Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New user
RE: New user
Here you go. Thanks for your patience - new to this Smile

Rich.

Post Reply Post Reply
And you don't always see answers. I see no reason for the flow limits, only that they are there. All of the breathing in this segment is flow limited. Note the flat and jagged tops on the Flow Rate chart? Those are flow limits.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see you've got the ramp set for 45 minutes. In my view this is way too long, as the machine can't perform therapy during the ramp. If you start and stop a few times during the night, you will lose hours of therapy time. If possible, turn the ramp off completely. Otherwise reduce it as far as you are comfortable with.

On your charts, can I suggest you turn off the mask pressure graph? You don't need mask pressure and normal pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
You’re doing great! In addition to reducing or eliminating your ramp time, you might consider raising your minimum by 1 or 2 or 3. Many people find that they feel a bit air-starved at 4.

See how those changes go, and then perhaps the experts will recommend some additional tweaks. But it’s best not to change a lot of things all at once, and it’s wise to give changes at least a few days before you evaluate them.

It can take a while for your body to settle fully into sleeping with the machine, and it can take a while to pay off your “sleep debt.” Keep noticing how you feel, maybe even jot it down every day so you can keep track. Of course, everyone has good and bad nights quite apart from apnea, so you are unlikely to experience anything uniformly.

But it sounds as though you’re off to a very good start, and I bet you notice continuing improvement.

Now all you need is a sure-fire hangover cure....
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Dormeo.

So last night wasn't so good - though I'm getting used to sleeping with the mask now.

I've posted the single hour where almost all my events appeared to be. I think I was semi-awake at this point, and can remember thinking it's difficult exhaling against the pressure. Also, I think I was fiddling with the mask slightly to reduce a distracting leak across my chin.

The machine is set to autoramp at the moment, which I thought was supposed to detect the onset of sleep, and ramp more quickly when it detects it?

I'll try your suggestion to raise the minimum pressure by a couple, but should I also turn on EPR full time?

Thanks,
Rich.

Post Reply Post Reply
Rich, the clustering of apneas like that usually indicates there is a mechanical obstruction of your airway which the machine can't manage. In many cases this is caused by dropping your chin to your chest - this can really cause big problems. The best solution is to wear a collar to keep the chin up and the neck slightly extended. Alternatively use a pillow which supports the neck and allows your head to fall back slightly.

This wiki article tells you all about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
how did i miss that,

set your min pressure to 7 and EPR = 3 Fulltime!!! That should help with your flow limits. And with your pressures you do NOT need a ramp. The ramp is to hold pressures at where your pressures are startting at.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I'll give that a go tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is an issue with the Ramp time and pressure display - if the settings panel shows a blank line for Ramp, the Ramp is actually set to Auto an the machine, and the Ramp Time line should be ignored (or not printed)
I'm not sure when that will be fixed, as Ramp Time Auto seems to be a 'Special Case'...
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for your comments over the past few days. Now I've been using the machine for a week (4 days with the suggested minimum of 7 with EPR 3 fulltime) I think I'm starting to catch up on the sleep deprivation.

Other than a hiccup Wednesday night with an AHI approaching 6, my AHI has been averaging around 1 to 1.5, and the best nights around 0.3 to 0.5. (Last night I think I had 1 OA and 2 CA's throughout the whole night excluding sleep-wake junk).

On the catch-up phone-call with the clinician they're going to send me the heated hose, and they suggested trying some mask liners as the silicone mask seems to be irritating my skin causing redness and dryness.

They've said we can try a different mask in a few weeks if the liners don't help.

Rich.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,112 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,162 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.