Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New but not new
New but not new
I just had a sleep study done on Sunday night and at 1:30 am they came in and started CPAP. I had had an overnight pulse ox prior and it came back that I was below 90% 80 percent of the night and dropping down to 75% at times so based on what I know I will be getting a cpap just don't know how quickly it will all go forward.

I have cough variant asthma so I am not sure how that will all come into play during my adjustment to the cpap, I know I air trap so I am a little worried that the air pushing in when I am trying to exhale is a little worrisome.

I actually did fairly good on the cpap at the lab and it was a full face mask, I know I need more humidity in it when I mouth breath because I spent part of my time trying to moisten my mouth.

I am hoping to get an auto machine but it looks like my insurance will make me go with a standard cpap first.

The reason I say I am not new to knowing about cpap's is my husband has used one for years. However he just takes whatever the doctors give him and has no idea what pressure, what his AHI index was or any of that jazz and I am the opposite. I want to know who, what, why, where of things especially medical.

I have fibromyalgia and pretty sure some sort of restless leg syndrome. I kicked the sensors off my legs during the night so I don't know how much info they got but since I kicked all 4 off twice I think they should have an idea.

I am thankful for forums such as this so I can be a little more informed going into this. My pulmonologist doesn't go over anything and I am pretty sure I am switching doctors soon.

Cindy
Cindy lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New but not new
With O2 levels that low CPAP alone is unlikely to help. My levels were similarly low and after a month on two CPAP machines (one for testing and assessment, one purchased) they were still low. An oxygen concentrator was bought to my house and added 3 liters of oxygen per minute into the air flow.

I immediately began to feel better after that. However oxygen is not the only approach.

I did another overnight oxymetry and will return the device to my supplier, and we'll see if this is the way I should be going.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
So are you doing cpap with the oxygen added? We will see what happens my oxygen level stayed at 90 to 92 on the hours I was on the cpap. Did you do the overnight oxymetry with both oxygen and cpap going or just oxygen?

Cindy lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2015, 05:42 PM)clrapstad Wrote: So are you doing cpap with the oxygen added? We will see what happens my oxygen level stayed at 90 to 92 on the hours I was on the cpap. Did you do the overnight oxymetry with both oxygen and cpap going or just oxygen?

I did one after about two weeks on my new machine and it showed O2 levels still well below 90% most of the night. I did another the other day and am waiting for the results after about a month on the O2 with the CPAP.

Given that the CPAP alone seems to be helping your O2 levels by itself it might be all you need. That might be because the machine is opening up your airways and you are getting more air, especially if your apnea is mostly obstructive.

I probably overstated the case when I implied that O2 levels that low were likely to require added therapy.

I am not a doctor and I don't play one on T.V.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
No worry Ed, I actually was surprised when they didn't come back in and add oxygen because I fully expected them to from something the nurse said to me.
I wonder however if when I am sleeping at home and not worried about being watched when I sleep and I am not hooked up to a bunch of wires if a deeper level of sleep would cause more problems. I think I will have them do an overnight pulse ox after I get the cpap and am used to it.

I don't play a doctor on tv either but I sure ask alot of questions because we have had some health issues and scares when we haven't been dilligent in looking into things and just trusting the doctors.

So what did yous sleep study show about when your ox levels were dropping?
Cindy lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome clrapstad, the CPAP may help or fix the fibromyalgia and restless leg syndrome, if you have it, my sister's fibro has improved since being diagnosed with sleep apnea and I have PLMD (Perodic Limb Movement Disorder) which is similar to RLS and CPAP has helped that without taking any meds.
Good luck with your journey and keep asking questions
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2015, 05:59 PM)clrapstad Wrote: So what did yous sleep study show about when your ox levels were dropping?

It showed they were low most of the night. I am not sure what my AHI was in the study, I'll try to remember to ask my respirologist when I see him next. At the time of the study I didn't know what an AHI was.

The first time I saw the R he told me he thought it likely that I was an "interesting" case because he thought I was not obese enough to be a typical obstructive apnea patient. This was just based on his initial examination. It's looking like he was right.

My AHI levels on the machine are really quite low, generally <1 per hour, and a couple of nights I was even at zero.

I definitely feel a lot better since they added the O2 in, though of course that might just be a placebo effect.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2015, 05:23 PM)clrapstad Wrote: I just had a sleep study done on Sunday night and at 1:30 am they came in and started CPAP. I had had an overnight pulse ox prior and it came back that I was below 90% 80 percent of the night and dropping down to 75% at times so based on what I know I will be getting a cpap just don't know how quickly it will all go forward.

I have cough variant asthma so I am not sure how that will all come into play during my adjustment to the cpap, I know I air trap so I am a little worried that the air pushing in when I am trying to exhale is a little worrisome.

Hi Cindy,

Most of the machines being used now have the option of a reduced exhale pressure. I understand your concern because with your issue as with mine, the real problem is the ability to exhale. I have "severe" (I don't know why they keep calling it severe, but it seems to make them happy.) emphysema. When I got my machine I set it up with the EPR (Expiration pressure relief) turned off, and I seemed to do fine. But then one day Paula said something that made me think I should try the EPR and it made a lot of difference. So in my case, inhalation pressure is normally around 11 or 12, and exhale pressure drops to 8 or 9.

The other thing that I discovered quickly with my therapy is my O2 level perks along all night at 93 or 94, which for me is way good. That's better than it usually does during the day. So I'm good with that.

(02-03-2015, 05:23 PM)clrapstad Wrote: I actually did fairly good on the cpap at the lab and it was a full face mask, I know I need more humidity in it when I mouth breath because I spent part of my time trying to moisten my mouth.

I am hoping to get an auto machine but it looks like my insurance will make me go with a standard cpap first.

Your insurance company does not get to say whether or not you get an automatic machine. You and your doctor do that. It is really important at this point to make sure your doc prescribes a fully functional automatic machine. You don't get do-overs for something like 5 years.

So ask for a copy of the prescription, and ask the doc straight up if he/she would prescribe either the new Resmed A10 for Her machine, or the S9 Autoset.

As to the mask, I used to think I could only use a full face mask because of not breathing through my nose all that great, and because with the emphysema I huff and puff a lot through my mouth. But that's really not true. Moving to a pillows mask was the best thing I have done. So think on that.

Good luck Cindy, and keep us posted as to your progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi clrapstad,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Make sure you get a full, (not just the summary,)copy of your sleep study and your Prescription.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My insurance is Blue Cross Blue Shield and I am seeing in there they say you can't get other than a standard cpap and then have to fail at it basically to get an auto or bi level machine. I am going to call them tomorrow so I have a better idea when I speak to the doctor. I would like an auto machine for several reasons.

I want to be ready when I visit with the doctor. I did sign a form that I wanted a copy of my report. If it isn't the full report then I will go back and get that. I think I will do that also with my pft and overnight pulse ox because I only got summary's on that.

Has anyone had it reverse their pulmonary hypertension being on cpap? Mine is mild but I do have some.
Cindy lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.