Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New User needs help please
Sad 
New User needs help please
Hi everybody. I just got my Dream Station APAP (DSX500T11) about a week ago, as I was diagnosed with mild OSA in 2009, but resisted getting my device as my wife was fearful the machine noise would keep her awake. Repeated instances of falling asleep at inappropriate times (especially while driving) was the sign it was time.

The SP submitted the order for the DreamStation, and I put it to use right away. It was supposed to be so quiet that the only time it would make noise was when the air escaped as the mask was pulled away. All is good, in theory.

In reality, I am still getting lousy sleep. I put the mask (nasal pillow) on, turn it on, and I can go to sleep. However, my wife stays awake most of the night, as there is the continuous sound of loud air movement in my hose with each inhalation. In turn, she repeatedly wakes me, telling me to check the device, to find out what is wrong. As a result, I get just over 4 hours (insurance compliance minimum) in bed, before I give up and get out of bed (cannot stay in bed, as the snoring is worse). I am wiped out for the rest of the day.

I have checked all my connections, and tightened my mask. There is no air escaping from the mask. However, last night, there was something new, as it sounded like there was a continuous hiss from the machine (as least while I was awake).

I tried calling the RT yesterday, but he left out early for the weekend. I really don't want to spend the weekend on the couch again, so I would really appreciate any advise you guys can give me.

Unfortunately, I can't post device data, as my Surface Pro doesn't have a SD card slot.

Russell
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User needs help please
Until you can get the machine checked out, maybe try using a white noise generator, such as a fan, or specific device (I found one on Amazon that is working nicely), to mask the intermittent breathing noise by providing a constant overlay of sound.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your response.

I tried playing music last night, but still trying to find something soothing enough to help the wife.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

Is your wife unusually sensitive to noise? My machine makes less noise than a room fan with the exception of when my mask leaks. A white noise machine is a common suggestion to alleviate this, though that may bother her just as much.

There will be air escaping from the mask. When you exhale it has to go somewhere. A nasal pillow mask is usually pretty quiet. It would help a lot if you can find out which mask you have and fill out your profile fully. We use that information a lot, it is not optional if you want help.

The leak from the machine is likely from the humidifier. Check that it is fully latched and that all of the silicone seals are in the correct position and not pinched. The only other location of a potential leak is where the hose snaps into the humidifier. It is also possible that something has punctured your hose. You should be able to feel that with your hand while the mask is on, or if you turn on the machine and cover the end of the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 05:19 PM)RRussell Wrote: ...I tried playing music last night, but still trying to find something soothing enough to help the wife.

Music has a pattern and encourages you to attend to it ... and stay awake.
White noise is a constant sound that you tend to tune out and which is just a tad louder than intermittent sounds so that you don't easily perceive them.

Post Reply Post Reply
Beej,

Interesting. I will see if I can find a white noise app to run on the Kindle.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi Chill,

Thanks for the info. I updated my mask data (Airfit P10). And, yes, she is sensitive to noise when trying to get to sleep.

The RT made sure to tell me about air coming out of the mask is essential (at least if I would like to continue with therapy). But I don't think I have excessive air loss there. The device is giving me 100% on mask fit.

Most of the sound seems to be coming from the device or in the hose. I removed the humidifier and plugged straight into the DreamStation, to see if it made any difference. I am hoping the sound of air movement in the hose is not a standard issue. I have also checked the gasket just inside the humidifier, as the RT mentioned if it was not seated properly, there could be unusual noise. I have also run with and without water in the humidifier (I seem ok either way on have the extra moisture). I will check the tube for leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Before CPAP, when I was still snoring loudly, I would let my husband go to bed before me so he would already be asleep by the time I'd start up "the power saw" noise, as he would succinctly put it. I did also seriously consider sleeping in another room. You both seem to have needs that are important and non negotiable to a certain degree, because you both need sleep. Period! Perhaps discussing alternatives might be necessary. Sleeping apart during the week (have to be rested for work), but share a bed on the weekends? You might have to be creative. How did she put up with your snoring before CPAP? My husband accepts the occasional noise from mask leaks a lot better than he did the constant snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 05:19 PM)RRussell Wrote: still trying to find something soothing enough to help the wife.

This works for me: "Yes dear. Of course dear. You are so right dear. What er you want dear." Maybe you could tape it and play it in a loop. Grin

Seriously, I'd look at ear plugs, white noise, or a separate room. I was very concerned about the noise bother my wife but she has not said a word other then when there is a large leak or the exhaust blows on her face.

I can't hear the air moving in the tube. Can you? Perhaps she is hearing something else and interpreting it as that? The blower in the machine spins faster when you inhale to increase the volume of air to maintain the set pressure. And it slows when you exhale. This might be what she is hearing. Some people put the machine in a drawer in their night table to reduce this very small (IMO) noise. You might try something like that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2017, 05:34 PM)RRussell Wrote: ...I will see if I can find a white noise app to run on the Kindle.

I just searched on Amazon. Yup. Lots of options for Kindle. They also have separate devices that create white noise.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,129 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,215 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.