Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New to treatment: AHI Worsening
RE: New to treatment: AHI Worsening
That wasn't the whole report. A diagnosis would come with it. We have had many com and state OSA without the mention of any CSA. This is important as to what machine you are eligible for. Without a CSA diagnosis, you will not be able to get the ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will try my best to get a scrip for ASV tomorrow. I'm usually very unassertive but having some corroboration helps, and my doc is fairly open from what I can tell anyway. I am curious why she chose APAP, and maybe I will find out tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Getting a sleep test scheduled for an ASV 'titration' is also good.
Post Reply Post Reply
You've received very good information here. Let us know how your Doctor's visit goes.

Print out some of the charts that you have shown here and bring with you. There should be no reason to not progress to an ASV machine, except they are playing the insurance game. Then they would try to switch you to a BiPap, in which you would probably fail at.

Hopefully you can talk your doctor into allowing you to trial an ASV.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was diagnosed with OSA. Which I found unusual considering my sleep report and what I perceived as more CA:OA, but I figured it had to do with insurance. I didn't include that portion of the report because it includes personal details. And thank you if I can't get a scrip for an ASV I'll go the route of sleep study with titration.

(04-13-2020, 03:30 PM)OpalRose Wrote: You've received very good information here.  Let us know how your Doctor's visit goes.  

Print out some of the charts that you have shown here and bring with you.  There should be no reason to not progress to an ASV machine, except they are playing the insurance game.  Then they would try to switch you to a BiPap, in which you would probably fail at.

Hopefully you can talk your doctor into allowing you to trial an ASV.

Thanks! I will do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Use some sort of edit tool to redact personal data. It depends on if your computer is Mac or Windows which may be available. I think my new Win 10 laptop has some sort of built-in editor.

Bonjour is right though, if we can see the doc notes say any concern about CA, that's ASV leverage.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope you will find time to read about DrMike, a member that joined last month with the same central apnea problem you have. This story will seem familiar, and you can see how he ended up treated by ASV in only one-week by working with his doctor and not taking no for an answer http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...HI-ASV-OMG

The ASV titration protocol I posted earlier came from this Resmed Sleep Lab Titration Guide https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf Please consider reading about the different types of machines with a focus on ASV, and you can cite this guide rather than just talk about what you heard on a forum. You need ASV, and it sounds like you have a good working relationship with the doctor. The big hold-up is often insurance, and with the sleep centers shut down they will hopefully just let you get the equipment with your doctor's diagnosis and prescription.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I spoke with my doctor. She wouldn't prescribe me an ASV at this point of time. She recommended an APAP titration study to determine if BIPAP ST should be the next step, or stick with APAP. She asserted that if I continue having central apneas whilst on APAP in the next 2 months, then I have a neurological condition and need to have brain imagining done. While I do have a neurological condition (Tourette syndrome), it's not anything which should result in central apneas.

As for my insomnia, she recommended waking up at 8 no matter how tired I am; however, I don't feel it's "possible" much of the time. For instance, I've flunked classes as a result of not waking up despite my yearning to. I feel sleep apnea largely complicates and copulates my insomnia. 

I'm really quite disappointed. I will NOT wait 5-6 months for an ASV--oh heck no. What do you guys suggest I do? Should I see a different doctor? Any recommendations in the Seattle area? 

Thank you very much.
Post Reply Post Reply
I assert this doc does not know CA very well. The CPAP machine itself could cause C02 washout which gives CA. This is treatment emergent. For some/most it will diminish with time. There's a idiopathic/unknown cause CA. And there's predominant/pre-existing CA.

Treatment emergent can, but not always will, diminish with either time or setting adjustments.
Idiopathic is unknown period, at least as far as I know.
Predominant/pre-existing in almost all cases some therapy results can be OK sometimes on CPAP, always worse, terribly so in most cases on BPAP/VAuto/ST. The only one that will work is ASV.

I suppose your Dr. Duck can say a neurological problem, but the brain and respiratory systems are responding to the signals of low C02 to not breathe. So the band-aid or fix is called ASV.

If doc doesn't get on the same page yesterday, you either replace the doc with someone that understands CA or yes you may need to buy your own ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV.

It's your call, but sometimes a patient needs to forcefully yet respectfully tell the doctor you the patient is on the wrong machine according to ResMed's machine descriptions. ASV treats CA. Get with me on this doc or I'm gone.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for this reply. I'm going to look for a doctor who understands CA more. Any recommendations as for where to buy ASV on my own, and what to do with regards to programming it?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 38 9 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 274 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 194 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 52,985 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 579 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.