Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New User needs help please
RE: New User needs help please
My husband went years with sleep apnea before he finally got tested. I got tired of not sleeping and got the soft foam earplugs. I could barely hear him snore choke, and gasp for air when wearing them. I nagged for a long time about getting checked--he only did when his hunting and fishing buddies wouldn't take him along (his AHI was 70). I still wear the earplugs even though he has wonderful success with his Resmed, but I do get some noise from both machines--mine is at ear level very near my head. It works for me....
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Russatrice,

Unfortunately, there is no way that I could get her to go to be before me. Our stairs are way too squeaky for me to sneak into bed, and she is more of an night owl than I am. We have had to do the separate room routine, prior to the CPAP, as she could not deal with my snoring (she would have to yell at me to get me to wake up, in order to have me turn over in bed). Ironically, the best sleep I have had in months was the few weeks prior to my CPAP, as I was sleeping on the couch every night. I was managing to stay awake through most of the days during that time.

The idea had been introduced (though not seriously yet) of me sleeping in the guest room, after I reassemble the guest bed, and deal with the pile of bins in there. I so do not look forward to that job. But you are right, our basic needs are fairly non-negotiable. I may have to consider me and my CPAP on the couch for this weekend, until I can go see the RT, to troubleshoot my device. Then it will be a determination of if I am banished to the other room (at least for my own safety).
Post Reply Post Reply
Chill:
The loop idea isn't bad, but then she would actually have to listen to what I say for that to matter.

I am pretty sure it is the air in the tube that is audible. Think Darth Vader, except the the noise is on the inhale.

I had heard of sticking in the drawer, or down on the floor, beside the bed. The floor isn't an option (or I may have a cat--on their nightly patrols--turning it off during the night). The hose would be long enough, so it may be worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure to try a CPAP hose cover as it can mask a lot of noise. I think your wife is excessively sensitive to hear the exhaust from a P10, and considering the importance of this to your health, I think she faces a difficult choice.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider--

[/b]Any suggestion on where to find them? Of course I would check with RT first, if he has any.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sidesleeper--

My primary issue was snoring. On the last test, my AHI was single digits, but my oxygen level was down around 69%. I have always been able to sleep anywhere, but when it started happening after every meal and during longer drives (or sometimes during shorter errands), the white flag had to come out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got one (Snugglehose) for my wife off of Amazon last week. We both use the hose covers, and I secure it right next to the mask frame. This means the hose is a soft, quiet thing that does not wake us when it brushes our skin, or moves on furniture during the night. I think ideally, I would use one of these with a short hose cover from Suppler #31, but this works pretty good, and leaves about 1-foot near the machine uncovered. My machine is in a drawer. with the hose and electric coming through a 2-inch hole in the back. If you want silence, this is how you get it. I would not bother with RT. Get the high quality from Supplier #31, or just get a good one through Amazon.

[Image: EF17842A-98BD-4EE5-9398-4742D51CFD9D.jpg]

[Image: 760565B1-E890-46ED-9F7C-46754FB31C54.jpg]

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider--

Thank you for the photos. On a short term basis, I think I could replicate that with kitchen towels and medical tape. Might be a workable solution. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife used to notice the slight noise from my Dreamstation CPAP/APAP unit, but now it doesn't bother her.

As hour sleep patterns and work hours vary we still spend most "work nights" in separate bedrooms (those nights where we have to work the following day), and on non work nights or those nights where our sleep hours line up we sleep in the same bed.

To overcome the noise I placed a large nylon kitchen chopping board between the mattress and base, then placed a folded towel on top to help muffle the noise, and I drape the towel down in front of the unit to cover the light that comes on for a short time when I switch the unit off/on during the odd "wee walk" I do during the night.

[Image: 20160710_095359_resized_zpsoqhpouu7.jpg]

[Image: 20160709_165558_resized_zps4clcvzpk.jpg]

We also have a pedestal fan that we use on hot nights, it masks any CPAP noise almost totally... perhaps a desk top fan would work for you, just aim it away from you if you don't need cool air blowing on you during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought that the P10 was loud (I couldn't fall asleep with it because of the noise) until I tried a larger pillow size. I was small-moved up to a medium and the noise went away.

Do you hear the noise? Or only your wife?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,129 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,192 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.