Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New User, Some Problems
New User, Some Problems
Hi, all. I'm a new (less than 2 weeks) user of CPAP. I use a full face mask, and have some questions.

First, my equipment: ResMed S9 Autoset, Quattro FX mask. ResMed set on auto, 10.6-13. ERA 3.

I've set my hose temp to 77, and played around with the humidity from 3 to 5, but can't say I've noticed any difference.

Ok, now my issues.

1) The first few nights I only woke up once per night. Lately I'm waking up every two hours or so, not much different than before I got the ResMed.

2) My face itches under the mask. A lot. Of course, to scratch means displacing the mask, which I then have to fiddle with to get it to seal again.

Normally my AHI is below 4, and my mask leaks aren't very high.

Is the waking just part of getting used to the system, and has anyone else had itching problems?

That's for reading this. I'm really glad I found this site. It's been 100% more helpful than either the DME or my Doc.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User, Some Problems
Hi mdh235,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Make sure you wash your face at night before you mask up; that helps get rid of the oil on your skin so it will fit and seal better.
CPAP therapy can take some time to get used to and the mask is the hardest part of it.
Don't be shy about asking to try different masks 'till you find the right one because full-face masks, (FFMs,) can be proned to leaks.
Hang in there for more suggestions and don't give up.
Best of luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have awakened every 2 hours since before I got my CPAP machine and that hasn't changed since I got it so I don't know if it is you getting used to the machine or not; that isn't the case with me as I have been using my cpap for around 2 years now. I would suggest making sure that you wash your face each night as suggested above. I chose the full face mask b/c I have allergies and if my nose was stopped up, I breathed from my mouth. I had trouble with leaks for about a year and it was because my mask was too big. Now I have the proper size (although none of the DME's keep them in stock and they have to order them when it is time for my headgear and the full set up and order the seal each month). I do like the humidifier!! I do have a question as to turning off the cpap when not in use. I was not instructed to do that by the DME company but have read on here that some keep their cpap off when not in use. I did learn that the battery pack should not be kept on the table top near the CPAP machine as it causes the machine to fail (at least on the Resmed S9) Will be watching for responses to turning off or leaving on the cpap machine when not in use. thank you for your help
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually leave mine plugged in all the time. The only time I don't is if I go on the road. When we are out and about during the day I unplug it and stash it either in a drawer or cabinet. I stick the mask back in the bag just to keep the crap out of it. It took me a little while (a week or two) to get used to the mask at night. I use a full face mask as I have sinus issues and a nasal doesn't work.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2013, 02:31 PM)me50 Wrote: I have awakened every 2 hours since before I got my CPAP machine and that hasn't changed since I got it so I don't know if it is you getting used to the machine or not; that isn't the case with me as I have been using my cpap for around 2 years now. I would suggest making sure that you wash your face each night as suggested above. I chose the full face mask b/c I have allergies and if my nose was stopped up, I breathed from my mouth. I had trouble with leaks for about a year and it was because my mask was too big. Now I have the proper size (although none of the DME's keep them in stock and they have to order them when it is time for my headgear and the full set up and order the seal each month). I do like the humidifier!! I do have a question as to turning off the cpap when not in use. I was not instructed to do that by the DME company but have read on here that some keep their cpap off when not in use. I did learn that the battery pack should not be kept on the table top near the CPAP machine as it causes the machine to fail (at least on the Resmed S9) Will be watching for responses to turning off or leaving on the cpap machine when not in use. thank you for your help

Me50, I leave mine on all the time, I wash all the parts twice a week and turn it off then which is during the day while the parts dry then turn it back on. I don't think it would hurt either way.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2013, 11:13 AM)mdh235 Wrote: Hi, all. I'm a new (less than 2 weeks) user of CPAP. I use a full face mask, and have some questions.

First, my equipment: ResMed S9 Autoset, Quattro FX mask. ResMed set on auto, 10.6-13. ERA 3.

I've set my hose temp to 77, and played around with the humidity from 3 to 5, but can't say I've noticed any difference.

Ok, now my issues.

1) The first few nights I only woke up once per night. Lately I'm waking up every two hours or so, not much different than before I got the ResMed.

2) My face itches under the mask. A lot. Of course, to scratch means displacing the mask, which I then have to fiddle with to get it to seal again.

Is the waking just part of getting used to the system, and has anyone else had itching problems?

That's for reading this. I'm really glad I found this site. It's been 100% more helpful than either the DME or my Doc.

mdh235, welcome, is your face itching from the air blowing on it or from where the cushion rubs agaist your face, if it is the air blowing apart from washing your face before bed there is not much option, you do get used to it over time, if it is from rubbing I use mask liners, you can buy them over the net or I make my own which are a lot cheaper, I can give you the instructions if you want. They stop the cushion from touching directly agaist your skin and help with leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

Sorry you are experiencing issues with your mask causing itching. Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2013, 05:56 PM)Tez62 Wrote: mdh235, welcome, is your face itching from the air blowing on it or from where the cushion rubs agaist your face, if it is the air blowing apart from washing your face before bed there is not much option, you do get used to it over time, if it is from rubbing I use mask liners, you can buy them over the net or I make my own which are a lot cheaper, I can give you the instructions if you want. They stop the cushion from touching directly agaist your skin and help with leaks.

I think it's from the air blowing on my face. The mask seal seems to be ok once I finally get it on right. It's probably more of a psychological reaction (like having an itch on an arm in a cast), and I'll just have to get over it.

I'm amazed I sleep as well as I do considering I'm wearing a hard plastic mask with an elephant trunk sticking out the front.

Thanks for the responses. I'll keep working on it and hopefully it will just go away.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have any quick fixes and a have my own sleep issues, but i'm putting in my two - cents worth. I've using my remed elite II, for about five years and it's been a struggle. I want to upgrade to an Autoset. I use a full face mask and have tried all the other types. I'm a mouth breather and only the FFM works for me. I even taped my mouth shut and used a nasal mask and pillows. I always go back to FFM.

Here's one thing that has helped me a lot: comply with good sleep habits. Don't take in caffeen after 5:00 pm. Sleep in a completely dark room. I have to use a sleep mask, putting it on under my CPAP. Go to bed at the same time every night. Take the TV out of the bedroom. Use a good, comfortable mattress and a comfortable pillow. If your married or have a significant other don't argue before going to bed, and don't watch the evening news (it's all bad).

Here's a Ted presentation worth watching

Russell Foster: Why do we sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2013, 05:56 PM)Tez62 Wrote:
(08-19-2013, 11:13 AM)mdh235 Wrote: Hi, all. I'm a new (less than 2 weeks) user of CPAP. I use a full face mask, and have some questions.

Ok, now my issues.

mdh235, welcome, is your face itching from the air blowing on it or from where the cushion rubs agaist your face, if it is the air blowing apart from washing your face before bed there is not much option, you do get used to it over time, if it is from rubbing I use mask liners, you can buy them over the net or I make my own which are a lot cheaper, I can give you the instructions if you want. They stop the cushion from touching directly agaist your skin and help with leaks.

MDH235..I would love instructions on how to make your own liners. I use the Wisp nasal silicone mask and I love it but the silicone really makes me itch, so although I have no "marks" from the mask, I am red where the mask touches my face and I find myself itching at night. I have 3 replacement large nasal mask, so I always have a clean one on and I do wash my face everynight before bed. I do have very sensitive skin and use Johnson's Baby Shampoo to wash everything. I do give my face a break from the Wisp and switch to my Sleepweaver..but the Sleepweaver requires way more adjusting at night but it feels like heaven on my face.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,002 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,837 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,563 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 996 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 461 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.