Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BIPAP machine question
BIPAP machine question
Hello, just joined the group although I've had a BIPAP machine for nearly 1 year now. I have this question. When I first began using the machine, with a nasal mask, I noticed that I couldn't open my mouth and breathe (I assume due to the air pressure being forced into my nose). I thought that was perhaps how the machine worked in that it forced you to keep your mouth closed and therefore couldn't snore. I have noticed of late that I awake nearly every night with a very, very dry mouth. I've also noticed that I can now open my mouth with the mask and, unlike before, can breathe. So, I'm wondering if I am in fact opening my mouth at night and that is what is causing the dry mouth. Also wondering if something needs to be adjusted with the machine. Has anyone experienced this or can lend any insight. Regards...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BIPAP machine question
Hi aspector,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a chinstrap to keep your mouth closed and see if that helps you .
Hang in there for more suggestions, and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2014, 10:30 AM)aspector Wrote: Hello, just joined the group although I've had a BIPAP machine for nearly 1 year now. I have this question. When I first began using the machine, with a nasal mask, I noticed that I couldn't open my mouth and breathe (I assume due to the air pressure being forced into my nose). I thought that was perhaps how the machine worked in that it forced you to keep your mouth closed and therefore couldn't snore. I have noticed of late that I awake nearly every night with a very, very dry mouth. I've also noticed that I can now open my mouth with the mask and, unlike before, can breathe. So, I'm wondering if I am in fact opening my mouth at night and that is what is causing the dry mouth. Also wondering if something needs to be adjusted with the machine. Has anyone experienced this or can lend any insight. Regards...

Welcome!

I use a resmed s9 autoset and I have never experienced the dry mouth, but I do know that my machine helps keep my mouth closed. I did adjust my settings pressure because I use sleepyhead software and I watched the graphs there. I could see where my mountains were flatlining. It appeared to me that my machine wanted to give me more air. So I increased my to 13. I have never reached that number usually I stay around 12.4. I don't know anything about your machine but maybe you need more pressure to keep your mouth closed.

I also bought a CPAP pillow. Bought off eBay for $60. It helps to not move my mask when on my side.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-04-2014, 10:30 AM)aspector Wrote: Hello, just joined the group although I've had a BIPAP machine for nearly 1 year now. I have this question. When I first began using the machine, with a nasal mask, I noticed that I couldn't open my mouth and breathe (I assume due to the air pressure being forced into my nose). I thought that was perhaps how the machine worked in that it forced you to keep your mouth closed and therefore couldn't snore. I have noticed of late that I awake nearly every night with a very, very dry mouth. I've also noticed that I can now open my mouth with the mask and, unlike before, can breathe. So, I'm wondering if I am in fact opening my mouth at night and that is what is causing the dry mouth. Also wondering if something needs to be adjusted with the machine. Has anyone experienced this or can lend any insight. Regards...

I tried a nasal mask and nasal pillows. I do best with a full face mask. That said, dry mouth is a common complaint among many pappers. I experience it too, even with a full mask and my humidifier on high.

I speculate some of the folks who use nasal type masks will suggest a chin strap for you to prevent the mouth opening.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Over time you and your body can get used to stuff. When I first started, there was no way I could open my mouth, much less talk with my PAP on and running. After all these years, talking with PAP on and even FFM in use is easy.

I think you have two issues;

You have gotten used to your machine.

And, dry mouth is a 'usual' sign of mouth-breathing, or hissing air out between your lips all night, etc...

After roughly a dozen or more years, I have finally given up on gone to a FFM full-time now, and my numbers (AHI and Leak rate) have never been this good.

Pay attention to your leak rate for a clue to mouth issues.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that you should try a chin strap. It's a quick and simple fix for the problem of mouth-leaking (pressurized CPAP air hissing out of your mouth). When this happens your CPAP machine can no longer maintain the pressure splint needed to keep your airway open, so you will experience apneas. So in addition to dry mouth, your sleep is being interfered with.

You could try using software to look at your leak rate graph. A quick glance will show if you're spending a large amount of time in large leak due to mouth-leaking.

The issue you experienced with not being able to open your mouth is likely just one of those things you were able to adjust to as CPAP therapy became a common part of your life. I've now gotten tot he point where I can talk with mine on. Don't ask me to give any speeches though. Smile
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 247 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 495 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  bipap Innisfree 2 420 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,128 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going. marvin2023 2 548 10-10-2023, 07:26 PM
Last Post: marvin2023

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.