Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Supreme Overlord of Web Darkness

Sex: Male

RE: New Hose Head
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-31-2012 08:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
subyroo Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 7 - 16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

cbramsey, Thanks for the Welcome mate. SHa_biggrin5
08-31-2012 09:04 AM
subyroo Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

Resurrecting my old thread here. :grin:

I have struggled with my mask from Day 1 until 3 weeks ago when a friend gave me his brand new Resmed Mirage Quattro (Med) Full Face Mask to try, he now has kidney failure and pulmonary fibrosis and the Dr's have given him 3yrs max to live. Sad Sad

I am now Way-to-happy, I have been having nights with a minimum of 7+ hours of sleep, WoW, what a difference.

I had an appointment with my sleep Dr yesterday for my 6 mth check up and he was very pleased indeed, my apnea events are down to 1 per hour with the new mask, guess who else is over the moon. Big GrinBig Grin
04-24-2013 09:39 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
imfletch Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift LT
Humidifier: ResMed 5i
CPAP Pressure: 16

Other Comments:

If your mouth is sandpaper, you can bet you are mouth breathing and your mask is leaking. By mouth breathing, the moisture is being released into the mask and the leaks are then allowing that moisture to go out into the room instead of being recirculated through your body.
I struggled so much with the Quatro when I was first diagnosed. (I loved the way I felt the next morning), but it drove me crazy with leaks and, when cranked down tight enough to stop the leaks, I created a pressure sore atop the bridge of my nose.
I ended up switching to the Swift LT nasal pillow mask. I didn't think I could do this with my pressure setting (16 cm/h20), but managed. I hate to say this, but I addressed the issue of mouth breathing by placing a piece of blue painter's tape across my mouth. After a few weeks, my body had learned to keep mouth shut and lips sealed and I no longer needed the tape.
I don't know that I would recommend ANYONE "tape" their mouth, but I do know quite a few people on here that do it. I would suggest, instead, you try a chin strap and nasal pillows.
Also, are you using the RAMP feature? This can help you deal with breathing against the pressure and not feel so suffocated.
You know, I felt the same way initially...so hard to exhale against a hurricane. Now, I'm so accustomed to it and I don't think a thing about it.
04-24-2013 09:56 AM
subyroo Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

RE: New Hose Head - humidifier settings and ResScan question
G'day imfletch, thanks for your feedback.

Yeah I'm a mouth breather, I am using the RAMP feature over a 5 minute period and it works fine. I have a little bit of fine tuning to do on this new mask, it will leak a little around the bottom corners if I move my chin too much and to what extent I do that during my sleep I don't know.

I use a product called Biotene Oral Balance to help reduce the sandpaper effect in the mouth, you put some on your tongue and swish it around with saliva and then swallow it.

I am extremely happy with this new mask and feel much more like human when I wake up than a zombie, my wife even commented this morning that I am a much happier person.
04-24-2013 06:48 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: New Hose Head - humidifier settings and ResScan question
I can't sleep with pressure *less* than 11 - 12 anymore. I don't get enough airflow to purge the mask of CO2 and I get the same wake up / suffocating terror.
I run at least 15 now and that seems to work, even with warm high humidity air.
I just swallow a little air now & then.

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
04-24-2013 08:24 PM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(04-24-2013 09:56 AM)imfletch Wrote:  I struggled so much with the Quatro when I was first diagnosed. (I loved the way I felt the next morning), but it drove me crazy with leaks and, when cranked down tight enough to stop the leaks, I created a pressure sore atop the bridge of my nose.

Hi imfletch and subyroo,

I have pretty good results with the Mirage Quattro if I use with it the ResMed Gecko nasal pad (protects bridge of nose from pressure sores and seals leaks around the nose and eyes). I can get about 3 months out of one Gecko, if using nightly. (Just like the masks, it also needs to be washed daily with soap to clean off all oil.)

I use the Mirage Quattro FX mask (which is different than the Mirage Quattro mask) with RemZzzs mask liners, which help to keep the mask from fluttering or leaking.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
04-29-2013 02:14 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Climate line hose vs mask - adapter to connect? Beej 3 44 Today 11:34 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Beginning use with H5i humidifier Lanco 27 858 Yesterday 02:59 PM
Last Post: Lanco
  unable to access SD card using ResScan charles hoag 4 111 Yesterday 01:52 PM
Last Post: charles hoag
  Newbie - need advice on settings and machine tmc712 18 373 12-06-2016 09:04 PM
Last Post: tmc712
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 426 12-06-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  Dream Station Ramp and Pressure Settings knowoneuno 21 459 12-06-2016 11:00 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] hose valve noise ArtistEd 7 238 12-05-2016 11:05 PM
Last Post: ArtistEd