Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New or 2ndhand ResMed APAP advice (S8 or Airsense 10)
RE: New or 2ndhand ResMed APAP advice (S8 or Airsense 10)
(03-11-2020, 07:54 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: ...Starting points are probably according to titration guidelines...

And if it makes you feel more comfortable about taking on the task of self setup, wear a white jacket while doing so.

Coffee

There's a few terminologies I have to read up on, like Titration, and a few others I see mentioned on this forum. 
If I'd known, I'd stuck an SD card in the trial machine; heck, I've no idea if it had one in there already. The clinician mentioned the pressure during the trial was generally between 7 and 11, that is a starting point. 

While there's plenty of time to figure out the machine when I get that far, my sleep study gave an AHI of 31/hr (no idea what AHI is, but apparently apneas per hour), 58/hr supine, 20/hr in REM. The next part I don't get too much of, except it has to do with oxygen intake: "Obstructive events were apnoeic and hypopnoeic in type and were associated with an average oxyhemoglobin desaturation of 6% with a nadir saturation of 62%. Average saturation was 91%". From that I get the obstruction caused a low of 62% oxygen uptake with an average of 91%. I didn't sleep well the night of the study. The conclusion was severe obstructive sleep apnoea. During the trial, the events decreased to between 0.1 and 0.5 events an hour, and my wife reported no snoring or restlessness. So I know the machine works well once set up.

As I don't have a white lab coat, I'll wear my white Star Wars T-Shirt, I think. I have a clipboard somewhere, too. And I have a pack of surgical masks, if it'll help.

By now, I just want to stop worrying about where to get a machine and how much, I just want to get going. My wife would appreciate that too, I'm a loud snorer.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the unfamiliar terms (this is like a whole new language) check out the Apnea Board Glossary.

AHI = apnea hypopnea index. An apnea is when you stop breathing for 10 seconds or more. An hypopnea is when your breathing is severely reduced for 10 seconds or more. The index is the total number of events divided by the number of hours. So if you had an AHI of 30 and slept for 8 hours, it's like being strangled 240 times during the night. Shock

I don't know a lot about the oxygen concentration but the general consensus seems to be that above 90% is OK, below 80% is bad. At 62% you should probably be on your way to the emergency department!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2020, 09:41 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: For the unfamiliar terms (this is like a whole new language) check out the Apnea Board Glossary.

AHI = apnea hypopnea index. An apnea is when you stop breathing for 10 seconds or more. An hypopnea is when your breathing is severely reduced for 10 seconds or more. The index is the total number of events divided by the number of hours. So if you had an AHI of 30 and slept for 8 hours, it's like being strangled 240 times during the night. Shock

I don't know a lot about the oxygen concentration but the general consensus seems to be that above 90% is OK, below 80% is bad. At 62% you should probably be on your way to the emergency department!

All the more reason to get this sorted quickly now I'm aware and know what I need. My wife reckons it's gotten worse in recent years, though I do remember as a kid waking up in a panic because I had trouble breathing. My dad has always been the same, heavy snorer (like his dad, he's also a large man; my diet is a lot better controlled these days). When he was in the army, he could keep the barracks up.
I have a habit of sleeping on my side, which I expect helps, but I also stay up late so I am tired and can go to sleep, and tend not to get much more than 5 hrs of sleep of late. It's 2am here now. 
Thanks for the link, I figured there was a glossary somewhere.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would suggest that you post the OSCAR nightly charts so we can see what is happening and allow us to verify from your use that this machine, and not a higher level one such as a biLevel or an ASV.  We can also suggest settings changes such that within no more than a few days to likely have your therapy optimized.

We rarely get a chance to see the output from a machine prior to 'purchase'.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2020, 01:54 PM)bonjour Wrote: I would suggest that you post the OSCAR nightly charts so we can see what is happening and allow us to verify from your use that this machine, and not a higher level one such as a biLevel or an ASV.  We can also suggest settings changes such that within no more than a few days to likely have your therapy optimized.

