Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New CPAP user and not enjoying it
RE: New CPAP user and not enjoying it
One other thing which won't help you now, but might give you some hope for the future.

I ACTIVELY ENJOY my CPAP machine with the Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask.

I would wear it even if there were no long term health benefits AND if it was not needed to keep me from being tired, confused, groggy etc the next day (actually I had none of those symptoms so the CPAP doesn't even help me with those issues -- just the long term health.)

My mask actually makes me MORE COMFORTABLE, not less. I would sleep better EVEN IF it didn't hold my airway open and reduce my apnea events.

With the mask, I don't get a stuff nose, my mouth doesn't get completely dry due to having to breath through it, my snoring doesn't bother my wife, and it is NICE to stick my entire head under the covers while still breathing fresh air.

It is POSSIBLE to get to the point (with the right mask) where you actually PREFER the mask for COMFORT.

Note: I didn't experience this with either the Oracle HC452 oral mask nor even with the Innomed Hybrid FFM.

The Oracle was NOT QUITE torture (terribly annoying however) and the Hybrid was "not too uncomfortable."

Everyone here knows how much I have touted the P10 -- heck, Resmed SHOULD be paying me a commission with all the people I have talked into trying it. Smile

The key here -- something I have not written previously -- is that the P10 is not about "being tolerably uncomfortable" but rather being about (for many people) "How comfortable it IS."

Not to say it is perfect, but then if you aren't used to it, wearing a t-shirt or sleepwear is not as comfortable as going nude.

Personally, I prefer to have on some minimal clothing (under shorts & t-shirt) than to sleep nude.

You can ALMOST treat the P10 this way, it is BETTER than wearing nothing. It's strength's don't just make it bearable but actually make things better than not having it.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 11:07 AM)herbm Wrote: One other thing which won't help you now, but might give you some hope for the future.

I ACTIVELY ENJOY my CPAP machine with the Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask.

Yep, I agree...

(04-09-2014, 11:07 AM)herbm Wrote: I would wear it even if there were no long term health benefits AND if it was not needed to keep me from being tired, confused, groggy etc the next day (actually I had none of those symptoms so the CPAP doesn't even help me with those issues -- just the long term health.)

Ummm, not sure.... but maybe.

(04-09-2014, 11:07 AM)herbm Wrote: My mask actually makes me MORE COMFORTABLE, not less. I would sleep better EVEN IF it didn't hold my airway open and reduce my apnea events.

Yep, I agree...

(04-09-2014, 11:07 AM)herbm Wrote: With the mask, I don't get a stuff nose, my mouth doesn't get completely dry due to having to breath through it, my snoring doesn't bother my wife, and it is NICE to stick my entire head under the covers while still breathing fresh air.

Still haven't mastered the head under the covers thing... Gotta do that.

(04-09-2014, 11:07 AM)herbm Wrote: It is POSSIBLE to get to the point (with the right mask) where you actually PREFER the mask for COMFORT.

Note: I didn't experience this with either the Oracle HC452 oral mask nor even with the Innomed Hybrid FFM.

The Oracle was NOT QUITE torture (terribly annoying however) and the Hybrid was "not too uncomfortable."

Everyone here knows how much I have touted the P10 -- heck, Resmed SHOULD be paying me a commission with all the people I have talked into trying it. Smile

Ya think?

(04-09-2014, 11:07 AM)herbm Wrote: The key here -- something I have not written previously -- is that the P10 is not about "being tolerably uncomfortable" but rather being about (for many people) "How comfortable it IS."

Not to say it is perfect, but then if you aren't used to it, wearing a t-shirt or sleepwear is not as comfortable as going nude.

Personally, I prefer to have on some minimal clothing (under shorts & t-shirt) than to sleep nude.

You can ALMOST treat the P10 this way, it is BETTER than wearing nothing.

Not too sure I'd agree with that last thingy.

(04-09-2014, 11:07 AM)herbm Wrote: It's strength's don't just make it bearable but actually make things better than not having it.

The last few nights have been a great experience for me. I wake up in the morning and just lay there letting my little mask have its way with me. Sometimes I get up once in the night for a toilet break, and sometimes not. I feel good, my mood is great, and it even quit raining here on the beautiful albeit wet Oregon coast. So all is well.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 11:07 AM)herbm Wrote: I ACTIVELY ENJOY my CPAP machine with the Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask.

Dude, ease up on the Kool-Aid. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
One day at a time, seems to be the only way. I don't know anyone that has told me "First night on cpap and I love it", frankly it's a bit trying to get used to especially when you have no idea what to expect. Took me almost 3 weeks to get it to the bearable kinda ok point. Best of luck, hang in there it only gets better.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 11:07 AM)herbm Wrote: Personally, I prefer to have on some minimal clothing (under shorts & t-shirt) than to sleep nude.

[b]TMI [/b]

You can ALMOST treat the P10 this way, it is BETTER than wearing nothing. It's strength's don't just make it bearable but actually make things better than not having it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 11:19 PM)Galactus Wrote: One day at a time, seems to be the only way. I don't know anyone that has told me "First night on cpap and I love it", frankly it's a bit trying to get used to especially when you have no idea what to expect. Took me almost 3 weeks to get it to the bearable kinda ok point. Best of luck, hang in there it only gets better.

Galactus, that is how I had to take it in the beginning, that was my mantra, one day at a time.
My first month was not very good at all. I thought how on earth am I going to live the rest of my life hooking up to this every night? I was a mess.
So instead of looking at the big picture, I just started taking it one day at a time.
Nice and easy with myself. Also with the kind encouragement from the good people here, slowly but surely the dread I was feeling every night started to ease away and now after just over two months I feel relaxed in the evenings and no longer dread going to bed and having to hook up. I barely give it a thought.
One day at a time, nice and easy does it...
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Same for me Gabby. In the first weeks I absolutely dreaded going to bed. Now it is just routine. Once I am asleep, I sleep soundly and through the night. That is so nice and refreshing. Weekend mornings when I am able to sleep in, I am quite comfortable with the mask on. In the beginning on weekend mornings I would take the mask off as soon as I woke up so I could roll over and doze off again. How dare it interfere with my comfort and precious weekend sleep ins! It no longer feels like interference for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I would agree. The first few days were not nice. Then a period of a little bit nice came along. Then I found this forum and got some good pointers. But now I have arrived at a point where going to bed is a reward. Yes, it takes longer to get it done than it used to because of all the prep work. Used to be I'd just go to bed. Now there's work to be done: mask to be put on, chinstrap, all of that. But I'm in such a nice groove throughout the night and into the morning. In the morning I love just laying there and vegging out for awhile before I get up. "Little mask," I say, "have your way with me..."

Around here it's me saying: "Oh my, it's time to go to bed!!" and my wife saying "It's only 7:00. Finish your pizza."

Post Reply Post Reply
LOL!

(04-11-2014, 10:40 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Around here it's me saying: "Oh my, it's time to go to bed!!" and my wife saying "It's only 7:00. Finish your pizza."

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2014, 10:40 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Around here it's me saying: "Oh my, it's time to go to bed!!" and my wife saying "It's only 7:00. Finish your pizza."

I am beginning to think that retired_guy may be crazier than I am, but I am typing this with a cat almost laying on my keyboard. Darned, pesky cats. Is it a product of retirement and if so, does it continue to gain strength, while we are losing strength?

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,462 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,027 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,007 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,590 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 614 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.