Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Long time user new problem
Long time user new problem
Greetings Fellow Sleep Challenged People,

I stumbled across this forum while looking for instructions to my machine. I have it in my heaad that if I can lower my pressure setting I may be able to solve a recent problem of open-mouth syndrome that is driving me batty, I have for years (5-6) not had an issue sleeping with my machine and then all of a sudden in the past few nights I can't seem to keep my mouth closed and I think the pressure is a bit high, I must go home to check ( at work) but I had severe issues and a high setting ( I think 17 ) years ago, since then I have (just about ) quit smoking and I am now visiting the porcelain diety all night since I am drinking water like a buffalo all night because of my new found dry mouth. I welcome any input as I need to get some undisturbed sleep. By the way , Thank You, person who made this forum, lots of good info. I have not found a problem just like mine in the search so ....

Spog
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Long time user new problem
You need a chinstrap.

Mouth-leaking is not an indication that your pressure is too high.

If your pressure can be lowered without raising your AHI then by all means that's something to try. I don't know if your machine will measure your AHI, but if it doesn't and your machine is more than 5 years old you may be eligible for a new one.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
welcome to the forum
maybe the pressure need to be checked to make sure the machine deliver the correct pressure
you can buy a manometer or make your own as shown here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...=manometer

since when you changed mask cushion. are you using humidifier
with nasal mask, you need to keep mouth closed as therapy air escape thru the mouth, the loss of the therapy air causing airway to collapse and apnea. I find chinstrap is good solution for mouth leaks

remstar plus m listed in your profile is discounted basic machine ... doesn't tell you anything just hours used
if not insured, you can get a new or low hours used machine from Supplier #2 with some warranty
if wanted to stay with the same brand, they got used Phillips Respironcis System One Auto 550 with humidifier listed at $399

SleepyHead software support this machine so you can track your therapy
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,
and thanks for the replies,
my setting is at 13 not 17 ....hey I knew it was an odd number at least , lol
Not insured, but had not experienced this problem until a few nights ago. I made a makeshift chin strap for the night and will try it and give an update.
Once again Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Spog and WELCOME! to the forum.!
What everyone has said so far.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey SPOG.. welcome.
Take it out of your head that by lowering your pressure will allow you to sleep with your mouth closed. Lowering the pressure> MAY< allow you to sleep with your mouth closed BUT it will certainly allow for the greater possibility of increased apneas. The whole idea is to produce a high enough pressure to reduce all or most of the apneas that are producing a harmful (possibly dangerous) effect on the body. A pressure of 13 is unlikely to blow your mouth apart. A lot of air has been pumped down the airway in your last 5-6 years. Its time for change.. Get used to a chin-strap.. I see it in your future.

I'd leave the pressure at status-quo for awhile and see if using a chin strap doesn't help your situation of "open mouth". There are many on the market including self-made ones to try. Good Luck.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
If you make a homemade chin strap, keep in mind this rule: It is not to be so tight you cannot open your mouth while awake. To do other wise would be dangerous.

When we sleep, we relax. And in our relaxing, our jaw relaxes and our mouth opens. This happens more if you are sleeping inclined because gravity helps. Sleeping on your back will also contribute.

You want the chin strap tight enough that, when totally relaxed, your mouth does not open. But not so tight you cannot open it while awake.

How do you know you are opening your mouth at night? Spouse/bed partner say so? If not, dry mouth can be caused by a lot of different things.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2012, 07:38 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If you make a homemade chin strap, keep in mind this rule: It is not to be so tight you cannot open your mouth while awake. To do other wise would be dangerous.

I've found that it should be loose enough that taking a drink of water is still comfortable, but tight enough that it would be a bother to eat while wearing it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That makes sense. Good field test measurement!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Everyone !
I really appreciate the help, most honestly.
I did use a homemade chin strap last night and it did cut in half the number of times I was disturbed, much better! I am going to order a "real" chin strap on Monday, and make improvements as suggested on tightness here on the forum. The dry mouth issue was greatly reduced. I am now going to re-up the pressure back to 13 and try with improved strap situation again tonight. I am a believer in my machine, it has made a great and positive difference in my life.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 205 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,429 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,561 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 616 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 244 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 171 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 802 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.