Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New to cpap - what do I need to know?
RE: New to cpap - what do I need to know?
Wanted to toss this in also. Mask is half or more of the battle. Get one that works for you and its not hard to get used to this stuff. Get one that doenst and its nigh to impossible. Any cpap mask will work with cpap machines from FFM to pillows.

The DME likely wont have alot of masks to try but enough to get an idea if ffm or nasal mask or pillows works better for you. They can trial the mask in your first 90 days. So if one doesnt work take it back and tell them to get whatever it is that you think will work for you.

Knowledge is power in this cpap game and if you dont have it trust the DME will take advantage of the fact that you dont.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I called to see what kind of cpap it was and it was the regular one. They have to order the "for her" one for me, so it might be another week before I can get it. I figured it was worth waiting for the one that shows me the respiratory events that don't quality for the AHI. (I think that's what the RERA is, right?)
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2015, 01:27 PM)kdmorris410 Wrote: So, I called to see what kind of cpap it was and it was the regular one. They have to order the "for her" one for me, so it might be another week before I can get it. I figured it was worth waiting for the one that shows me the respiratory events that don't quality for the AHI. (I think that's what the RERA is, right?)

Yep reras, flow limitations that dont flag as hyponeas OAs or CAs are counted in the RHI.

Most sleep labs and Docs dont pay much if any attention to Flow Limitations or Reras. Most titration labs dont either until they become hypopneas. Once they have the hypops and actual apneas cleared out that is your pressure as far as they are concerned. Rightly or wrongly.

RERAs will pretty much take care of themselves once apenas, hypops and flow limitations are controlled.

The Resmed for her machine does flag them as does the PRS1 machines.

Post Reply Post Reply
except in your case, and many on this board, that indicate how awfully horrible they feel, even though they have great numbers (AHI). 90% of these respondents have RedMed devices. I AM NOT BASHING RESMED DEVICES. But, many do not show RERA and I really think that is what is behind their feelings. So YES, please wait patiently for the "for Her" model. You will be glad you did.

By the way, I don't see much around that speaks to how to calm the RERAs. Just knowing you are being plagued by them in first step, then we can at least look for solutions.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2015, 07:19 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: except in your case, and many on this board, that indicate how awfully horrible they feel, even though they have great numbers (AHI). 90% of these respondents have RedMed devices. I AM NOT BASHING RESMED DEVICES. But, many do not show RERA and I really think that is what is behind their feelings. So YES, please wait patiently for the "for Her" model. You will be glad you did.

By the way, I don't see much around that speaks to how to calm the RERAs. Just knowing you are being plagued by them in first step, then we can at least look for solutions.

QAL

Do you know what causes them? I'm pretty sure that they are why I feel horrible. My AHI was only 6... barely even diagnostic of sleep apnea, but my RDI was much higher... 15. If I understand my doctor correctly, that means that I'm waking up 21 times per hour from some "respiratory event", but only 6 of those times "count". However, I'm exhausted all the time and frequently fall asleep. My Epworth score was 13.

So, since I was symptomatic, my doctor said we should try the cpap... and here we are.

Post Reply Post Reply
shamelessly copied from an internet search -

Quote:
A RERA (respiratory event related arousal) is an arousal associated with partial resistance to inspiratory breathing, but not enough to be called an apnea or hypopnea.

A Hypopnea usually affects the blood oxygen more, but does not need to actually wake you.

Therefore, quality of sleep is sometimes affected more by a RERA than by hypopnea. It, by nature, forcibly changes the sleep state.

It is the result of a flow restriction, caused by resistance (i.e. not a clear airway event.)

CPAP therapy is effective in treating resistance that is in flexible tissue. In theory, the airway is made up of flexible tissue.

Obviously resistance could come from marbles or peas in the nose. CPAP cannot fix that.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RDI is the addition of RERAs per hour and AHI. So, if your RDI is 15, and AHI is 6, then there are an average of 9 other events (RERAs).
Post Reply Post Reply
Insurance is usually rent for x months, then you own it. There may be a final payment. Varies with insurance plan.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2015, 12:40 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: RDI is the addition of RERAs per hour and AHI. So, if your RDI is 15, and AHI is 6, then there are an average of 9 other events (RERAs).

Oh, thanks! So that's not AS bad then.

archangle - yes, after I year, I will own the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.