Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New User - Bloating, Gas, diarrhea, reflux
New User - Bloating, Gas, diarrhea, reflux
Hi All, 

I've been using my CPAP machine for about 4-5 weeks. The first 3 or so weeks weren't great as I was still trying different masks and then I had my wisdom teeth out which made it impossible to wear. 

Previously, I've had extreme flatulence and a bit of bloating from my CPAP but since last week when I have been able to use it consistently, i've woken up with extreme gas pain, urgent diarrhea etc. 

The past 3 days it has affected my reflux as well (I have GERD). 

What I already do:
  • Sleep on my side
  • Have bed elevated
  • I am a mouth breather
Is there any tips to avoid this or does it go away in time?

I am using a Phillips Dreamstation with ResMed F20 Full Face Mask with pressure set as prescribed at 12cm
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User - Bloating, Gas, diarrhea, reflux
Would help to have your pressure or range, and a better profile for future questions. Your sleep position is correct, to to avoid taking in air, you're limited to a pressure reduction, and of course flatulence is one thing, but an OTC anti-diarrhea medication may be in order for the current problem. Locally all the fast-movers seem to us Imodium.

I'm not much for puns, but "this too shall pass".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2017, 04:04 PM)hatbox Wrote: The past 3 days it has affected my reflux as well (I have GERD). 
Three days is not really a representative sample to assign the cause of stomach-related issues to CPAP usage due to factors ranging from changes in diet, gut bacteria, and other issues.

Are you taking a PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) for your GERD? Some of the side effects include: diarrhea, abdominal pain, and flatulence. Have you ever had diverticulitis?

I have experienced bloating and flatulence but never diarrhea when I was trying different masks and higher pressures. I have also experienced some temporary difficulty when changing medicines.

Best of luck with the mask quest.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I've only had stomach related issues since using CPAP (excluding GERD obviously). I had issues with pain and bloating at my sleep study. 

I'm medicated for GERD, had a gastroscopy and colonoscopy earlier this year with no issues. Gastroscopy showed inactive esophagitis
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2017, 04:54 PM)hatbox Wrote: I've only had stomach related issues since using CPAP (excluding GERD obviously). I had issues with pain and bloating at my sleep study. 

I'm medicated for GERD, had a gastroscopy and colonoscopy earlier this year with no issues. Gastroscopy showed inactive esophagitis

It would be helpful if you could provide some Sleepyhead report information. Perhaps you can reduce the pressure to alleviate some of the symptoms without compromising your therapeutic results.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it possible you need a different eating schedule now that you're on CPAP?

Or maybe a "go easy on the gut" diet while you get this figured out?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hatbox,
You might consider taking a pro-biotic for your gut problems.
Hopefully, you get them straightened out, it's very painful, I know.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've struggled on and off with air-swallowing (aerophagia) since beginning treatment about 6 weeks ago. Some days I have no issues, others I wake up in so much pain from the bloating that I have to walk hunched over until I expel that air one way or another. Most days are something in between. It hasn't really caused diarrhea per se so far, but I have had a few mornings where the accumulated air pressure caused extreme urgency to go, similar to the urgency felt with diarrhea.

I've starting using a soft cervical collar in addition to a light chinstrap, and the combination seems to be working. I also notice that if I'm having any reflux issues whatsoever when I go to bed, the aerophagia is worse, likely because the reflux is causing me to swallow more. I'll take a few tums or a Zantac (I stay away from PPI's these days) depending on the severity and that seems to reduce the severity of the aerophagia during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lots of mask leak and severe bloating / stomach pain upon waking. What can I do? exchanged 6 759 05-02-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: cdplatt
Surprised Taking in air /bloating akstella 11 1,126 11-30-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Ti Max Setting/Cycle and Bloating? emjbork 3 620 10-23-2022, 12:30 PM
Last Post: FrankFuss
  [Diagnosis] Help interpreting OSCAR for bloating contracostacpap 1 519 06-01-2022, 10:58 AM
Last Post: contracostacpap
  Vagus nerve stimulation, central apneas, reflux and hiatal hernia could be related? weiss27md 9 1,558 03-15-2021, 11:08 PM
Last Post: JoeyWallaby
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,112 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Urgent! Why is my CPAP therapy causing weird stomach pains, bloating, gas and IBS? WWu777 21 4,861 12-07-2020, 12:12 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.