Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New User - Sore under nose
New User - Sore under nose
I started using a CPAP just under 2 weeks ago.  I am using a ResMed AirSense with a Phillips Respironics DreamWear nasal mask.

I was REALLY worried when I started that it would be weeks/months before i got used to it, especially since I'm a stomach sleeper, but I must say I have been mostly sleeping through the night since day one!  I still wake up from time to time but no major sleep interruption.  My sleep test said I had 200+ events during my test.  I now have under 2 an hour.

However in the last 3 days the nasal mask has started irritating the base of my nose in my sleep (where it meets my lip) to the point there is now a scab there.  The mask doesn't feel painful when I put it on or sleep but the irritation is getting worse each of the last 3 nights.

Any suggestions/tips/tricks on this?

Thanks!
Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User - Sore under nose
When I had the irritated nose issue, I used a product called Lansinoh. It's a lanolin cream that nursing mothers use. 
You can find it in the baby section of most pharmacies. 

Put a tiny dab on each nostril for a week or so before you go to sleep, and it should clear the problem up.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I will check it out!
Post Reply Post Reply
Give your skin / face some time to adjust. When I first started my CPAP Therapy, I had a few issues with my face adjusting to the mask. Nothing serious though, and within another week or so, all was good. 

It'll be three years in Sept., and I still develop a sensitive area on my face once in a great while. I don't do anything about it, and it goes away in a few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I have the same mask and had the same issue. I take a very thin piece of medical tape and put it in that area (wiping that area first with a damp cloth to make my skin less oily). I usually get Nexcare tape for sensitive skin - I found the regular tape was taking off too much skin after a few nights in a row. Hope this helps  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! The tape is a good idea!
Post Reply Post Reply
Same, same, same. Very careful adjustment of tension for one thing. The other is try to affix it out toward the end of your nose as much as possible. It won't be much, but even a paper thin margin will do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty common issue when using a nasal mask for the first time. Give your nose some time to get acquainted to its new nightly companion.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same issue with the same mask/cushion. My solution was to switch to the ResMed N30i which has a similar cushion. I think the ResMed N30i cushion is softer and have not had any issues with soreness with this cushion. It has the same top of the head connection that the DreamWear pioneered.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 423 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 646 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.