Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New Here
New Here
Hey all. New member, first post. 
Thank the stars I found this group! My struggle has been unnecessarily long.  I will, however, make a long story short-ish. Got my CPAP about 8 months ago. I am using the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset. Apparently, one of the good ones. But, I just happened to luck out getting that machine. Good insurance, I guess. But, my DME supplier is, diplomatically speaking, not very good. My Dr. is competent, but again, not forthcoming with info, options, suggestions, etc. Anyway, I struggled for the first few months. Masks that leaked, pressure that blew my eyelids up, waking up MULTIPLE times an hour, etc. You name it. I experienced it. Felt vastly WORSE than I did before using the CPAP. I tried and tried to get used to it. Tried nasal, different full-face masks, etc. That said, my DME supplier has like 7 models to choose from and from what I understand, there is close to a hundred? Now, my wife and I are intelligent (college educated: I was a science teacher, she is an engineer). We do indeed take responsibility for our own health. We have learned that the medical profession - as good as it is sometimes - fails miserably other times.  My wife especially is very very intuitive and practical about medical issues. (She missed her calling in some ways). I am a bit skeptical by nature. SO, one would think that, as a couple, we shouldn't be struggling with anything medically related. We can research, investigate, deduce, INduce, etc., with the best of them. Yet, here I was, months into a CPAP regimen and just said, "Screw it!". I gave up. I didn't use my CPAP for 4 whole months. I was actually feeling BETTER NOT using it. Sigh. Then I found this site! I admit to NOT joining right away. I lurked for a bit. Read and read and lightbulb after lightbulb went off in my head. "You mean, I can actually CHANGE my settings???" YES. Even though they are "set" by my doctor...."You mean, my DME provider ISN'T the only one that sucks??" "Other people struggled??".... Thinking-about The list goes on. I joined today. I got my machine out, placed in by my computer and just researched the heck out of it. WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG??? I found, because of this site, that I can actually change my max pressure, I can change the ramp, I can change.... YOU NAME IT. Now, I don't take this lightly. I DO realize that care and caution should be a high priority in fiddling with the dials on ANY medical device.  But dammit! I just couldn't accept that my situation was "normal". I literally felt that if THIS was the answer, I was doomed. I could in no way envision myself wearing this god-awful contraption. I have a new motivation because I found this site! I will fiddle, set, experiment, try new masks, etc until I have the RIGHT set-up for me. And the sucess stories on this site have given me the hope and motivation to do just that! I make this promise to myself and, more importantly, to my family. I have...HOPE! I look forward to sharing my progress with this group. And look forward to reaping the benefits and wisdom of all those that have mastered their own destiny.  Thanks for having me and I thank you for existing. Peace Thanks
Mills 12/7/2017
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Here
Well Welcome to Apnea board! Glad you found it. If you haven't gotten it yet you can get the clinic manual for your machine in the private files section. Also you can download sleepyhead which is a great software program for tracking your treatment.

The links are just below.  

Welcome
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Much thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!  I look forward to putting on my mask at night and settling in for a sleep, you can too!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board. Here's to getting better with your apnea treatment by way of tweaks, learning, etc. Questions? Ask away and trust me there's someone that will have the answer via both knowledge and experience.

Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cool 
THANKS for the encouragement!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Great story Mills! Consider yourself empowered to change your life through good restorative sleep. Lots of very informed people that went through what you did, and stuck it out to succeed. We're here for you. Welcome.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
THANKS my friend!
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.