Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New noise from mask
New noise from mask
Hi, my husband has been using CPAP for at least five years and other than the mask coming dislodged and making a very loud blowing noise on occasion, both he and I are much happier. Recently, I feel his mask is making a different noise in which I can hear a louder than usual noise as he exhales. The noise is much quieter than when his mask leaks but loud enough to hear over my white noise machine and loud enough to interfere with my sleep.
He says it is a normal noise, just the air hitting the sheets, and says that all the connections are snug, and that I am just being overly sensitive, but I KNOW something is different. It is not constant all night and does get better if I ask him to move but then it starts again. It seems not to occur as much when he is on his back but he can't sleep well in that position. He recently lost 15 lbs going low carb, but he lost (and then found) the same 15 pounds last year and this noise issue didn't happen then. He doesn't use a humidifier and doesn't regularly wash his mask (never has and that hasn't seemed to be a problem for him...he is not much into maintenance, ha, ha).
I don't want to go back to sleeping in separate bedrooms or my having to take sleeping pills (which was the case prior to his OSA diagnosis back in the horrible snoring days) but here it is 2 in the morning and I can't sleep!
I thought about buying him some sort of special buckwheat pillow to see if that would help. Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New noise from mask
(02-13-2014, 02:07 AM)KJHC Wrote: Hi, my husband has been using CPAP for at least five years and other than the mask coming dislodged and making a very loud blowing noise on occasion, both he and I are much happier. Recently, I feel his mask is making a different noise in which I can hear a louder than usual noise as he exhales. The noise is much quieter than when his mask leaks but loud enough to hear over my white noise machine and loud enough to interfere with my sleep.
He says it is a normal noise, just the air hitting the sheets, and says that all the connections are snug, and that I am just being overly sensitive, but I KNOW something is different. It is not constant all night and does get better if I ask him to move but then it starts again. It seems not to occur as much when he is on his back but he can't sleep well in that position. He recently lost 15 lbs going low carb, but he lost (and then found) the same 15 pounds last year and this noise issue didn't happen then. He doesn't use a humidifier and doesn't regularly wash his mask (never has and that hasn't seemed to be a problem for him...he is not much into maintenance, ha, ha).
I don't want to go back to sleeping in separate bedrooms or my having to take sleeping pills (which was the case prior to his OSA diagnosis back in the horrible snoring days) but here it is 2 in the morning and I can't sleep!
I thought about buying him some sort of special buckwheat pillow to see if that would help. Any ideas?

if it isn't coming from his machine (I would check that) then I would ask how old is his mask? he may need to get a new cushion or a whole new kit. washing the cushion and other things aren't just to make them last, it is for health reasons so there is no germs, etc. Also, changing the filters helps keep crap out of the machine (and maybe what he breaths) and makes the machine last longer.

I am sure others will have more suggestions. In the meantime, cotton or ear plugs until you find what is keeping you awake?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2014, 02:07 AM)KJHC Wrote: He says it is a normal noise, just the air hitting the sheets,
Hi KJHC, welcome abaord
All masks have vents holes to flush out exhaled air which is important to keep clear so we breath fresh air coming from the machine. Sleeping back to back so he sleep facing his machine or a pillow in between might helps. Some masks are more quieter than others, might be good idea to complete user profile so we know what machine using, pressure setting, and mask make/model

Post Reply Post Reply
I would check the easy stuff first. Replace the machine's filters. Get a new mask and hose. These items are not designed to last for more than 3 months, although many of us get far more use out of them than that with no problems.

Also, please fill in your profile with the machine type, etc. Knowing that will help us help you. For example, if he has a APAP it may be that the pressure is rising and that's the cause of the noise. As we age we lose muscle tone and a APAP is designed to raise the pressure in response to a narrowing of the airway. This, combined with the weight gain, could be causing a bump in pressure which could increase the noise level.

Other things to try are earplugs or a louder white noise machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. I updated a few things on my profile. He has a ResMed Mirage Activa LT mask and a REMstar Pro M series machine. Neither DH or I know his pressure setting (he was diagnosed with severe apnea and I recall at the pressure number seemed high to me but don't recall the setting).
I sleep with my back to him, now with two pillows stacked between us since this noise issue began, and I sleep facing my air filter/white noise machine (I keep it on my side of the king sized bed). He changes positions from one side to the other at various times during the night. I am a midwife, so work odd hours and have to be able to hear my phone at night if someone goes into labor, so earplugs aren't a great option for me (plus I haven't found them effective or comfortable in the past). I am mid-forties, so am fast approaching menopause...I know I sleep lighter in the second half of the night which is not going to get better over the next few years, sadly.
Sleepster, I am going to have him change out the entire mask, hose, and head gear, and ask him about changing the machine filter, too!! I am also going to have him change to a different pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KJHC,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try to get new mask, hose and filter to start out with. Regular cleaning would help, also.
I soak my hose, mask, and humidifier once a week in warm, mild, soapy water; I use Ivory dish soap. I also try to take a CPAP wipe and wipe my mask every morning when I get up. Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI? On my mask, if I set the humidity a touch too high, condensation gathers at the vent holes and my mask starts to 'whistle' every time I exhale. Which bugs my lovely wife to no end (I don't hear it) - LOL

Might it be something that simple? Or a hairline crack in the mask?

I would first swap to a different mask and see if that changes the sound? If yes, you found the cause. If no, you then know it's the hose and/or the machine itself. Swap the hose next, and follow the drill.

Moving the machine below the height of the bed may be a help as well.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2014, 10:51 AM)KJHC Wrote: Thanks for the replies. I updated a few things on my profile. He has a ResMed Mirage Activa LT mask and a REMstar Pro M series machine.
Activa LT is a nasal mask, only cover the nose (not full face mask as in profile, full face mask cover nose and mouth)

I use Activa LT as well, the vents are extremely quiet and the only way to hear or feel anything, you,ll have put your hand in front of the vents
I assume the noise is from mask leak or/and mouth leak, mask not fitted correctly, cushion worn out or wrong size cushion used.
Chinstrap worn over the mask might an idea, helps keeps mouth closed and mask in place
The LT cushion very flexible maintain a good seal even moving from side to side.

The clinical manual is available by direct download ... section two
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

btw, do you have insurance and how long since you had this machine?

Post Reply Post Reply

[/quote]
Activa LT is a nasal mask, only cover the nose (not full face mask as in profile
btw, do you have insurance and how long since you had this machine?
[/quote]

Profile fixed, thanks.
He does have insurance, and I believe he has had this machine for five years. To clarify, the machine isn't making any new noise, just the mask, which my husband insists has a good seal.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2014, 08:56 PM)KJHC Wrote: He does have insurance, and I believe he has had this machine for five years.
From what I gather, insurance replace machines every 5 years, might as well get a new machine. Machines have improved a great deal in the last 3 years. Machine Choices http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,257 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 594 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 Noise tblaster 4 344 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.