Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

DREAMSTATION WHISTLE
RE: DREAMSTATION WHISTLE
I bought one of these machines less than a week ago. Compared to my old machine (Resmed) it is very noisy. There is a harmonic droning sound on breathing in and out. Probably faulty bearings.

I have a question - the above people who took their machines back and got replacements - what happens to these replaced machines? Do they get re-sold again as a new machine to new customers like myself?

This is unethical, especially when dealing with medical equipment.

The machines should be tested for noises at the factory before they are sold. This all wastes customers time.
I have heard it costs too much to send goods back to the manufacturer and their policy is to simply pass the problem onto someone else.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2017, 05:37 AM)Collin Wrote: I bought one of these machines less than a week ago. Compared to my old machine (Resmed) it is very noisy. There is a harmonic droning  sound on breathing in and out. Probably faulty bearings.

I have  a question - the above people who took their machines back and got replacements - what happens to these replaced machines? Do they get re-sold again as a new machine to new customers like myself?

This is unethical, especially when dealing with medical equipment.

The machines should be tested for noises at the factory before they are sold. This all wastes customers time.
I have heard it costs too much to send goods back to the manufacturer and their policy is to simply pass the problem  onto someone else.

Hi Collin, 

I can't say for sure what happens to the "faulty" machines, but we kept on our supplier to get a replacement.  We also kept track of the serial numbers of the machines that we have had.  If its any consolation, it would appear, at least in our situation, that we are getting newer (better?) machines. (still don't know where the old ones go..) 

I agree that going back to the supplier is a waste of time but that's the only way to get your machine replaced. I don't know why the manufacturer has such poor quality control on their machines.  Maybe we (the consumers) should be contacting them directly and bypassing the provider as this problem seems to be more and more common (at least here on the forum)

Wishing you luck on getting a new and quiet machine! Smile

I'm not the "sleeper" but I am his messenger
Wave
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider - once again you fixed my problem....... this time without actually doing anything this time round - I had an annoying whistle coming from the humidifierr so started searching and came across this thread.

The humidifier large top seal (which you attached the photo of) was the cause of problem - just removed it and cleaned it, this has now been added to my list of what to regularly clean !

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
This problem caused me to look at the mechanics of how the humidifier actually works and the whistle now makes sense as in the humidifier part of the machine there are two seals which are 'engaged' (compressed) by the act of closing the lid.

Seal one seals back to the CPAP where it 'blows' and the second seals the open top of the water container to the hose connection.

It therefore works by the metal plate under the water container heating up and causing the water to evaporate as the air from the blower passes over it and out to the tube - more heat equals more evaporation ...... all makes sense now and I will now always pull out and clean both of these seals for its weekly clean.

Thought I'd explain it for anyone who thought about it or figured it out - please feel free to correct any inaccuracies

Rob

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2018, 08:55 PM)Technopauper Wrote: Sleeprider - once again you fixed my problem....... this time without actually doing anything this time round - I had an annoying whistle coming from the humidifierr so started searching and came across this thread.

The humidifier large top seal (which you attached the photo of) was the cause of problem - just removed it and cleaned it, this has now been added to my list of what to regularly clean !

Thanks

That was easy!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Sleeprider - thanks for the info on the flip lid seal. I have had my BiPAP Dreamstation since March 2017 and fortunately, I did not experience any of the manufacturing issues many others on this board have. After 20 months of blissful sleep, it began to whistle intermittently on the intake beginning in Nov. At first I was able to stop it by opening and closing the lid hard a couple of times. Unfortunately, it has recently begun to be more persistent though it eventually goes away after some time. The whistling is definitely caused by air leaking because when I press down on the lid or from the rear of the machine, the whistle goes away.

So happy to find your suggestion on this forum thread and I just ordered a new flip lid seal. I'm confident that it will solve the whistling and glad that it's relatively inexpensive. I suspect that because my air pressure is so high, the seal got worn down and it's something that I'll need to replace every so often.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask - Whistle on exhalation slane52186 4 543 10-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: slane52186
  F&P Vitera Full Face Mask Whistle berkshire17 20 4,654 11-23-2022, 04:18 PM
Last Post: berkshire17
  Dreamstation 1 to Dreamstation 2 - hardly any water use Lazagna 4 1,696 10-22-2022, 06:59 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [CPAP] Dreamstation 2 vs. Dreamstation 1 Pressure FOMO 2 1,527 09-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Last Post: FOMO
  DreamWear nasal Cushion air vent makes a high pitch whistle noise watertrails 9 2,503 04-24-2022, 02:14 PM
Last Post: watertrails
  [CPAP] Philips Dreamstation & Dreamstation Go Different AHI? Thedudefino 2 1,292 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Thedudefino
  [CPAP] Is it normal to hear a subtle whistle when the machine is working? juanjo 24 7,722 05-27-2020, 06:44 PM
Last Post: UncollapseMeThroat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.