Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New to all this, trying to make sense and better my treatment
RE: New to all this, trying to make sense and better my treatment
Set the min to 8, and put a rubber band on the hose, lookin forward to tonight.

Not sure what EPR is though didn't notice a setting for that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Im back after a good nights sleep. The rubber band trick worked wonderfully; it appears I had very few Leaks compared to previous nights

Here is my OSCAR reading from last night as well as a PDF report available at the link below. Any other screenshots or suggestions? 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing

On top of all of this I had a cardioversion yesterday to get my heart back into normal rhythm (Persistent AFIB). 1st time dealing with that, and they suggested Sleep apnea (and not using my CPAP) was a possible reason that I got AFIB.

I am open to any tweaks you all might still suggest, but also at what point do you begin fiddling with things again, once oyu hit an aHI of .xx or higher? or every few months? Is ther a routine or threshold you look for?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
EPR the the pressure relief on exhale and can be se to 1, 2, or 3 cmH2O. Your setting is EPR level of 3 cmH2O. Your results show that obstructive apneas are suppressed over a wide range of pressures but flow limits are high and driving the pressure changes. Some of us find that reducing flow limits improves the quality of sleep and as long as the obstructive apneas are under control you will benefit from running at a fixed pressure level. The challenge is to find the combination of fixed pressure and EPR level that results a minimum value of 99.5% flow limit (less than 0.20 if possible). In other words you should titrate on flow limit not AHI once the number of obstructive apnea is as low as you are reporting.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Grandpapa-G that you might benefit from a more static pressure.

You're  not showing any Obstructives, or apnea at all, although the Flow Limitations are high even with using the highest EPR setting.  

I'd like to see the pressure graph not so crazy up and down, which is due to FL raising pressure.  Also the few leaks are suspect too.  

If you would like to try it, stay in Auto Mode, and set your minimum and maximum pressure to 8 - 8cm.  Staying in auto mode with a static pressure will help us see the Flow Limitations.  Keep EPR at 3.

Repost after a night or two.  If we see Obstructives, then we up the pressure slowly.

Let us know what you think.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK I have set my min and max to 8.0 so if I understand this right I will basically be at a static pressure of 8 all night? Just curious is there a reason oyu are honing in on the number 8 was something prevalent in my numbers that highlighted #8?

Also I noticed I have "Mode" set to auto but I could also set that to "CPAP" if that matters. 

I have also posted my sleep report from last night, I am curious what the blue 9h22m means, I get thats how long my session was but usually the color of my session is yellow and I see a tiny sliver of the yellow on there. I understand it means my sessions but is there any meaning to the blue and the yellow, just curious why the bigger number is usually yellow.

Thanks again to everyone!

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my readout from last night with the 8-8 setting looks like an AHI of 2.6. Do you suggest changing anything or giving this another night at these settings?

Post Reply Post Reply
The color markers on the flow rate chart show the locations of the various apnea events (dark blue for hypopnea, purple for CA, yellow for RERA). The reason for choosing an initial pressure of 8 is that it seems clear from your date that this pressure, and any pressure above it are effective at preventing apneas.

I would also suggest that, for privacy you edit your profile to replace your real name with your username as appears at the top left corner of all your posted screen shots.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleeplessNSeattle  -  To remove your username, go to View ⇾ Show Personal Data and deselect it.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2022, 11:53 AM)SleeplessNSeattle Wrote: Also I noticed I have "Mode" set to auto but I could also set that to "CPAP" if that matters. 

In Cpap mode, you won't see FL on the A10. So by using Apap mode, with min and max pressure the same, we can see FL, otherwise no difference.

Also, are you referring to the colored session bars at the bottom of statistics?  I don't know the significance of the colored session bars, except to separate the session times.  It looks like you had your machine on for a short time at the beginning of the night for approximately 15 minutes, then turned it off... thus starting another session for
9:22 hrs. which equal a total sleep time of 9:37 hrs.

I'm not too worried over the Obstructives in the early morning hours as you may have been awake. The clump of hypopnea around 1:00 am looks positional, maybe tucking your chin or rolling onto your back.

I would recommend moving your pressure to 8.4 - 8.4 (small increase) to see if FL will drop more. FL is treated by using EPR, which you are already doing.

Hope I didn't confuse you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to everyone so far for the suggestions especially the name part, I'll do that moving forward, thankfully my name is common enough that I'm not super worried about privacy, I can't even find myself with Google lol.

So do you all suggest another night with the 8-8 setting or moving either one. I don't know if the jump in AHIs is a concern.

Also yes I was curious about the blue and yellow bars at the bottom left of the screen and was just curious the significance of the blue vs yellow.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 39 10 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 210 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 278 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,326 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.