine within 24 hours. If indicated, the clinic did *both* studies the same night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here in Alberta, I did a two night at home sleep monitoring test with a local sleep clinic/DME. $2500 was charged to my insurer for a Resmed Airsense 10 autoset with heated tubing and a mask (tried 3 different ones). Ouch. Lucky that there was no deductible.

Supplier #32 here in Canada doesn't require a prescription for a APAP unit. See their FAQ section for details. About $900 for an Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset for her and a mask from a limited selection and free shipping.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,127 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,787 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,247 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.