Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New to CPAP and quick questions
New to CPAP and quick questions
Im new to CPAP (1 month) and I keep taking it off.  I had one night out of the last month where I kept it on all night.  I started with an Airfit F30 and because of my beard I had to really have it tight to limit the leaks.  They then set me up with a Airfit N30i and a chin strap.  I manage to take that off between 1.5 to 2.5 hours into the night.  I loaded up OSCAR and a SD card to get the data and it seems that right about when the pressure gets to 10 I pull it.  I only have about 4-5 nights of real data so I need more data to be sure of that.  I have tried tape but after a few days I learned how to take tape out of my beard and remove the mask without fully waking up. 

Im an engineer during the day and a amateur radio operator at night so I was thinking I can engineer my solution Cool .  Since the more current that goes though the power cord for the Restmed 10 the more the magnetic field it generates. All I need to do is read that magnetic field that the power cable is generating and if it drops below a certain point then the machine has turned off because i removed my mask.  Have a small microprocessor detect this and sound an alarm clock like sound.  I have a prototype that works but before I go into the trouble of making a PCB and making it look nice is there something that already does something like sound an alarm when I take it off?

Thanks
Brad
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP and quick questions
Welcome to  the forum. with more data we may be able to help you adjust your machine for greater comfort as well as effective therapy. Please complete your profile with the model of your Resmed (the model is printed on the lower right fron tadjacent to the ware chamber), make and m0odel of mask (Airfit N30i?), and pressure settings. (Click on user CP at the top of this page, click on edit profile on the left of the next screen, and fill in the blanks.

myAir doesn't provide much useful information. I suggest you download the free OSCAR software and post data here. (See the links below)

If you have a copy of your sleep study post it here with you personal information redacted. If tou dn't have a copy you should get on from your doctor. If you know your sleep study AHI please post it as well as the AHI reading from your Resmed.

It's good that you want to get the mask back on but a better goal will be to increase your comfort level so that you don't remove it. That partially may be a natural process of adaptation but optimized machine settings will probably help.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I do have OSCAR just not that much data yet. I updated my profile more with up to date information as I probably quickly entered it when I downloaded Oscar.

I would assume keeping the mask on and putting it back on will help with the adjustment period. But I dont know if I can change my pressure settings. I got this machine from my doctor with the setting already programmed in and they grab reports from it via a cell network that it has. They call me if my leak is too much so they can make sure my mask is fitting correctly so I’m betting they can see if I go play “doctor” with my pressure settings right?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can change your settings. It's your choice if you do it or you have your doctor do it. Either way you should know and understand your apnea. This is what OSCAR allows to happen.
Download OSCAR and post your daily charts. We will review and tell you what we think and most importantly why. You can choose to
Implement our suggestions yourself
Ask your doctor about what we suggested or
Ignore us completely

Your choice
Post Reply Post Reply
Attached are my reports.  Sorry about the randomness of them I forgot to put the card in last week.

Unrelated bonjour I see that your a project manager for OSCAR.  If I may make a suggestion, make the linux executable that's installed with the .deb package all lower case to fit in with the generally accepted standard on everything lowercase in linux. 

Thank you all for taking the time to review my data.
Post Reply Post Reply
This data looks pretty good. The N30i seems to be leaking a lot. Have you tried the P30i?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2019, 11:03 AM)macheta Wrote: This data looks pretty good. The N30i seems to be leaking a lot. Have you tried the P30i?

All of the leaks are less than the large leak rate of 24l/m unless the leaks are causing wake ups I would not be concerned
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you still taking your mask off? Do you have an interest in fine-tuning your settings? More generally, how are things going for you?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 152 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 269 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
Question OSCAR Privacy and quick upload Fix? EasySleep 3 101 03-18-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: EasySleep
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 580 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.