Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New and confused
New and confused
I just got a Apex iCH auto cpap yesterday. I used it last night and I think I slept through the night. I woke up at 5 am to use restroom and really couldnt go back to sleep. I'm not sure if I did it right or not. Sorry but I have several questions and hope someone can help.

1) I use a face mask, covers mouth and has a nasal pillow. It felt strange and it looked like I have it on like the pics that came with it. I'm not sure if I had it on right or not. I felt and heard air coming out from front of mask and sometimes from sides. Am I doing something wrong?

2) I have it set at 6 to 15 for pressure on APAP mode. When I woke up to go to bathroom I noticed it was a t 12, I set it on standby and came back and started again, but it started at 6 again. Is this normal did I do something wrong? Because it felt like I was suffocating not getting enough air.

3) I feel like I slept all night and my wife says I didnt snore, but I feel light headed in the morning and a little tired like I been up all night. But, not like when I wake up without it and feel really tired. Does this sound strange?

I'm confused as to if I'm using this correctly or not. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New and confused
(03-08-2017, 11:56 AM)nosnoring4me Wrote: I just got a Apex iCH auto cpap yesterday. I used it last night and I think I slept through the night. I woke up at 5 am to use restroom and really couldnt go back to sleep. I'm not sure if I did it right or not. Sorry but I have several questions and hope someone can help.

1) I use a face mask, covers mouth and has a nasal pillow. It felt strange and it looked like I have it on like the pics that came with it. I'm not sure if I had it on right or not. I felt and heard air coming out from front of mask and sometimes from sides. Am I doing something wrong?

2) I have it set at 6 to 15 for pressure on APAP mode. When I woke up to go to bathroom I noticed it was a t 12, I set it on standby and came back and started again, but it started at 6 again. Is this normal did I do something wrong? Because it felt like I was suffocating not getting enough air.

3) I feel like I slept all night and my wife says I didnt snore, but I feel light headed in the morning and a little tired like I been up all night. But, not like when I wake up without it and feel really tired. Does this sound strange?

I'm confused as to if I'm using this correctly or not. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My ideas...

(1) Your machine may have a "Mask Leak" result in the settings to view how successful your mask sealing from air was.  Most people on this board check their results through software such as SleepyHead to show how well their mask is working.

(2) Machines usually reset to their beginning air pressure when stopped, though I'm not sure of your machine's standby function.  Yes, it's true that when you're used to 12, 6 will feel like you're not getting enough air.  Some people just remove their mask and let the air keep blowing for the short time they are away, unless your machine is set to auto-off.  Your settings are set to start air pressure quite low at 6.  Many will say that you should adjust your range to what your results show that you actually typically utilize.  If it starts at 6 but quickly goes to a range of around 12, then perhaps you might want the lower range setting to be closer to 12 -- say 8 or 9, rather than 6, so you won't feel the low 6 pressure is starving you of air during the night.

(3) You need to view your results from your machine or through software like SleepyHead.  Otherwise, you'll have no idea of the effectiveness of your machine.  Even if you are getting good results for Obstructive Sleep Apnea, additional study of your results may indicate that you are not being effectively treated for Central Sleep Apnea.  You need to view your detailed results.

Good luck and welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check for Apex Easy Compliance Software program here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Available
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2017, 11:56 AM)nosnoring4me Wrote: 1) I use a face mask, covers mouth and has a nasal pillow. It felt strange and it looked like I have it on like the pics that came with it. I'm not sure if I had it on right or not. I felt and heard air coming out from front of mask and sometimes from sides. Am I doing something wrong?   Masks have vents -- they must be there to flush expelled breath.  Likely you're not doing anything wrong.

2) I have it set at 6 to 15 for pressure on APAP mode. When I woke up to go to bathroom I noticed it was a t 12, I set it on standby and came back and started again, but it started at 6 again. Is this normal did I do something wrong? Because it felt like I was suffocating not getting enough air.  When you set it to standby, the pressue reset to the minimum.  If you feel air starved at 6, the min pressure may need to be higher.

3) I feel like I slept all night and my wife says I didnt snore, but I feel light headed in the morning and a little tired like I been up all night. But, not like when I wake up without it and feel really tired. Does this sound strange?  Not strange.  There's an adjustment period for a new user
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nosnoring4me,
WELCOME to the forum.!
It doesn’t sound strange to be lightheaded at first, it’s part of the adjustment process and should go away. If it doesn’t go away fairly quickly, mention this to your doc.
The mask you are describing is called a hybrid and it is considered a full-face mask, (FFM.)
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome nosnoring4me. You will feel tired initially and your chest/ ribs may even ache a little as the body is getting used to exhaling against the Apap pressure. It's like doing breathing exercises the whole night at the start. The ache will pass in due course.

You won't be able to use sleepyhead software, so download the Easy Compliance software that Sleeprider has provided the linked to. You will be able to see your pressure and leak data.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Repeated..
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2017, 07:50 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote: Welcome nosnoring4me. You will feel tired initially and your chest/ ribs may even ache a little as the body is getting used to exhaling against the Apap pressure. It's like doing breathing exercises the whole night at the start. The ache will pass in due course.

You won't be able to use sleepyhead software, so download the Easy Compliance software that Sleeprider has provided the linked to. You will be able to see your pressure and leak data.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 293 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 359 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 718 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 526 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New and confused Retvet72 3 469 07-18-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  A little confused. David Clark 12 909 06-25-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.