Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New Hose Head - humidifier settings and ResScan question
RE: New Hose Head
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
cbramsey, Thanks for the Welcome mate. Grin
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
Resurrecting my old thread here. :grin:

I have struggled with my mask from Day 1 until 3 weeks ago when a friend gave me his brand new Resmed Mirage Quattro (Med) Full Face Mask to try, he now has kidney failure and pulmonary fibrosis and the Dr's have given him 3yrs max to live. Sad Sad

I am now Way-to-happy, I have been having nights with a minimum of 7+ hours of sleep, WoW, what a difference.

I had an appointment with my sleep Dr yesterday for my 6 mth check up and he was very pleased indeed, my apnea events are down to 1 per hour with the new mask, guess who else is over the moon. Big GrinBig Grin
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
If your mouth is sandpaper, you can bet you are mouth breathing and your mask is leaking. By mouth breathing, the moisture is being released into the mask and the leaks are then allowing that moisture to go out into the room instead of being recirculated through your body.
I struggled so much with the Quatro when I was first diagnosed. (I loved the way I felt the next morning), but it drove me crazy with leaks and, when cranked down tight enough to stop the leaks, I created a pressure sore atop the bridge of my nose.
I ended up switching to the Swift LT nasal pillow mask. I didn't think I could do this with my pressure setting (16 cm/h20), but managed. I hate to say this, but I addressed the issue of mouth breathing by placing a piece of blue painter's tape across my mouth. After a few weeks, my body had learned to keep mouth shut and lips sealed and I no longer needed the tape.
I don't know that I would recommend ANYONE "tape" their mouth, but I do know quite a few people on here that do it. I would suggest, instead, you try a chin strap and nasal pillows.
Also, are you using the RAMP feature? This can help you deal with breathing against the pressure and not feel so suffocated.
You know, I felt the same way initially...so hard to exhale against a hurricane. Now, I'm so accustomed to it and I don't think a thing about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Hose Head - humidifier settings and ResScan question
G'day imfletch, thanks for your feedback.

Yeah I'm a mouth breather, I am using the RAMP feature over a 5 minute period and it works fine. I have a little bit of fine tuning to do on this new mask, it will leak a little around the bottom corners if I move my chin too much and to what extent I do that during my sleep I don't know.

I use a product called Biotene Oral Balance to help reduce the sandpaper effect in the mouth, you put some on your tongue and swish it around with saliva and then swallow it.

I am extremely happy with this new mask and feel much more like human when I wake up than a zombie, my wife even commented this morning that I am a much happier person.
Pedro
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Hose Head - humidifier settings and ResScan question
I can't sleep with pressure *less* than 11 - 12 anymore. I don't get enough airflow to purge the mask of CO2 and I get the same wake up / suffocating terror.
I run at least 15 now and that seems to work, even with warm high humidity air.
I just swallow a little air now & then.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2013, 09:56 AM)imfletch Wrote: I struggled so much with the Quatro when I was first diagnosed. (I loved the way I felt the next morning), but it drove me crazy with leaks and, when cranked down tight enough to stop the leaks, I created a pressure sore atop the bridge of my nose.

Hi imfletch and subyroo,

I have pretty good results with the Mirage Quattro if I use with it the ResMed Gecko nasal pad (protects bridge of nose from pressure sores and seals leaks around the nose and eyes). I can get about 3 months out of one Gecko, if using nightly. (Just like the masks, it also needs to be washed daily with soap to clean off all oil.)

I use the Mirage Quattro FX mask (which is different than the Mirage Quattro mask) with RemZzzs mask liners, which help to keep the mask from fluttering or leaking.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 229 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 580 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.