Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New CPAP user and not enjoying it
RE: New CPAP user and not enjoying it
Each of us had our "break in" period with CPAP. Keep a positive thought process going, and over time you will notice yourself start to feel like a whole new person. I don't ever want to go back to the old me and I hope in time this is what you will be telling yourself, we are here for you, just ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2014, 09:03 AM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: Same for me Gabby. In the first weeks I absolutely dreaded going to bed. Now it is just routine. Once I am asleep, I sleep soundly and through the night. That is so nice and refreshing. Weekend mornings when I am able to sleep in, I am quite comfortable with the mask on. In the beginning on weekend mornings I would take the mask off as soon as I woke up so I could roll over and doze off again. How dare it interfere with my comfort and precious weekend sleep ins! It no longer feels like interference for me.

That is great to hear ImaSurvivor.
Sometimes we feel we are the only ones that have a problem adjusting and think what is wrong with me?
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
My CPAP is broken, and I'm waiting on a new one to arrive on Wednesday, and it's really hard for me to fall asleep without one.

This coming from a guy who took months to get used to it in the beginning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2014, 10:40 PM)Mikael Wrote: My CPAP is broken, and I'm waiting on a new one to arrive on Wednesday, and it's really hard for me to fall asleep without one.

Hi Mikael,
Welcome to the forum... Happily Wednesday's not far off. What machine are you getting?
Post Reply Post Reply
Respironics PR System One REMstar Pro C-Flex+
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2014, 10:40 PM)Mikael Wrote: My CPAP is broken, and I'm waiting on a new one to arrive on Wednesday, and it's really hard for me to fall asleep without one.

Hi Mikael, welcome aboard
I know how you feel, have a back-up machine just in case something like that happen
In the meantime, try avoid sleeping on your back or sleep in a recliner if possible
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2014, 10:46 PM)zonk Wrote: I know how you feel, have a back-up machine just in case something like that happen
Lesson learned, trust me! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Mikael, great to hear from someone who is a satisfied user.

Hope you stick around and join in some of our conversations.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2014, 09:19 AM)elink5319 Wrote: I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, and now have a cpap machine. Used it for the first time last night and I am wandering, how long to get used to having to wear it. I slept terribly last night and I am more tired this morning then I have been in a long time. I also have Narcolepsy which was diagnosed 10 years ago, and this may not be helping anything. Any advice would be appreciated. The machine is currently set at 4-12 psi. When I roll over on my back I can really feel the pressure increase, which wakes me up and I go back on my side and it decreases again and then I can fall asleep again. Is this normal?

Hey there,

It's very normal. When I first used my machine (Phillips Respironics System One Auto) I wasn't used to it at all. As I was on a trial at that time, the machine was set to complete auto to find my right pressures. I was hitting 20 psi during some parts of the night but found that was when I rolled onto my back.

When I looked at the data with my sleep scientist, we both concluded that rolling onto the back will increase the pressure due to obstructions, gravity etc. When I was on my side, fine!! The only problem with that is I need a full face mask because I open my mouth when I sleep.

8 months later though, I don't even realise that the mask is on anymore and the pressure doesn't affect me in a negative way....my body has recognised that air going in is a good thing! I will always have OSA but at least it's managed now.

Believe me, it will get better for you and you will feel like a million bucks!!!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Mikael and Zodista,

You will find this forum informative and at times amusing.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 454 3 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,490 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,044 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,593 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 616 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.