Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New mask Monday wil it be beter?
New mask Monday wil it be beter?
I have been on CPAP for a little over 2 years now. I have tried many masks.
I find any with nasal pillows puffs or prongs etc tend to irritate my nares, especially when my sinuses are acting up ( about 705 of the time).
Until Monday I have been using SleepWeaver elan™ Soft Cloth Nasal CPAP Mask. it has generally been comfortable but some nights pron to leaks and trumpeting.
Monday I get my first full face Quattro™ FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear.
Any comments pro or con?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New mask Monday wil it be beter?
(04-21-2013, 10:49 PM)bwexler Wrote: Monday I get my first full face Quattro™ FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear.
Any comments pro or con?
Welcome to the forum. When it comes to mask choice, everyone is different.
I use Activa LT nasal mask and works well for me but there is way to know if this mask or any other mask works as well for you without trying it for few nights. Quattro FX ... fitting guides videos http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA23652FAF5627F3F

Post Reply Post Reply
bwexler, from what I have heard teh SleepWeaver only works well for people on low pressures. I use the Resmed Mirage Quattro FFM and like all masks they take some getting used too. With any mask I suggest that the hose come from above your head rather than by your side and with a FFM use mask liners for comfort and to reduce the silicone touching your skin. You can get them online from Remzzz's or I can give you the instructions to make your own (much cheaper). It is very hard to give people pro's and cons because everyones face is a different size and what fits one suits one person may not suit another. I think it's worth a try especailly if you are a mouth breather.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the others. As I have read before, the Mask is the most important aspect of being able to Conquer this journey. Dont give up, it will be worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2013, 10:49 PM)bwexler Wrote: I have been on CPAP for a little over 2 years now. I have tried many masks.
I find any with nasal pillows puffs or prongs etc tend to irritate my nares, especially when my sinuses are acting up ( about 705 of the time).
Until Monday I have been using SleepWeaver elan™ Soft Cloth Nasal CPAP Mask. it has generally been comfortable but some nights pron to leaks and trumpeting.
Monday I get my first full face Quattro™ FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear.
Any comments pro or con?

For me, the Quattro FX has been my mask of choice for over a year and a half now. Tried Swift FX, Mirage Liberty and Mirage Quattro, but the Quattro FX has produced both the best comfort and lowest leak rates (zero most nights) by far of these four masks. It can be a little tricky initially to properly fit it, so watch videos on YouTube or do a search on this forum as there are plenty of tips. Like any mask however, your results may differ. Good luck,, let us know if it works out for you. Welcome to the Forum too!
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bwexler,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What everyone has said so far.
I hope the new mask works for you; keep us posted.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I personally use the Quattro FX and had problems with leaks until I started using a liner. Personally, I would recommend the Quietus Liner over the RemZzzs. I tried the RemZzz liner, but it wasn't effective for me. The Quietus liner has a slightly sticky side and that makes all the difference. The sticky side is placed on the membrane and it does a much better job of holding it in place.

When I used the RemZzz liner, if I had to readjust my mask for any reason, the liner would fall into the mask and I would end up chucking it. With the Quietus it stays in place and if I'm careful I can readjust my mask without losing the liner.

For what it's worth, I love the feeling of the liner against my face rather than dealing with the feel of the membrane. I'm not allergic or anything like that, it is just a preference. So if you can use the RemZzz and make it work for you, well and good.

If you have problems with the RemZzz liner like I did, then you might try the Quietus. It may seem more expensive, but I have been using the same liner for over two weeks and it is still going strong. The RemZzz is to be used once and then discarded, and like I said I couldn't even make it work for one night.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Quattro FX can be a tricky little beast to tame; but, if you can get it adjusted just right and learn all the little tricks to getting a good seal, it could quickly become a favorite. Everyone is different though.

Important things to remember with the Quattro FX:

- Make sure to use the sizing chart to get the right size.
- The silicone cushion needs to be "sqeaky clean" in order to get a good seal. I've found that liquid dish soap and plenty of warm water do a dandy job. Make sure to rinse very well.
- It helps to stay clean shaven.
- Don't over-tighten. It has to be loose enough for the silicone cushion to inflate. Tightening too much isn't just uncomfortable, it can cause leaks. Tightening is not the solution to every leak.

I rarely use liners any more. Liners do make it more comfortable, but I've found that they cause me to have a fairly steady and continuous unintentional leak of about 2 - 6 liters per minute - I know it's not really a concern and I can't feel the leak because of the liner, but I just don't like it and it could be a problem for someone who is already having leak problems. Liners can also be a hassle to use all of the time. I keep a bunch of homemade ones with me though because they do come in handy and help minimize leaks if I can't shave at night (or get too lazy).

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
You know, the Quartro FX gives me the most restful sleep and I feel the most invigorated in the morning when I sleep with that mask.

Unfortunately, for me, in order to tame the leaks, I over tightened and ended up with pressure sores atop the bridge of my nose that took three weeks to heal and, to this day, you can still see the mark it left behind.

Take the previous advise (don't be like me) if you have leaks, avoid the tendency to over tighten. Your nose will thank you for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
First night not too bad. AHI jumped up to 5.8 from 0.4 & 1.0 with my old Sleapweaver Élan. I still have to learn proper adjustment and leak prevention etc.
I do think this can be a decent choice once I get used to it.
I can imagine switching between the FX and the Élan just for variety.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,531 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,219 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Day Surgery on Monday - told to take my PAP machine? StevesSp 7 1,212 08-16-2022, 05:10 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Get my machine on Monday. What settings should I start with? Sleepgains 4 940 03-15-2020, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Sleepgains
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,428 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.