Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New to CPAP: Struggling with humidity and condensation
Question 
New to CPAP: Struggling with humidity and condensation
Hey all,

I had posted this out on another resource before however I wasn't really getting any answers that I expected or could work with at the time. I'm new to CPAP, and have been using it for a little over 3 weeks now. I don't know, am I one of the lucky ones? I was provided with a Resmed Airsense 11. We went with the full sleeping mask, since I wasn't able to answer the doctors question of if I sleep with my mouth open. I suppose sometimes I do as I would wake up with a dry mouth before hand.

Before getting into it, a listing about my variables here:
  • Room temp @ night: 67F
  • Ambient Humidity: ~10%
  • Fan: Blowing on me / machine
  • Mask: Airfit F20 M
  • Machine Position: On floor next to bed
  • Tube: ClimateLine temperature controlled tube
  • Cover: Yes
  • Sleep/Wake Time: ~1230am/7am
If I had forgotten anything please let me know. So, the past few weeks have definitely been a struggle. The first night using the machine I learned what rainout was. Almost every night since then after about ~3-4 hours, I wake up in the middle of the night, and my first instinct is to usually remove the device so that I can get some semblance of sleep. I'm trying to fight this urge. I also had issues with mask comfort, marks, etc. I did attempt to use a mask cover, however I suffered from major leakage issues at that point so I stopped using it and would suffer with the mask marks. 

The one struggle that I haven't been able to find a way out of is the condensation in the tube. I'm trying to find if my situation is normal, and what can be done about it that doesn't sacrifice my comfort. I have been attempting to set the humidity to 4, and every temperature increment that I bump it up to still hasn't alleviated the condensation in the tube. I know that on Sunday's session the humidity was 4, the temperature was 76, and I distinctly remember feeling something like a water droplet hit my face either when or shortly after I had woken up while wearing the mask. On Monday's session, I tried to jack the tube temperature up to 80 (based on some recommendations), and this is just not comfortable. On some nights, there's moisture in the tube and also in the exhale port of the mask to the point it makes a gurgling sound when trying to breathe, which also wakes me up.

Why is this more of an issue: Last night to try to sleep, I lowered the temperature  to 72, and the humidity to 3. My throat is closer to the dryer side of things. I had a headache when waking up. I didn't feel very rested upon waking up either and just generally don't feel comfortable right now. So I definitely feel like I need more humidity, but not at the sacrifice of waking up and getting rainout or condensation issues. I've heard of other people using 6+ for their humidity and I can't even fathom the amount of condensation I would get for that. I know my next option is to try to keep this covered, heated hose under the blanket with me which is difficult when the weight of the thing causes it to fall back on the floor.

I have some questions regarding this:

1. Is what I'm experiencing with my variables normal, or is something wrong?
  2. Is there anything else that I can do to improve this without sacrificing other comfort? (such as raising room temp significantly, shutting off fan)
  3. Could it be that my Climateline hose is defective?
Thanks. I'm at wits end here and I really need CPAP therapy to work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP: Struggling with humidity and condensation
Let's solve the rain-out first. You need to change your climate settings to Manual so you can separately control humidity and tube temperature. Set the humidity to a setting of 4 and the tube temperature to 80*F. You said this was not comfortable, but if you reduce temperature you will also need to reduce the humidity setting. You have a cover for the tube, be sure it fits over the entire tube including any mask extension. I use a Snugglehose cover which covers from the machine to the mask. Finally, use a hose hanger to route the tube upward from the machine, then back down to you. I use a lanyard looped around the tube and hung from my headboard, but any arrangement that works for you and allows condensation to run back into the machine will improve your results. If you do not know how to access settings, ask for a clinical manual https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...manual#ASK
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP: Struggling with humidity and condensation
(12-15-2021, 09:59 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Let's solve the rain-out first.  You need to change your climate  settings to Manual so you can separately control humidity and tube temperature.  Set the humidity to a setting of 4 and the tube temperature to 80*F.  You said this was not comfortable, but if you reduce temperature you will also need to reduce the humidity setting.  You have a cover for the tube, be sure it fits over the entire tube including any mask extension.  I use a Snugglehose cover which covers from the machine to the mask.  Finally, use a hose hanger to route the tube upward from the machine, then back down to you. I use a lanyard looped around the tube and hung from my headboard, but any arrangement that works for you and allows condensation to run back into the machine will improve your results.  If you do not know how to access settings, ask for a clinical manual ...

SleepRider, as you pointed out I already have my settings in manual. Anything above 76F was uncomfortable for me which is causing the rainout. I do use that term loosely because I'm not always getting water in my face, more so just condensation in the hose. I'm already using a cover for the hose (Resmed 33963 Tubing Wrap). At best I may be able to loop the hose through my nightstand, but considering 90% of the hose is on the floor I'm not sure how much more it would help. It sounds like it'll mean that there will be a length of hose closer to me that will retain the condensation as opposed to being further down the line? I know in my other source, there was a user who explained that he was shocked I have anything less than 6 for humidity... 

That's why I don't know which of my "variables" is different that I'm having humidity issues at such low humidity. I want to be able to find a way to increase, and that's why I'm also not sure if maybe my hose is in fact defective, or if this is expected and I need to do something like raise the temperature of the room (which I dread). I could put a space heater by the machine too if need be, but I don't know if that would be worthwhile.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 65 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 9 271 03-22-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 223 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 197 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 908 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
  BiPap Newbie - struggling McMartin 6 368 02-01-2024, 10:37 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.