Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New to CPAP and struggling - feels like my breathing gets "cut off" by the machine
RE: New to CPAP and struggling - feels like my breathing gets "cut off" by the machine
Thanks for all of your help Smile

I've found a retailer near me who will rent the ResMed machine on a week-by-week basis, so if my current sleep clinic don't offer it, I'll still be able to try it out to see how it goes.

In the meantime, I've adjusted my flex settings to C-Flex 1, which seems to be a bit more tolerable - I still wasn't able to actually fall/stay asleep while using it, but at least I didn't get jolted awake feeling like I couldn't breathe, so hopefully now it's just a matter of getting used to using a CPAP machine in general. 

I'll post back again once I've been able to try the ResMed machine with how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to CPAP and struggling - feels like my breathing gets "cut off" by the machine
I found this on another post and thought you might be interested.

RE: buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia.
(08-19-2020, 05:48 AM)
Supplier #2 (top black ribbon shopping cart) on this site has a slightly used ResMed S10 AirSense AutoSet with EPR and Integrated Heated Humidifier - ClimatelineAir Tubing IncludedResMed S10 AirSense AutoSet with EPR and Integrated Heated Humidifier - ClimatelineAir Tubing Included for 398 and new for 539 US $. I think they will ship it anywhere. I bought there and save over 1000. Great service and price.

I can certainly recommend Supplier #2, I'm in Victoria Australia and have bought my last 2 Auto Cpap machines from them, excellent to deal with and most helpful with any queries you may have. Both machines were bought from their "gently used" range and have worked perfectly since I purchased them. Big $$$ savings on what the suppliers in Oz charge.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I managed to get my hands on the ResMed one, and... I managed to actually fall asleep!

Admittedly, only for about an hour and a half in total, and it probably took me about that long to actually fall asleep in the first place (I didn't use it when I first fell asleep because I was feeling unwell, but when I woke up around ~6am I put it on and tried to go back to sleep), but I didn't startle myself awake at any point while using the machine Smile

Nothing especially interesting on the graphs I don't think, it'll be interesting to see what the data looks like after a "proper" sleep rather than just an extended nap.

I'm using the ResMed AirFit N20 mask (i think), which certainly fits me better than the Eson 2 which was too big for me even with the smallest size. The mask isn't super comfortable so I might see if they have any other models available, I've tried the Philips Dreamwear one which sits under your nose rather than on top of it but found that breathing out was too painful/forceful on my ears with that style, so I think I'm probably going to stick with an over-nose one.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help so far, I'll report back once I've been able to use it for a full night...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
This looks very encouraging, and I assume it doesn't feel like you are out of sync with the machine. Your flow limits are completely gone and it looks especially good after 9:45. Good luck in your continued use of the Autoset.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get the Aircurve 10 Vauto. It is the one I have. For some reason, it's the only machine in which you can set the specific time you want to breathe in. I have mine set to 3 seconds breathe in. I take slow, deep, relaxing breaths that help me fall asleep fast. I have no idea why all machines don't have a simple setting like being able to set the times you want to breathe in and out. The standard setting before I changed it was 2 seconds breathe in and it felt like I was breathing way too fast and I couldn't sleep. Without the option of setting the specific time to breathe in, I wouldn't be able to use a cpap machine. My mom has the Airsense 10 and the settings are limited. If desired, the Aircurve 10 Vauto can be dumbed down to function like an Airsense 10.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,127 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 65 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 89 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 9 271 03-22-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 307 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 624 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.