Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New user
RE: New user
(02-29-2020, 11:51 AM)dickydutch Wrote: The redness and dry skin I'm getting is actually on the area of my face that is inside the mask, not under the seal. (I've always been prone to chapped lips and red-face when out in cold windy weather - so not a surprise that moving cool air from CPAP also causes the same symptoms).

Ditto.  I've had that for years, a dry, red triangle around my nose.  I'll have to see about a heated hose myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

Back again - think the CPAP is going well for me, I'm seeing improvements where I'm not feeling like dozing off in the afternoon/evening when watching TV. I think I need about 7 hours sleep a night - no matter what time I go to bed, I seem to wake up about 7 hours later - so perhaps that's my optimum.

Am posting a couple of graphs - last night and the night before. Two nights ago there's a gap as the first part of the night I tried the new P30i nasal pillow mask I bought, but I don't think I settled down with them as the gap is where I woke up and switched to the full face mask. (I did switch my S10 back to full face as well!).

The following night (last night) I tried the nasal pillows again, and think I had a successful night with them - still going to be a little trial and error getting the tightness right as my nose felt a little sore this morning.

Do these graphs looks ok (I know AHI is fine in both!), and other tweaks I ought to make to settings if I use pillows more frequently? Should I also have the mask loose enough that there's occasional slight leaks as a more around, or should it be tight enough that leaks don't happen? Judging by the leaks graph last night my body is also doing a reasonable job of preventing mouth breathing - do you agree?

Thanks,
Rich.

[Image: Thu26Mar2020.png]  [Image: Fri27Mar2020.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, your body is doing an excellent job of preventing mouth leaks. I see just a bit toward the end of the night; the earlier spikey bits of leak are probably just the mask shifting as you change position. So if the pillows seems as though they'll be more comfortable for you, then by all means persevere with them.

Do changes in pressure bother you at all? If no, don't change a thing. If yes, you could try setting min = max = 9 and see how you like that. (Your pressure seems to change primarily in response to your flow limitations, which are not bad, so you have some room to play around a bit, I think.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, thanks for that.

I think I'll get used to the pillows - but it's a completely different feeling! Still trying to find the happy medium of tight enough to minimise leaks, but not so tight it makes me nostrils feel sore.

The pressure changes aren't bothering me, so I'll leave it all as-is Smile

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share with you a "milestone".

While my nightly AHI has been hovering around 0.2 to 1 per night, last night I had my first night with 0 events Smile

Attached is the overview of AHI over the time I've had the machine. (The empty reading on March 5th is the night I was in hospital for a sleep study, so on their machine rather than mine.

I also switched to the P30i nasal pillows mask rather than the F20 full face mask, and the comfort is really good on this one.

Just thought I'd share Smile

Rich.

[Image: Overview-04042020.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, well, WELL -- look at you! Now, don't start chasing zeroes, but isn't it nice to see one?

Have you gotten a report from the recent sleep study yet?

I was looking back at your thread. "Pub quiz" -- seems as though it was in a different lifetime when we could go out drinking, doesn't it?
Post Reply Post Reply
No report yet - the appointment with the consultant is sometime in July.

I'm not expecting zeroes every night, but yes, it's nice to actually have one. I've gone through the night at a high zoom and there are still two or three instances where there might have been a central or obstructive apnoea, but not of long enough duration for the machine to register it - but I'm taking heart that the treatment does appear to be working.

Interesting the AHI figures seems to have had a significant drop at the point I changed over to a nasal pillows mask rather than a full face mask. (26th March).

I'm getting cabin fever stuck at home. I'm looking forward to Monday as I have to go into the office to do some work (can't be done remotely) and I'm classed as a key worker.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome to see your results improving so much.

How are you feeling with these changes?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

Wouldn't mind someone taking a look over my sleep study now that I've got a copy of it. For the last couple of months since the sleep study Oscar has been showing my AHI as under 1.0, I can post graphs if needed, but it appears to be consistent.

The study seems to show I'm not having RERAs, but am getting PLMS related arousals? (The APAP machine they had me using that night was a Resmed S9)

Any comments?
Thanks,
Rich.

[Image: Sleep%20Report%20Page%201.png][Image: Sleep%20Report%20Page%202.png][Image: Sleep%20Report%20Page%203.png][Image: Sleep%20Report%20Page%204.png][Image: Sleep%20Report%20Page%205.png][Image: Sleep%20Report%20Page%206.png][Image: Sleep%20Report%20Page%207.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
looking at the sleep study (& not reviewing the rest of the thread) your apnea is well controlled. if your sleep is fragmented &/or you have lingering fatigue, plm is a probable cause.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,155 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.