Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New to Cpap need advice
Angry 
New to Cpap need advice
I am new to Cpap and need some advice. When I had the sleep study they started with a Resmed swift fx nasal pillow. I liked this but when I fell asleep my mouth would fall open so it did not work. Unfortunately tech did not try a chin strap. I ended up with a Resmed s9 escape pressure 14 and Resmed Quattro fx full face mask. After couple hours mask starts to leak mostly at bridge of nose and by morning mouth gets really dry. (humidifier setting 5 any higher I get rainout, no climateline.) First I have a chin strap ordered, think it may help dry mouth even with full face mask. I am thinking about getting a Resmed swift fx nasal pillow or Respironics Optilife nasal pillow and use with chin strap. Was told however that my pressure may be to high to use with a nasal pillow. If I have to stay with a Full face I am thinking either Resmed Mirage Quattro or Respironics Confort Gel Blue. Also would Climateline tubing be a good investment? Would a Cpap pillow help? I am a back/side sleeper. Any help would be appreciated. I do feel better with the Cpap and want this to work. At this point my insurance won't by more mask (was told they will by one every 3 months), So any purchase will be out of pocket which I am ok with, just want to invest my money wisely and where it will do the most good.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to Cpap need advice
Welcome

With the Quattro FX it's really important to make sure the mask cushion is squeaky clean and free of oil. It also helps to wash your face right before bed (I also shave at night now). If your getting leaks at the nose keep this in mind: sometimes it helps to loosen the bottom end of the mask a little rather than tighten the top part.

A lot of people prefer the nasal pillows or a nasal mask and use a chinstrap. The chin strap should help, but might take a little time to adjust and get used to. 14cm shouldn't be too high a pressure, but you can check the mask specs on the manufacturer websites and posters here that use nasal pillows or nasal masks can give suggestions.

As for the ClimateLine, I would strongly recommend it. I use one with my humidity set at 6 and hose temp. at 86 deg. and have never had rainout.

I'm not sure about the CPAP pillow. I use one that I got from an online supplier for a penny when I bought other stuff. It's OK, but I wouldn't have paid $30 or $50 for it.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lilfarm and WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you are having a rough time with CPAP therapy right now but don't give up. The mask is the most difficult part of this whole thing and can take lots of PATIENCE.
Hang tight for other suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Swift FX nasal pillows with an ipap pressure of 15 with no leak issues at all. I do not need to use a chin strap. Everybody is different, what works well for one may not work for everyone else.
Post Reply Post Reply
For what it's worth....

I'm using the Resmed Mirage Quattro, I know alot of people really like that mask, but no matter how hard I try I can't seem to stop the leaks once the pressure hits around 15 or more.

I've tried a nasal mask with a chin strap but didn't really have much luck. Even though my mouth would stay closed, somehow I kept blowing little puffs of air out of the corner of my mouth.

I think I may try a hybrid.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2012, 11:03 AM)lilfarm Wrote: I ended up with a Resmed s9 escape pressure 14 and Resmed Quattro fx full face mask.
escape from the escape, you don,t want stuck with this brick for the next 5 years
the escape model shows no efficacy data just hours used and no mask fit feature
see your sleep doctor asap to help you replacing machine with data capable machine S9 autoset or S9 elite (no escape or escape auto)
otherwise you and the doc would have no clue hows the therapy is working
find out about your insurance replacement schedule and ask your DME about the 30 days mask return policy so you can return the mask and try another till you find the right one. everyone is different ... the best mask is the one works best for you
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the FX with Bella hoops and chin strap. After much frustration with my chin strap, I've discovered if I put on my chin strap before my mask Im able to wear it all night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2012, 09:16 PM)Utsarah Wrote: I use the FX with Bella hoops and chin strap. After much frustration with my chin strap, I've discovered if I put on my chin strap before my mask Im able to wear it all night.

What the heck are Bella Hoops??
Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2012, 09:27 AM)Bompa Wrote: What the heck are Bella Hoops??
Huhsign

Sarah was probably referring to Bella Headgear Loops... Those are the loops that go around the ears, like this:

[Image: bella-swift-fx-for-her-zoom_add8.jpg]
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2012, 09:27 AM)Bompa Wrote:
(12-10-2012, 09:16 PM)Utsarah Wrote: I use the FX with Bella hoops and chin strap. After much frustration with my chin strap, I've discovered if I put on my chin strap before my mask Im able to wear it all night.

What the heck are Bella Hoops??Huhsign

She means "Bella loops," I am sure. They are an alternate headgear for the Swift FX. Instead of going around the back of the head like most headgear, they are just slim little elastic loops that wrap around the ears. Very minimal, thus very comfortable. They are marketed as "for her" headgear, but my supplier had no issues with selling them to me. :grin: I'd still be using them with my Swift FX if I could have overcome the unacceptable leaks.

Since they are just part of a mask and not the whole thing a prescription is not required, so you can frequently find them cheaply on eBay.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 277 1 hour ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 860 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,794 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 78 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 797 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.