Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New CPAP user - I think something is wrong with my treatment, help please?
New CPAP user - I think something is wrong with my treatment, help please?
Hello everybody, thank you for taking the time to read me.

I've been using an APAP for a month now (Resmed Airsense 11 auto) because my sleep test showed an AHI of 40 (mostly obstructive), but I must say that I almost didn't sleep at all that night.Since I still wake up all the time, I have the feeling that something is off.

The first weeks with my APAP were not so good because I kept having a lot of centrals (95% of my AHI : between 6 and 10). My initial test showed no centrals (to my knowledge), but since I almost didn't sleep, I wonder if they might have missed them). I even stopped breathing for 64 seconds 2 weeks ago (my sad record), but they generally last between 12 and 25 seconds).

Fortunately, my numbers are getting better in the past days, I had 4 nights in a row with less than 3 AHI, and centrals were half of that number.

I recently spoke with my respiratory therapist, and I also had an appointment with a pulmonologist, but they both told me it's working well since my AHI is always around 6 or less. The thing is that they never looked at any of the data on my SD card (they didn't seem to care), they only looked at the number of AHI on the screen of my machine directly.

In fact, I called a couple of sleep clinics to see what could be done about that, and they all told me that they don't do this kind of stuff. Most of them even didn't know what OSCAR was. Since I have an appointment with my family doctor next week, could you please look at my charts and tell me if there is something wrong, please?

I think something is happening with my breathing pattern at night. In case this might help, I am a 39 y.o male, 6 feet, 195 pounds, and relatively healthy.

Thank you very much in advance, please let me know if you need more data.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user - I think something is wrong with my treatment, help please?
Hello again,

I added more charts, thank you !

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!  The change I would suggest you make one small change. 

EPR SET TO FULL TIME(yours is now off). You have it for 2 but then have it turned off. 

That Will reduce the flow limits that are apneas but not counted in the AHI. They cause pressure to rise to much and stops people from getting into deep sleep.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for answering me, I will try that!

Sincerely,

Frank
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again!

So I tried the suggested change and here are the results.

The first part of the night was awesome, with almost no AHI at all, but the second part was more difficult.

Could that be related to positional apnea?

Thanks a lot for your time!

Post Reply Post Reply
We sleep differently as the night wears on.   The longer wave-form of types of sleep gets shorter, and that means there's a higher frequency of every kind of sleep over time.  This means that problems also come with higher frequency. 

I see clustering in your latter half of record.  It's not as bad as many I have seen, but for you it is apparently quite bad enough....thanks very much. It seems you're bothered sufficiently, probably with arousals, later in your sleep because of a predominance of centrals, the purple vertical lines in the first record at top.  I can't offer you much help, I'm afraid, because I am not sufficiently savvy to know what can correct this problem, except perhaps a different form of treatment, and that means with an adaptive servo-ventilator (ASV).  Had you shown clusters of obstructive apnea, those can often be mitigated with a soft foam cervical collar, which can be had widely, even at box stores and drug stores.  The collar because many of us with persistent clusters are tucking our chins toward our sternum as we sleep, and this closes off the airway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, good Sir,

Maybe I should indeed relax and stop worrying so much.

It’s just that I don’t feel good lately, my blood pressure is out of control and my wife always tells me that my breathing is very shallow at night, plus I often wake up with a racing heart.

I didn't mean to bother. I'm just lost, my doctor tells me not to worry, that my AHI is low. 

It’s probably just my brain messing with me. Anyway, I am so grateful for your answers, I really appreciate it.

One last thing and after I stop, could you please tell me if this is normal? I tried the option “ Custom CPAP User Event Flagging'' at 50% for Flow Restriction Event duration (number 2) at 1 second and this is the result that I got.

Sorry to bother you with that, I know a lot of people have it far worst.

Regards,

Frank

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,353 7 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 138 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 121 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 152 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 116 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 223 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 627 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.