Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New User
Question 
New User
Hello, by tomorrow I will be a new member of the CPAP world.
I purchased a Resmed Airsense 10 Auto CPAP along with the Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow.

Before I start my endevour tomorrow I was wondering if there are any tips, advice and recommendations from this forum that would help me in getting started for this "trip".

Thanks in advance for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User
Welcome!

I have the same machine/mask. I turned off ramp up and changed it from hard set pressure to automatic with a range of 10-15.

To get used to the mask wear it, disconnected from the machine, for 30 minutes during the day until you stop ripping it off at night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jorgeluis37!

Welcome

One little trick to help in adapting to your new sleeping environment is to wear the mask and use the CPAP while watching TV or reading before retiring for the night. This will go a long way to desensitize the odd feeling of having "stuff" on your face when you're trying to sleep.

Good luck with your therapy!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jorgeluis37,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You have a good attitude about your therapy and that goes a long way.
Much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy tomorrow, hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome jorgeluis37 to our club.

I'm happy science has a therapy for us all. I'm equally sorry any of us need it.

here's one of the little things I've learned.
  • Always, Always, Always, did I say ALWAYS? Wash your face before putting your mask on your face.
  • I use an astringent on the areas where the mask would touch my skin {Alcohol based seems to work best for me, YMMV]
    • Forehead
    • Around nose
    • If using Pillows, Upper lip; bottom of nose; sides of face
  • Wash your mask every day.
This seems to do two things
  • Keeps your face clean
  • Helps to prepare your face and mask for a good seal to occur between the skin and the mask.

As always, YMMV
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the tips and encouragement!
It turns out that the machine arrives tomorrow, so one more day of waiting.

In regards to tracking software, where do you recommend I start?
Haven't researched much on this topic... Are there any iphone apps or only mac/PC?

Also, where can I get familiar with the terms that are used (ex. rainout, etc)?
Post Reply Post Reply
The general consensus here is that the SleepyHead software is the easiest to use. It is free, and runs on Macs and Windows, (and with some effort, on Linux - we will help). At first glance it provides more information than you will know how to use, but our wiki has a very good guide. There is a link to the download information at he top of the page.

The wiki also has a glossary of apnea terms that is very complete.

Welcome to our world.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,112 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,162 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.