Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New S9 Autoset Setup
New S9 Autoset Setup
Based on the reviews and discussion here, I ordered an S9 AutoSet and it should arrive within a day or so. I intend to use it in the auto mode. Is there a consensus here for the initial settings to use? I'm still waiting for my doctor's appointment to hear his take on my recent sleep study results. Unfortunately, that is weeks away and I'm tired of being tired.
At the end of the most recent sleep study, the tech indicated that my pressures were "all over the place" while he was trying to find the best pressure setting for me.
My pulmonologist sent me to the sleep study due to my complaints of fatigue and the data on my current CPAP. Over the last month, my 7 day average AHIs have ranged from 3.4 to 14.2. When I "do the math" to back out the daily change (daily values are not available on the machine), that change has been as high as 27. The numbers appear to be cyclical, going up or down for a week before changing direction.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New S9 Autoset Setup
aehjr--I'm surprised your doctor's appt. is weeks away from your recent sleep study. The thought that comes to mind would be when your Autoset arrives, set it for your current pressure to a few above that, such as 6-9cm to see where the Autoset takes you. An alternative, especially in light of the tech telling you your pressures were all over the place, would be to put it "wide open" with a range of 5 or 6 to 20cm to begin locating where you need it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2013, 02:32 PM)aehjr Wrote: Based on the reviews and discussion here, I ordered an S9 AutoSet and it should arrive within a day or so. I intend to use it in the auto mode. Is there a consensus here for the initial settings to use? I'm still waiting for my doctor's appointment to hear his take on my recent sleep study results. Unfortunately, that is weeks away and I'm tired of being tired.
At the end of the most recent sleep study, the tech indicated that my pressures were "all over the place" while he was trying to find the best pressure setting for me.
My pulmonologist sent me to the sleep study due to my complaints of fatigue and the data on my current CPAP. Over the last month, my 7 day average AHIs have ranged from 3.4 to 14.2. When I "do the math" to back out the daily change (daily values are not available on the machine), that change has been as high as 27. The numbers appear to be cyclical, going up or down for a week before changing direction.

Probably a good idea to set the minimum at 5 and the max at 20. Then take a look at what happens. The AutoSet will keep up with your needs pretty well in auto mode. Fine tuning over a long period of time will maximize therapy, but you have to have a good basis to work from in order to get a good sense of direction.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! Appreciate the quick replies.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi aehjr, CONGRATULATIONS on your new S9Autoset.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, (since you don't really have a solid and reliable starting point regarding the most recent in-lab titration), I would start off with a wider pressure range on the S9 AutoSet, noting the AHI levels and the 95% pressure the machine reports (the pressure that the machine uses 95% of the time while in auto mode).

For instance, you might set it at 4-20 cmH2O ("wide open" pressure range) for several days. After that period, check average AHI, then see what the 95% pressure is. As an example, if it's something like 12, and the AHI is somewhat high, readjust, tweak, etc. to slowly close the range to something close to 2 cmH2O below the 95% level and 3-4 above the 95% level, (if 95% was 12, the range could be set to 10-15, for instance) and see what happens to AHI over a few more days. You may find that the upper limit needs to be increased to "punch through" some OSA events. Using software like ResScan or SleepyHead will help you quite a bit in analyzing the data. Both are available for free-- go HERE for directions on how to get them. Also, if you have questions on the software, post them in the SleepyHead thread or the ResScan thread and folks can help you there.

It's all trial and error. You can always tweak both the lower and upper limit and test the end result over a period of time. One thing I will say is that the longer period of time you leave it at one particular setting, the more accurate data you're going to get - in other words, don't make a lot of changes quickly over 2-3 days, and don't make large changes all at once. Give your body time to react to the pressure changes. One night's worth of data does not make a trend. 3-4 nights is good, but a week is even better.

Here is a page created a while ago on finding optimum pressure:

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...re-on-cpap

Good luck aehjr - I think you'll like the S9 AutoSet. Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi aehjr; our situations are remakably simlilar. I also am currently using the Remstar M series, also with a setting of 6. and also am upgrading to S9 autoset; it has arrived but I haven't taken the time to make the conversion yet but hope to do so in the next day or so, so your question was very pertienent to myself as well, so I will be interested in your experiences as well as additional posts to your question. I was thinking about starting with a setting the autoset 5-10 range and see what that does. I also have not used the data software. BTW, I am also in Colorado (Ft. Collins). Regards, Greg
Post Reply Post Reply
I don,t think there is a consensus or right/wrong answer
setting minimum pressure is most important, for me whats feel most comfortable and let the machine does the rest providing leak is under control (below 24 L/min ... below ResScan leak graph red line threshold)
once you gain a bit more experience and confidence .. you'll know whats right for you
best of luck to both of you
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2013, 02:32 PM)aehjr Wrote: Based on the reviews and discussion here, I ordered an S9 AutoSet and it should arrive within a day or so. I intend to use it in the auto mode. Is there a consensus here for the initial settings to use? I'm still waiting for my doctor's appointment to hear his take on my recent sleep study results. Unfortunately, that is weeks away and I'm tired of being tired.

That's a drag. I was going to suggest something along the lines of what the doctor prescribed. If he (she?) hasn't done that yet (oh wait you did indicate it was a "he") then have you ever had a sleep study done? My doctor gave a 7-14 pressure range but that's only me and I know some require it to be much higher.
Hm. The Quick Setup Guide seems to assume that the pressure has already been set for you. Ah, here we are. Default minimum is 4, the default maximum is 20. I would make an Uneducated guess that this would be the place to start if you don't have anything more definite. UNLESS someone who knows what they're talking about (that means most people here) has a better answer. Best wishes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2013, 02:32 PM)aehjr Wrote: My pulmonologist sent me to the sleep study due to my complaints of fatigue and the data on my current CPAP. Over the last month, my 7 day average AHIs have ranged from 3.4 to 14.2.

How long have you had your current CPAP? What pressure is it set at? What were the results of the sleep study you had when you were issued your current CPAP?

If you have simple OSA with no complications you would simply set your new autopap with a range somewhere around your prescribed pressure.

But it appears you do have complications. If I were you I'd contact your doctor and tell the office that you need the results of your sleep study. The doctor should be able to call you back and discuss the results. Keep calling them and asking that the doctor release the results of the sleep study to you. I would bug the hell out of them until they cooperate.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 8 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 118 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,679 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,942 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 250 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 323 88,218 10-16-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  New DreamStation 2 setup KSMatthew 7 791 08-24-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.