Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New CPAP User Looking for Some Help
RE: New CPAP User Looking for Some Help
Not too many members of this forum would hesitate to change CPAP settings, and the quick guide for yours is here https://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-...structions

Once you get going with the soft cervical collar, I think you will find higher pressure won't be needed as much. Lots of good advise in this thread so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing your "after" results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2019, 10:46 AM)Dormeo Wrote: Hello, Fred.  You can adjust all your pressure settings without a scrip; click on the link at the top of the page that says "CPAP setup manuals."  Some health-care professionals are quite supportive of this kind of active engagement by patients; others are not.  But either way, it's your choice.

As you look for the right collar, you might consider the Dr. Dakota collar.  It is pretty firm in front, with just a strap in back, so it is somewhat cooler than regular collars.

Thank you.
I will take a look at the manuals...It's good to know I have the option to change it if I like.

Regarding the collar, I was wondering about the ones with just a strap...do you believe they'll stay in place if I'm changing sleeping positions throughout the night?  I tend to move around a lot through the night between my back & side.

Thanks,
Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I never had a problem with the Dr. Dakota moving around too much, and I do a lot of turning from side to side. If you try one and find you have trouble adjusting the strap, let me know. There's a simple little fix you can do with needle and thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2019, 02:06 PM)Dormeo Wrote: I never had a problem with the Dr. Dakota moving around too much, and I do a lot of turning from side to side.  If you try one and find you have trouble adjusting the strap, let me know.  There's a simple little fix you can do with needle and thread.

Thank you Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fredinNY,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck in getting your settings dialed in and a collar to fit.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving.
I wanted to thank everyone again for the comments provided these past few weeks, and to provide a bit of an update on this journey.  I was hoping for a week of notable improvements in the AHI numbers I’ve been seeing, but unfortunately I’m quickly becoming more frustrated.    

As suggested, I tried a soft cervical collar, but I found it to be too restricting to the point of bringing on panic attacks.  I didn’t even get through a single night with it, and it’s currently tagged to go back to Amazon.  It is possible that I ordered an incorrect collar height, making it too uncomfortable to use, and may need to order a smaller size and give it another try. 

Beginning last Saturday, I started using “The Exterminator” anti-snoring pillow.  It is relatively comfortable, and although I wasn’t thrilled with the 5.23 AHI on my first night using it, I told myself that it was a good number for my first night, and I’m heading in the right direction.  Since that first night the AHI numbers have only increased, and I’m finding it more and more difficult to use the collar for the entire night. 

Some of my frustrations are stemming from things that are difficult to control…I used to be strictly a back sleeper, but back problems in recent years has made that impossible.  I also find myself dealing with claustrophobia (I’m not certain what’s happening to me in my old age), waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to move just sets off these panic attacks.  So far, I’ve rarely demonstrated the ability to re-focus, adjust the mask and collar, and get back to sleep.

I attached some screenshots from the past week, and I also included some shots focusing on the PB I’ve been experiencing.  I provided a look at three PB events that happened close together just last night (11/27).  Sorry, but I’m not certain if these screenshots is specifically what you’re looking for.

I hope everyone has the opportunity to spend some time today with family and friends.

Happy Thanksgiving. 

PS...
I needed to split some of the attachments into two posts...sorry

From previous post...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
In your latest charts all 3 nights show prominent clusters of obstructive events. This is what needs to be worked on.
Any method that prevents you chi from tucking, that maintains a "cervical alignment" (as some medical studies call this) during the night is OK. This can be a pillow arrangement or a rolled-up towel held under your chin ((roll a necktie inside the towel to tie it with. Feel free to use your imagination and please let us know what you came up with and if it worked, or not. We are married to results, not any particular method. That said the collar works for most users.

The use of a collar came from a user such as yourself, in 2016, and as a solution to mouth breathing, not chin tucking/positional apnea as over time we saw the mystery clusters disappearing with those who used a collar.

It's good to note the periodic breathing, though what you have is not a big issue and has a good chance of going away once you solve the chin tucking.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 495 5 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,504 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,045 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,020 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,596 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 300 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 616 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.