Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New to CPAP and figuring out how to begin while waiting for consult/tests
RE: New to CPAP and figuring out how to begin while waiting for consult/tests
We would need you to zoom in on the flow rate to comment on the flow a 2 minute section but bare in mind awake breathing is more irregular than asleep breathing and the flow rate graph is just that a graph of your breath flow.

Your numbers look very good and nothing jumps out at me that needs fixing with an AHI of less than 2 you need to be critically assessing how you feel
Post Reply Post Reply
Any pressure changes correlate to spikes in flow limitation, and in one case hypopnea. This is typical behavior for Resmed and is a part of the Autoset / Vauto algorithm.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey all.

The main reason my sleep doctor wanted me to try a CPAP was to wait and see if I had a gasping episode where I wake up alarmed and sit up to catch my breath, and that way I could mark the time and compare it to OSCAR data to see if there is any correlation.

Well, that finally happened last night. I went to sleep, and within the hour woke up jolting up/gasping and wrote down the time, and it seems to match up exactly timing wise with the "clear airway" event in the images provided.

Wondering what this event means from OSCAR. I am well aware my data doesn't show a constant apnea throughout the night, the idea was to see if a CPAP could eliminate my random gasping episodes, even if they are more individual and not constant, because they are just so unpleasant and fairly regular in my life now, and some nights worse than others.

Some reading has told me it potentially points to a central sleep apnea that occurs long enough to wake me? My question is, if so, what settings could I change or improve on the ResMed S9 to see if I can remove the events from happening entirely with the help of the CPAP. Would that be raising the min and max pressure, or changing the EPR, etc?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
If your machine is equal to a VAuto, then PS and not EPR applies. And if it's CA you're dealing with, then you'd need to lessen or minimize pressure swings, possibly by lowering PS.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2020, 08:06 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: If your machine is equal to a VAuto, then PS and not EPR applies. And if it's CA you're dealing with, then you'd need to lessen or minimize pressure swings, possibly by lowering PS.

Ah ok, thanks Dave, yeah it's in VAuto mode, I must have got mixed up because I saw you can switch it to CPAP mode if desired, my PS is currently 3.0, so I'll try lowering it further and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your results are excellent and a change in settings would not normally be recommended. The event you highlight is of minimal duration, and seems to have precipitated from a single irregular breath. I can't speculate what might have caused that, but the idea we can manage such a small isolated event through settings is unrealistic. If you want to try other settings that's fine, but I would keep the changes small (0.2-0.4 cm).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2020, 08:45 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your results are excellent and a change in settings would not normally be recommended.  The event you highlight is of minimal duration, and seems to have precipitated from a single irregular breath.  I can't speculate what might have caused that, but the idea we can manage such a small isolated event through settings is unrealistic.  If you want to try other settings that's fine, but I would keep the changes small (0.2-0.4 cm).

Ugh, I guess this begs a couple questions for myself or health in general then. 

I clearly don't seem to be showing any apnea issue from what experienced users can see here on OSCAR data, and yet these small, isolated events still continue to launch me upwards in bed out of sleep and have me catching my breath several times a week. Is that a thing? People without apnea who experience oxygen drops where their body wakes them up but don't have consistent events? As in it doesn't happen throughout the night to be diagnosed, but in the few isolated times it does happen, it hits really hard? I tend to think if I wasn't waking up abruptly and catching breath I probably wouldn't really care about the events.

I am wondering what else it could be outside of an apnea issue, or if the reality is I have to accept my "normal" from now on is going to be sporadically gasping out of sleep regularly, which is just hard for me to accept as healthy because they are so darn stressful and not fun to experience. That being said, it seems that may be the only option. It also felt like the best direct correlation for my high hemoglobin from my hematologist, but perhaps that is unrelated after all. 

Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps, you could obtain a recording oximeter and see if oxygen levels really are the root cause. There are some threads currently on the Wellvue Ring and a discount code that make that unit look pretty nice. Anyway, it will show your SpO2 and pulse rate and help you learn if it relates to anything else.

Let me explain further. This event has evenly spaced, unrestricted breathing before and after the CA event. Both sides look like you're sleeping. There is no change in volume or rate of respiration. It just doesn't add up to the arousal you are describing. The full night graph does have something at 00:00 that might deserve a closer look.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=27707]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2020, 03:40 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Perhaps, you could obtain a recording oximeter and see if oxygen levels really are the root cause.  There are some threads currently on the Wellvue Ring and a discount code that make that unit look pretty nice.  Anyway, it will show your SpO2 and pulse rate and help you learn if it relates to anything else.  

Let me explain further. This event has evenly spaced, unrestricted breathing before and after the CA event. Both sides look like you're sleeping. There is no change in volume or rate of respiration.  It just doesn't add up to the arousal you are describing.  The full night graph does have something at 00:00 that might deserve a closer look.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=27707]

Ahh, good point, I may have just correlated by looking at ballpark range of how long I was asleep and when I remembered the wake up gasp happening. Maybe the 0:00 part is where it happened, not sure.

I did attach a more close image on the chart at that time code you mentioned, but yeah, that makes sense, if the gasping that happened I would have probably seen a spike after that flat line I'm guessing.

Thanks for your advice. That oximeter ring sounds like a great idea and worth it to rule out the O2 at this point.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Check out what happens to your leak rate at the moment of that event. I think you may find the source of your problem. At some point between the CA event and 00:00 your leak rate went right to the edge of a large leak. I'm looking at 4 minutes of large leak before your arousal and gasping.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help figuring out why symptoms are back Jess2117 1 334 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Need help optimizing and figuring out data variability please fert 8 537 01-21-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: fert
Wink Need help figuring out why severe sleep fragmentation from 3-7 am even on autopap HMG7450 2 569 08-14-2023, 04:38 AM
Last Post: sleep2023
  Waiting for ResMed S11 AirCurve ASV jerrydaw 17 7,557 05-18-2023, 08:02 PM
Last Post: SimbaLion
  I really need help figuring out my settings. Please help!! madamsleepsalot 2 658 12-08-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Brazen
  Tried CPAP while waiting for sleep study, need help to understand OSCAR results jovaton 3 734 11-15-2022, 12:04 PM
Last Post: jovaton
  In DME waiting queue for months. Is the Resmed AS11 the one to get? cpaplvr 5 707 09-26-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: withtao

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.