Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New user
New user
Hello I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea. They gave me a dreamstation auto cpap and a dream wear mask. The first night was horrible as I was just getting used to air being blown in my nose. The doctor set the machine at 5 to 15. Last night it was better but I don't understand the humidifier settings and why it is important to use. The machine setting for the humidifier is adaptive. I had it on 4. My mouth so dry last night and my chest doesn't feel as tight as it did the first day. I also have GERD and will this interfere with the sleep apnea? Would I have to do something else to help with the sleep apnea? How long will it take to get used to this equipment?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user
Hi Ditner.  Welcome to the Apnea Board.  I strongly suggest you download and start using the software Sleepyhead.  The link is below.  Once you post your results, people here can better help you with optimizing your settings.  It would be helpful if you could post the results of your sleep study or give us a run down of the results.

The humidifier is a comfort feature but you may have a dry mouth from air leaking from your mouth when you sleep.  Sleepyhead can help determine if that's the case.  You can expect to feel better as time goes on.  It take a while to get used to sleeping with a CPAP and to feel the positive effects from its use.
Post Reply Post Reply
They told me to download DreamMapper. Once I figure out how to use it I will post the results. The only thing the doctor told me was that I had 35.6 episodes of sleep apnea. I am so new to this. Thanks for the response. I will post later the results from the app.

Thanks

Ditner
Post Reply Post Reply
DreamMapper only shows basic data.  It's ok for checking your data quickly and it's easy to upload data to it via the Bluetooth link from your Dreamstation to the app. But, and I'll say it again, it's very basic data.  Sleepyhead is a free down load and will display the data you need to optimize your therapy.  DreamMapper can't do that for you.  I do use both but if I could only use one, Sleepyhead wins without question.
Post Reply Post Reply
For gerd, I found the main thing is to change to a LCHF diet. If it still persists after a month, look at a fodmaps diet.
Google : gerd LCHF
https://www.google.com.au/search?site=&s...XJoRRVTzHo
Also put a brick under each leg of the head of your bed, to raise it 4 inches. the bed will then be on a slope. sleep on LHS, It will help keep it in your stomach.

Tight, even sore chest is normal in the first couple of weeks, as the muscles get use to breathing with cpap.

An extra dry mouth could be mouth breathing with a nasal mask, or a mask leak.
Most find the humidifier worth using, for general comfort. AS you know, you can adjust it. I would minor adjust after the main issues with dry mouth are addressed. Try and minimise as many variables as possible.

The top of the page links to manuals and sleepyhead are a must have. Follow the instructions and post some charts
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the data Thursday night max pressure 15 - 90% pressure is 11 - device mode auto Capp with a flex - ramp on - ramp time 30 - ramp start pressure is 4. AHI  is 21.4 total clear airways apneas is 104- total obstructive apneas is 68  - total hypopneas is 75.  MASK FIT 100%. -total disconnects 3

Friday's min. Pressure 5% - max pressure is 15. -90% pressure is 12.7. - device mode auto clap with a flex  - ramp on. -- ramp time 30. -  ramp start pressure is 4.  AHI is 19.4   -- total clear airways is 79. -  total apneas is. 28.  -- total hypopneas is 56.   MASK FIT is 100%.  Total disconnects is 6

I will download sleepyhead. Also I do remember having to adjust my mask a lot of times last night. My GERD IS better and I am under doctors care raising my head helps.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are raising your head with pillows, that could impact on your AHI by putting your chin to your chest and constricting your airway. Some need a cheap foam cervical collar to keep their airway open.

Till you download and get charts posted for comment. You may like it use 9cm as you minimum and starting 6 as you ramp if you need it. It should help a bit, till more accurate advice can be given by us members.

member bonjour has a good link to mask fit in his signature, also there should be a mask fit function on your machine, that blows more pressure to help you adjust your mask.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ditner,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know all of this can be overwhelming, but just stick with it.
Things will get better over time as you get used to CPAP therapy.
Good luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you I have received a lot of help ideas.

Ditner
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,105 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,138 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.