Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New but not new
RE: New but not new
(02-05-2015, 07:04 PM)TorontoCPAPguy Wrote: Desats of the extent you describe during the night are a recipe for disaster. At the very least you are aiming yourself at such monsters as Atrial Fibrillation, Type II diabetes, chronic hypertension, increased stroke risk, etc.

Well, I've had the Type ii for many years and started insulin last year.

I am already on the oxygen and I think I feel better with it (but I am not immune to placebo effects of course). I returned my most recent oximetry result yesterday and had the Holter monitor for a day a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had an emergency call from my G.P. so I assume the results weren't too bad.

I can still walk a kilometer a day without getting disastrously tired.

Today was the second day I did not need a morning nap, though I took one after I got back from my walk this afternoon. I don't use the CPAP during naps but I do put the mask on and breath the oxygen and this seems to help a lot.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I got my study back sleep period was 469 minutes sleep time was 316.5 minutes 62.4% efficiency. 13.3 slow wave sleep and 15.6 rem sleep during control apnea hypopneic index at 17.9 episodes per hour. 71.5 episodes her hour during rem sleep with drop in oxygen to 72% oxygen nonsupine the entire portion of the study.
CPAP was tirtrated from 6-8 cm with her on her right side most of the time. Appeared that all levels of cpap 6-8 worked well. 7 cm cpap for 80.8 minutes sleeping on her right side with apnea-hypopneic index being zero and saturates dropping no lower than 88%.

Moderately severe obstructive sleep apnea and hypopnea syndrome, code number 327.23 becoming severe during rem sleep and associated with significant drops in oxygen saturation. Recommend CPAP level of 6-8 using small AirFit F10 full face mask with heated humidity.

Cindy lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Well your auto CPAP is justified by the variable apnea levels of positional apnea. There is no question you will be issued a machine and accessories. You seem to know what you want, and the sleep study gives you all the reasons you need to justify it. Many DMEs are doing this without dispute, so the next step is getting your prescription.

Based on varying pressure needs associated with positional apnea, let the doctor know you want the auto CPAP. It's always easier if it is in the prescription. Have you tried nasal therapy devices like nasal pillows? You were titrated on a full-face, but life is better with less if you can tolerate it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know people seem to do better with the nasal pillows but here is the thing they won't issue two masks correct? I have severe allergies, nasal polyps and a deviated septum. If my allergies are better and I am not sick I can breath ok out of one nostril. Probably about 80 percent of my breathing is mouth breathing when I am awake. During the test however I had such a dry throat that I pushed a pillow under my neck so I wouldn't mouth breath, my throat felt like the sahara desert.
I would love to have two masks one when I am sick or have allergies and one when my nose is clearer.

Cindy lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
cl it really doesn't matter what the DME rents their machines for IF you have insurance because there is a contracted price that the insurance company pays to the DME. If you don't have insurance that is another story and an uninsured person would have to pay their rate or look for someone that rents for less money.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I typed that out I did skip that he said auto cpap. so that is not the problem. I want one that will back down pressure when I exhale as well.
Cindy lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2015, 12:04 AM)clrapstad Wrote: I know people seem to do better with the nasal pillows but here is the thing they won't issue two masks correct? I have severe allergies, nasal polyps and a deviated septum. If my allergies are better and I am not sick I can breath ok out of one nostril. Probably about 80 percent of my breathing is mouth breathing when I am awake. During the test however I had such a dry throat that I pushed a pillow under my neck so I wouldn't mouth breath, my throat felt like the sahara desert.
I would love to have two masks one when I am sick or have allergies and one when my nose is clearer.

you could get a mask that will work when you have allergies and are sick and then it would work all the time. I have allergies and was sick beginning in November and I am just now getting where I am functioning again although not at 100%. I use the wisp nasal mask and it works fine all the time. I like the mask. I do NOT like FFM but that is just me; some like them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Today the prescription was faxed to the DME. They didn't specify the machine but I told the DME I wanted the Resmed 10 for her. It does specify heated humidifier and the climate line tubing and says something about download after 30 days.
I also got more of the report today from the doctors nurse. No central apneas, didn't really address the leg movement other than to say I had 7 episodes (at least when I had the sensors attached which I kicked off twice) My AHI dropped to zero when I was on the cpap in rem sleep. My heart rate wants to race when I sleep up to 128 at times.

Cindy lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure you do not accept the Airsense 10 CPAP. It has no data and is a straight CPAP with EPR. The Elite has data and is a nice machine, but not Auto. The Exhale Pressure Reduction (EPR) is on all Resmed machines and offers 0-3 cm pressure reduction on exhale. If you needed more than that, it would require a bilevel (VPAP).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
airsense 10 autoset for her that on has data correct?
Cindy lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.