Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New CPAP User looking for tips/help - Thanks! <3
Smile 
New CPAP User looking for tips/help - Thanks! <3
Hi everyone, I'm newly diagnosed Sleep Apnea and just got my equipment today. I'm a little overwhelmed at the equipment and the amount of maintenance etc. it requires. It was found after I had spent most years grinding my teeth at night, my dentist ordered me to get it and said the 2 are related. 

I have a few questions and thanks so much for any help in advance. 

I got the Dreamworks Station 2 - and I believe it's auto-CPAP from 4-20 

I heard that switching to manual and slowly adjusting your pressure yourself day by day is easier in terms of adjusting to it and having less side effects, is this true? 

I'm afraid that doing the auto setting and jumping into will be tough and cause a lot of symptoms. So any help there is appreciated. 

Another question is I used to wear a night guard before treating sleep apnea should i continue to wear just in case? 

And finally - before first use should I wash and clean all of my equipment? It's already evening here and don't believe it will dry in time. 

Thanks again! happy to find an online resource for support.  Thanks

I should mention I have some anxiety issues and claustrophobia so this will be an adjustment period i'm sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP User looking for tips/help - Thanks! <3
I have no experience with the dreamstation 2. It is a new machine and our software (Oscar) will not work with it as of today but the programmers are working on that.

What I can say are 2 things: first the auto set is fine to use. Second you should raise the min number to at least 7.

Why raise the min? Simple the min number is your inhale number. 4 is the absolute lowest the machine is able to go. These machines are used by children also. 4 is for children (much smaller lungs). An adult needs more air so you are not air starved - making you wake up, pulling off your mask.

Other than that you do not need to wash your equipment every day. I wash mine each week but I do wipe down my mask each morning.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,341 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,472 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,034 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,010 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,591 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.