We rarely get a chance to see the output from a machine prior to 'purchase'.

I would think most people when they are diagnosed and run a trial don't know anything about the machine, let alone the condition, unless they have relatives or friends with the condition. My dad has sleep apnea, but haven't read up on it before beyond the superficial. But I am confident from the trial it is the right device, it reduced the number down to 0.5 or less, the MyAir app said the same, and my wife says I didn't snore or thrash about. Before that I rarely remember having dreams. The machine was quiet, and the minimal nasal pillow mask was sufficient with a good seal. That's all I could ask for.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's awesome, I'm glad you have minimal Flow Limits and RERAs which typically do not show up in AHI. Yes .5 is a great number and even before your post I figured the AutoSet was likely the correct machine for you with a less than 1% chance it wasn't.
Post Reply Post Reply
The most important thing for you is that you have come to this forum (which I did in 2015 because I was struggling with the therapy). The knowledge base on this forum is far in excess of what any sleep technician can tell you and it's free!

Now that you've decided to go with an Aussie supplier, get your machine, plug it in and then go to the next (and most important) part of the process which is choosing the best mask for you. As a side sleeper you might enjoy a nasal mask or nasal pillow as opposed to a full face. Two masks stand out for me. One is the Dreamwear from Respironics or the N30i/P30i from Resmed. They both have cushions (sits under your nose) and pillows (they insert very slightly into your nose). They both have a top mounted hose and would be the the least minimally invasive of the masks. There are many other options which I'm sure others will comment on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2020, 02:27 AM)holden4th Wrote: The most important thing for you is that you have come to this forum (which I did in 2015 because I was struggling with the therapy). The knowledge base on this forum is far in excess of what any sleep technician can tell you and it's free!

Now that you've decided to go with an Aussie supplier, get your machine, plug it in and then go to the next (and most important) part of the process which is choosing the best mask for you. As a side sleeper you might enjoy a nasal mask or nasal pillow as opposed to a full face. Two masks stand out for me. One is the Dreamwear from Respironics or the N30i/P30i from Resmed. They both have cushions (sits under your nose) and pillows (they insert very slightly into your nose). They both have a top mounted hose and would be the the least minimally invasive of the masks. There are many other options which I'm sure others will comment on.

My trial was with the ResMed p10 nasal pillows mask, since it was the smallest one, and because I have a beard which might affect the seal, with an option to change to a different one if it didn't work out. As it happens, it worked perfectly well, the machine reported good seal all night, I obviously don't open my mouth, and I tend to sleep on my side. At first, I slept on my back because it was new and worried of entanglement, but I've since worked out to have the hose go up over the bedhead so there is no pull, and it works out on my side. I've seen the one with the hose at the back online, but I've never tried it. I don't know the different types (N/P30 or others). That part, choosing a mask, is confusing as it is like shoes, you gotta try them on, and that's tricky in this situation. So my thinking was to stick with what I know works, the p10 nasal pillows mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's nothing wrong with choosing what you're used to on the P10. It's still a very good mask for lots of AB members. Best wishes your therapy does excellent.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2020, 04:46 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: There's nothing wrong with choosing what you're used to on the P10. It's still a very good mask for lots of AB members. Best wishes your therapy does excellent.

Coffee

Well, only used to as far as it's the only thing I've tried for the month. Trouble is, it's not like a clothes shop where you can go in for a fitting, due to hygiene, esp now in the age of pandemics. I might've been able to ask for a different mask during the trial, but I frankly handn't researched what was available, he showed the larger nasal one and full-face ones, I preferred small and minimal.

Of ppl here who have tried both, the regular pillow mask and the behind-the-head one, the N/P30, which do they prefer? And what's the difference between N and P models?

PS: I've noticed that some ppl use a mask from a different supplier, say Phillips, so they fit across brands?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 492 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,829 5 hours ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 302 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,843 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 180 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 89 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.