Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New to CPAP - Where Do I Start?
RE: New to CPAP - Where Do I Start?
(12-17-2012, 04:20 PM)USKiwi Wrote: Thanks Thank you for all your replies. I got the call from the DME this afternoon and I blasted them with questions. I have an appointment for next week at their office. I found out my insurance covers 100%. I looked on the DME website and they do have the machines you have all recommended and the customer service rep says I have the choice of machine and equipment up to $1500 covered by insurance and any more I pay myself. Now its time to do research Coffee

It's very likely they're trying to screw you.

Normally, if the DME is "in network," they're required to provide you a CPAP machine at a fixed price and CANNOT charge you more no matter what machine they dispense, per their contract with the insurance company. However, they do not have to give you a machine better than the minimum machine required to fill your prescription.

Some insurance companies do it differently.

Find out from your insurance which local DMEs are "in network" for your insurance. You get to choose the DME, not your doctor. If DME #1 won't give you a good machine, call DME #2 and let them know you're shopping around.

Read all the stuff here: http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/what-yo...me-part-i/
and
http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go check for yourself.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2012, 06:58 PM)archangle Wrote: It's very likely they're trying to screw you.

C'mon. Up to $1500 for a CPAP! That sounds like a sweet deal to me. Unless, that is, they are marking their prices WAY up.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2012, 07:29 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(12-19-2012, 06:58 PM)archangle Wrote: It's very likely they're trying to screw you.

C'mon. Up to $1500 for a CPAP! That sounds like a sweet deal to me. Unless, that is, they are marking their prices WAY up.
USKiwi wrote: I have the choice of machine and equipment up to $1500 covered by insurance and any more I pay myself
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2012, 07:29 PM)Sleepster Wrote:

Lots of DMEs charge a lot more than $1500 for a CPAP. Especially their "fantasy" billing price before insurance knocks it down to a negotiated price.

Then 2x the online price for the humidifier and mask.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Happy New Year. I got my CPAP machine. I have the ResMed S9 Elite. I'm still getting used to it. Last night was the first night that I didn't have problems falling asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2013, 10:13 AM)USKiwi Wrote: Happy New Year. I got my CPAP machine. I have the ResMed S9 Elite.

Congrats! Make sure you enter your new machine info in your profile, click HERE to update, then make sure and hit "Update Profile" at the bottom of the screen.

After a few days, let us know how you like the S9 Elite!

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,276 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,183 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby
  DreamStation Auto Initial Start-up WilliamZ 3 503 09-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Should I start CPAP? brianstermat09 3 513 08-24-2023, 04:00 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  [CPAP] Hoping to find a fix for my CPAP's decision to start blasting me while inhaling. Speusippus 1 456 08-14-2023, 07:41 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  How should I start sleep2023 8 901 07-03-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: sleep2023
  Sorry to start new thread but need nap Morgannon 148 6,627 06-04-2023, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.